Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Prog Doctor posted:

And to comment on the SW/Porcupine Tree trend, I am the only one who isn't impressed by Grace For Drowning? I got the 3-disc deluxe edition that came in that hardcover book. I thought Gavin would have done a much better job on drums. I thought the first disc was really good, but the third disc should have been scrapped altogether. Most of the second disc was mediocre, nothing special. I thought Insurgentes was much better. GfD just seemed to ramble, like he'd jammed to song ideas, then took those demos and produced the poo poo out of them, and released it as an album.
I really love the first disc, but I don't find the second one half as engaging; I do enjoy Insurgentes more as a whole (also to anyone who doesn't have the bonus tracks from the special edition, listen to Collecting Space and the alternate version of Insurgentes [subtitled Mexico], they're fantastic)

Prog Doctor posted:

I love PT though. FOABP was my introduction to them, and I went back and bought their back catalog chronologically. But being my first PT experience, FOABP is still my favorite of theirs.
I've got FOABP, The Incident, Deadwing and In Absentia's 5.1 mixes ordered, should be arriving soon :pervert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Anyway, if I want to have a drumgasm to something with Gavin in, I just listen to his amazing side project Gavin Harrison & 05Ric. Aw yeah.

Dunno if you've seen this, but the first 500 copies of the new album will be signed. I've been meaning to check this out for a while and haven't gotten around to it.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Oh dang, I didn't even know there was a new album. Cheers!
It's really worth subscribing to the Kscope newsletters, I just found out there's a new Anathema album coming in April from it too :v:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Man, that's a crazy good price. I paid $38 just for In the Court of the Crimson King on CD :smith:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

The new OSI album is up for preorder (pretty cheap too)

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

solids2k posted:

I just happened upon news that Ian Anderson has written and recorded a sequel to Thick As A Brick which is to be released April 2nd of this year! Apparently it is technically a solo effort, which means no Martin Barre, and that fact has me skeptical but I can't help but be intrigued. The brief samples in the promo video linked below definitely sound to be in the spirit of the original so I can't help but be a little bit excited.

Thick As A Brick 2 Promo; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7jZMCBEsZM

There was an interview I read with Steven Wilson (who mixed it) which had a bit on this:

Steven Wilson posted:

Ian said to me “I’ve written Thick as a Brick 2.” I said “That’s interesting.” He told me about this very interesting concept of what would have happened to Gerald Bostock, the eight-year-old kid that supposedly wrote the lyrics, originally. He said it looks at what path his life would have taken. It sounded like a really interesting concept. But I’ll be perfectly honest, part of me also was very skeptical that he could pull it off. There’s always a danger in doing a sequel and it doesn’t just apply to music but to movies and books—it can never live up to the expectation if the original is an established classic, as Thick as a Brick is. I talked with Ian about it and said “If you’re going to do it, you have to do it with the original musical palette. You have to go back and use acoustic guitar, flutes, harpsichords, glockenspiels, and all the things that made the original special. You have to keep it a very organic record and almost go back to the spirit of 1972.” He seemed totally onboard with that and the record is good. I’m not going to say it’s as good as the original, but it’s a very strong piece of work and a credible attempt by one of the legends of ‘70s progressive music to recapture the zeitgeist and feeling of their greatest work.

Speaking of Steven Wilson I am just listening to the 5.1 DTS mix of Deadwing for the first time and it is something else :swoon:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

If any of you guys are interested, here's the whole interview. It's long but a good read

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I am really excited for Storm Corrosion, and have no idea what to expect. I read somewhere that there is only drums on 15-20% of the music, and also that it's the opposite to what everyone will think it is. I'll definitely be keen to get my hands on the blu-ray release of it

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

glompix posted:

Hello prog thread! I'm just really getting into the genre after years of just listening to Rush, Opeth, Enslaved, and that sort of stuff since high school. Listened (heavily) to the majority of Crimson and (early) Yes over the year or so now I'm looking for more.

This man. After reading all the Steven Wilson love in this thread, I had to check PT out. Wow. Loaded up all of their stuff on Spotify in chronological order, and about to finish In Absentia. I already love this band.

Thanks, goons! :allears:

Be sure to check out Insurgentes and Grace For Drowning, too. At the moment, Insurgentes is my favourite SW work.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

...Steven Wilson is remixing King Crimson albums in 5.1? How did I not hear about this :psyduck:

Actually, I may have, I probably just forgot. But holy hell, is that going to be awesome.

A lot of them have been out for a long while :psyduck:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

ITCOTKC's remaster is the only remaster where I've ever thought "holy poo poo how did this sound so bad before now?" The older releases feel like 96kbps MP3s in comparison.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

I really do need to hear the 40th Anniversary remasters, but haven't been able to bring myself to buy one. There's no band in the world I have spent more money on.

