Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Myrmidongs posted:

I admittedly don't know much metal, but for quite some time Pain of Salvation were viewed as great up and comers, releasing a handful of really good concept albums, then they sort jumped the shark.

How many of their non-Remedy Lane albums have held up over time? I'm worried it'll all come across as all a bit dated now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I listened to Moving Pictures and I decided I don't really like Rush very much. So I go "well, I guess I should listen to some of their 'bad' material to be sure."

Turns out I really like Caress of Steel. Very strange.

In other news I was listening to Opeth's Deliverance on spotify and realized that I bought it new in a record store after hearing it on the radio. :corsair:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Seventh Arrow posted:

Rush has a bunch of different "stages," so if you don't like one of their albums, there's a good chance you might like something else by them. It's a little like finding out where to start with Frank Zappa.

Starting with Zappa is Over-nite Sensation and Hot Rats, right? Or have times changed since that was the default start point.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Turns out after all these years I still know, by heart, an embarrassing amount of the lyrics from Scenes From A Memory. :negative:

Vulture Culture posted:

Pain of Salvation's Remedy Lane got a remix treatment from Jens Bogren, and the result was released a couple weeks ago. It's... eh. One of the more endearing things to me about the original album is that the tracks all had a slightly different feel to the mix that paired with the particular emotions of that specific song, and that seems to have been flattened out. Some of the more subtle moments vocally are evened out a bit too much, and occasionally the quiet parts are buried under the over-mechanized snare drum.

The live performance on the second disc is really good, though.

That was one of my favorites as a younger lad, might have to give it a listen.

E: It feels meatier in a way that I dig, but I understand your fears about the nuance being gone.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 30, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Some PoS can feel academic to me. But I still think that Remedy Lane is a classic.

Also, I listened to some Flower Kings for the first time in a decade the other day. The first like, 10 minutes of I Am The Sun are pretty good. I just get bored with the remaining parts. :haw:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

I've only ever listened to The Perfect Element and was never big on it. Is old PoS worth listening to if I couldn't get into that record much?

Remedy Lane, yes ;). It, despite clearly being a concept album and dicking about with wack time signatures and polyrhythms is probably the least overtly proggy of all their stuff. It's also one of the few albums of theirs that I can engage with in more than an intellectual way. Also two thirds of the songs on the album have distinct personalities that I can actually recall and not just a whole bunch of samey prog stuff. And I'll be blunt there are probably a few legitimate hooks on that album which I really dig. And finally, when they do do something intellectual it actually comes in service of the music and not a "hey look how cool we are" kinda way.

I mean having said that, you may still not like it, but for those reasons it's my favourite album.

I don't hold the rest of the early stuff in high regard, and I haven't listened to them in ages. My memory of One Hour By The Concrete Lake is it's an example of everything I dislike about PoS in one album: dispassionate and intellectual music and subject matter. But man, New Years Eve is still one of my favourite songs of theirs.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
SFAM loving works for me in a way that no album of theirs has or ever will again. And this isn't a nostalgia thing either, I picked it up on a whim for 3 hour road trip and the whole time I was air-keyboarding the ridiculous solos and falsettoing my way through Fatal Tragedy.

Rollersnake posted:

I think even their best albums are pretty uneven. Scenes from a Memory is my favorite by them, and even that has some awful tracks. I was bored with them by Systematic Chaos, and haven't listened to their last three albums.

Can I guess and say Through Her Eyes and One Last Time? Maybe The Spirit Carries On Which I unironically enjoy

For what it's worth, everything from Regression -> Beyond This Life are like, unimpeachable in my opinion. Then the back end has Home and the Dance of Eternity which are solid numbers.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 2, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
New Transatlantic when.

poo poo sorry, I just say that out of habit.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finding out at last that furry is
A state of mind

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This is so strange, For most of my life I subscribed to the "Dream Theater is a bunch of technical wank" school of thought, but now I find myself thinking that Scenes From a Memory, Awake, A Change of Seasons and Images and Words are good actually?

I never thought I'd turn 180 on a band so much.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love how Primus would just randomly stick the YYZ into the start of their songs for fun.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hawklad posted:

Speaking of remixes, I am listening to the 20th anniversary remix of The Perfect Element. It's very solid, bringing out little instrumental nuances everywhere, and much wider and brighter than the original (which I always thought was a little muddy on the low end but that could be taste).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy-E5IvLn-U

Oh no I am going to have to listen to this now huh.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I think this tune got a run during the nadir of Phish's opiate phase so it's interesting hearing it in this setting.

Kazinsal posted:

Dream Theater's newest live album is out.

Even studio overdubs can't save James in 2020. Disappointing, yet impressive that he can manage to start any word with the syllable WWWWAAAAAUUUUUUGHHHH and the word still comes out mostly recognizable.

e: christ James stop deep throating the mic and causing it to clip when you're speaking to the audience in between songs
I don't recognise any of the tunes other than SFAM.

James really sounds great on Dance of Eternity though you have to admit.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 5, 2020

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kazinsal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWP4JLUxiqY

New Liquid Tension Experiment is pretty sick

Very nice.

Astrochicken posted:

Inspired by news of a new live album by DT, I went ahead and gave it a listen. Newer stuff is not great. Scalding hot take, I know. Scenes however is still really fun to listen to and has well written songs. I could just be old and out of touch?

I haven't listened to any new DT since, Octavarium? But SFAM totally owns and I'm unironically glad we have 2 full live recordings of it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno guys they wrote a lot of good material in the years 1985-2005 so they might play some of that.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic posted:

Imagine my surprise when I checked my YouTube subscriptions a little while ago and saw that Rick Beato did an hour long interview with Steven Wilson :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03vThmG46A8

On this topic, I'm dying at the In Absentia doc where Steven calls Trains "overrated" and "It's people's favorite song, but it's not even the best song on the album."

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just realised, as I was driving around listening to Images and Words, that I haven't listened to any DT albums post Six Degrees. What are the best albums after that I should check out?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kazinsal posted:

Not on YouTube Music yet it looks like. :( It was on there years ago but disappeared at some point. I haven't listened to that album in forever.

I remember loving Ytse Jam might check it out.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMtiSGaj3Tg

In case you needed Primus, Danny and Justin from Tool and Troy from Queens of the Stoneage jamming out on Thela Hun Ginjeet well, I've got you covered.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
drat you guys are brave, I just drive around with a CD copy of I&W singing Learning To Live at the top of my voice whenever it comes on.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I used to be frightened of singing I used to think James was the end. But that was before I'm not scared any more.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
But was he fired via conference call or fax though? That's the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf9Uuk9udNA

Just reminding you all of King Crimson on Conan and Bill Burford's matching jacket and drum kit.

And Robert Fripp's entire vibe.