Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I just want to chime in my newfound love of prog (facilitated by Yes albums, specifically Fragile and In the Court of the Crimson King). So far I think I have to say my favorite tracks are Tarkus/Supper's Ready. Such rich music and I feel profoundly lucky to be able to experience it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I've been on a classic prog rock buying kick and came across a band called Aardvark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1rXQuPx3wc

This overdriven organ riff is one of the coolest loving sounds I've ever heard. The rest of the album doesn't live up to it but... I wanted to share this somewhere and this seemed like the only place that'd appreciate it.

Some others I'd shout out: Jane (self-titled album), Nektar, and Fruupp

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I love that Tony Levin has essentially frozen his aging in the early 90s
hell I saw him with Gabriel last year and he looks identical

Adrien Belew much less so... he has traded in the skullet for a baseball cap and kinda just rocks an Ernest Worrel vibe

I haven't had the chance to see Fripp live yet... someday.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jedit posted:

Got tickets for Nick Mason's Set The Controls tour for my birthday. Definitely looking forward to that. The Saucerful of Secrets were the first gig I went to after the pandemic and it was great. The set list for this tour is tightly wrapped but Lee Harris has said that it's got some really deep cuts from the early Floyd. The only things we know for sure is that it doesn't have the rumoured outtakes from Dark Side of the Moon, and they won't be playing Scream Thy Last Scream or Careful With That Axe, Eugene as neither track really worked.

Got to see them in 2022 in the US and it was really drat good. They played in an old converted theater and the oil projections and retro lighting were so cool
Gary Kemp is also a surprisingly good front man.
It seems like it'd be such an easy thing to accidentally fall into tribute band territory and end up being kinda sad, but it's such a pleasantly tight production. Anyone who likes early floyd should check'em out

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

Adrian's bassist is Julie Slick, and his drummer is Johnnie deLuca.

For Julie, look up her music on Bandcamp or that of Echotest, a group she's in with my friend Marco Machera. Who you should also look up on Bandcamp.

She's not in her 20s any more, I can vouch since I was at her 30th birthday party concert in Philly, lol.

I'm pretty sure she was playing bass with him and Jerry Harrison on their Remain in Light tour right (the rest of the band was Cool Cool Cool formerly Turkuaz)

But yeah if that was her she loving owned the Tina vibes for that show

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

JAMOOOL posted:

Nektar are pretty silly most of the time I feel

Nektar are awesome, hell yeah.

Add Eloy (Dawn and Ocean albums) and early Premiata Forneria Marconi to that list

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Solumin posted:

Figured you've all probably seen this, but I don't think it got posted here: https://beat-tour.com/

Adrian Belew, Steve Vai, Tony Levin and Danny Carey are performing the 80s King Crimson albums Discipline, Beat, and Three Of A Perfect Pair. They've got Fripp's blessing, even.
The tour starts in September. Absolute powerhouse of a lineup, I'm really tempted to buy tickets.

gently caress yeah I'm in

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hexwren posted:

yeah, it's sold out here as well. rip

DC practically is already but there's an entire row already up for resale

I'm so loving tired of scalpers and everyone in the chain makes so much money there's just never a reason for anyone to fix the system

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'd vouch for Hackett's "Voyage of the Acolyte" as basically being as close to a Genesis album as non-Genesis albums get, mostly because everyone but Gabriel played on the drat thing anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Would you consider post-Aqualung Jethro Tull to fit in there? Like... Thick as a Brick through maybe Minstrel at the very least I would say have very similar qualities.

God knows it's some of my favorite music ever written and Jethro Tull too often gets crunched in as just the Aqualung band and that may be one of Anderson's least interesting albums when you put them all together