Maybe this will convince you?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

While we're still on Steven Wilson and 5.1 mixes, I am on a Porcupine Tree 5.1 binge again and In Absentia and The Incident are absolutely made for this format. Definitely the best purchases I've ever made for my music collection.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I think Dream Theater have put out some good songs since Six Degrees, but for the most part it's been pretty bad. I do think the quality of the music itself overshadows the terrible-ness of the lyrics on a lot of those good songs though (The Count of Tuscany, In The Presence of Enemies pt 1, Octavarium in particular). I think In The Name Of God is the only post-6DOIT song where I like the lyrics and music as much as each other.

I haven't been able to get in to the Mars Volta as easily, but I do like listening to De-Loused In The Comatorium occasionally v:v:v

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I had been waiting eagerly for the CD/DVD version of Weather Systems to arrive before I listened to it so I could play it in 5.1. It arrived yesterday and my first impression was that I liked it but a few songs didn't really grab me. I've listened to it like three times today though and I like it more and more every time. I think I prefer it as a whole to anything else that they've done, but my favourite Anathema songs are from a wide scope of their albums (right now, at least). A Simple Mistake, Universal, Flying, Are You There?, Fragile Dreams and Release are hard songs to best in my book.

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 24, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

John Petrucci posted:

Writing for the next DT album officially commenced while in Osaka the other day. Jet lag seems to open up one's creative channels.

That was quick.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I am really keen for my Storm Corrosion blu-ray to arrive, I've heard nothing but praise so far. I suppose I haven't really listened to much music from this year, but I think my album of the year so far is Valtari by Sigur Rós, closely followed by Weather Systems (tied with Fire Make Thunder by OSI)

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Kegwen posted:

On Steven Wilson's current tour, they've been playing a song from his next album titled Luminol. It apparently has been going over well with audiences.

I can see why.

I love it when Steven Wilson surprises me. I expected more Grace for Drowning.

The first 4:30 had me worried (what is the deal with that bassline) but I really enjoyed the rest of it. I am always going to be keen for an Insurgentes 2.0 the most though

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I caved and went out and bought the Storm Corrosion CD/blu-ray instead of waiting for it to arrive. I really like it, it's pretty much what i was expecting to hear (in a general sense) and there's really good stuff from both parties. The acoustic guitar and Mikael's vocals are especially good. If you have the blu-ray the demo and instrumental tracks are worth listening to as well, I ripped them to MP3s for convenience sake and I am loving the hell out of the Hag demo :woop:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I'd like to suggest Hemispheres by Rush, Signify by Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater's Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (disc 2's suite) & A Change of Seasons.

I think Signify is the perfect blend of chill space/psychedelic rock and prog rock and has some pretty accessible stuff on it, like Waiting and Sleep of No Dreaming plus the unique stuff like Every Home is Wired and Dark Matter.

A Change of Seasons is pretty much where I got started on prog, and is easily one of their easiest to listen to all the way through (which is pretty good considering it's one of DT's longest songs). Six Degrees has some serious variety in it and again, is really easy to listen to all the way through.

Hemispheres is a classic, and songs like La Villa Strangiato are what cement Rush's place as legends as far as I'm concerned.

e: added some links

\/\/\/ I've always considered it a bit less proggy than their later work (except for the title track). SW has said he regrets it because of it's Floydian vibe but I do love it (especially Stars Die and Moonloop)

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 15, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

poo poo, Four Chords That Made a Million was on Lightbulb Sun, wasn't it? Oh well, at least it's under four minutes long.

It's not because The Sky Moves Sideways is chill that I dislike it, it's just that I find it incredibly uninteresting and tedious for what it is. I mean, I've listened to it several times and find it difficult to remember any of it aside from the chorus to Stars Die, which isn't even on the original version of the album anyway.

It was on the original US release :eng101:

But I am in the same boat with every album at least having a song I usually skip (Don't Hate Me, Tinto Brass, Four Chords, Creator Had A Mastertape, etc.) but I regularly listen to all of their albums in full because I find those songs don't neutralise or worsen the album enough for me to dismiss any of it. I can forgive SW for Drawing The Line because it leads into Kneel and Disconnect, but I can definitely see where you're coming from.

Rollersnake posted:

I'd maybe get A Farewell to Kings first

Actually I totally agree with this, I've really only started listening to AFTK recently (I don't know why I was neglecting it) and it really is fantastic the whole way through.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I totally agree but the chorus sounds so out of place it completely ruins it every time, haha. If any of you have the gear, The Incident in 5.1 is phenomenal (especially the sub-track The Incident)

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I didn't mention 2112 because I prefer Hemispheres as a whole. I love the song 2112 (especially Presentation) but the only song I like off side 2 is A Passage To Bangkok, and that isn't half as good as like, The Trees or Circumstances I think.

\/\/\/ I gave it a shot and while I didn't think it was bad, I don't think it's that great. I really like Caravan but from there it just kind of all sounds the same. I probably just need to give it more of a chance but it didn't do it for me on first listen.

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 19, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Given the fact that Stupid Dream sells for over $250 pretty much any time someone decides to sell one, The Sky Moves Sideways. You can get it from burning shed for like $20.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I'm pretty sure TAAB2 got a mention in here at least 2 months ago. Apparently it's actually a worthy enough followup but, obviously, not as good as the original.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

d0s posted:

EDIT2: Just read the thread and found out there's a 40th anniversary edition that sounds even better than this, I guess one day I'll own yet another copy of this album.

You can get all the 40th anniversary remasters from Steven Wilson's headphone dust store for like $10.

Also Steven Wilson has a new DVD (Get All You Deserve) coming out in September, pre orders are up on kscope Burning Shed.

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 6, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Would it be wrong for me to say that Steven Wilson & co. put on some of the tightest live performances out there? The one time I saw Porcupine Tree live and every live video I've seen of them performing live proves to me that, despite having a ton going on on-stage, they don't seem to miss a beat. It all comes together in this grandiose, technically impressive and beautiful package that most performers I've seen don't come close to rivaling.

The band he chose for the solo tour is incredible, I'm really excited to see Abandoner and Get All You Deserve on the blu-ray to see how they work. I haven't been able to see any of his stuff live yet, and it's killing me because I don't think I could be a bigger fan if I tried. drat Australia :argh:

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 14, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I'm not even sure what to think of a 15-disc set :psyduck:

edit: £74.99 for the 15-disc box set on Burning Shed.

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 18, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Prog Doctor posted:

Wow, I didn't even think to check Burning Shed for a pre-order. I that that blurb was implying that it wasn't available yet, and they were just teasing us! I just ordered it from Burning Shed as well - though I had to call my credit card company because they auto-red flagged my account because they counted this (rightly, I suppose) as an "unusual purchase". $140 is definitely worth it!

The blurb was from SWHQ's Headphone Dust store which still doesn't have a price, Burning Shed announced it a few days later in their newsletter. Headphone Dust isn't usually any cheaper though.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

StarsDie.com posted:

Porcupine Tree ‘Octane Twisted’ 2CD/DVD to be released November 5th

Kscope have just announced on the twenty ninth edition of their post-progressive podcast that Porcupine Tree will be releasing ‘Octane Twisted’ a 2CD/DVD set on November 5th. The audio and video will be taken from the band’s show on 2nd May 2010 at the Riviera Theater, Chicago, which was one of the many shows on the tour in which ‘The Incident’ was performed in it’s entirety.

According to setlist.fm the setlist for that night was:

quote:

First Set: The Incident
    Occam's Razor
    The Blind House
    Great Expectations
    Kneel and Disconnect
    Drawing the Line
    The Incident
    Your Unpleasant Family
    The Yellow Windows of the Evening Train
    Time Flies
    Degree Zero of Liberty
    Octane Twisted
    The Séance
    Circle of Manias
    I Drive the Hearse
Second Set:
    Hatesong
    Lazarus
    Russia on Ice (first half)
    Anesthetize (Part 2: "The Pills I'm Taking")
    Stars Die
    Normal
    Bonnie the Cat
Encore:
    Blackest Eyes
    Trains

Colour me excited, I missed The Incident tour and I hear it's incredible live, I am so excited to be getting anything fresh out of PT. Also, Stars Die is pretty much one of my favourite songs ever, hope that makes the cut :aaaaa:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Steven Wilson posted:

Another quick reminder about this Thursday's world premiere of my new concert film 'Get All You Deserve', directed by Lasse Hoile. Following the screening there will be a Q&A where I'll do my best to answer any questions you may have about the film and the tour. Tickets are available from the Prince Charles Cinema website (link below) - a few special friends are in town and will also be attending. The film will be released on Blu-ray and DVD on 24th September. Later this month I will be in Los Angeles starting the recording of the follow up to Grace for Drowning, this time with my live band, which now includes latest addition, guitarist extraordinaire Guthrie Govan. The legendary Alan Parsons will be overseeing the recording process, and Lasse will also be there to film us at work on the album - we'll be bringing you exclusive video footage via the official Steven Wilson YouTube channel once things are underway.

:aaaaa:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Katina posted:

(disclaimer: I am the guitarist's daughter. So I could be biased.)

Well, this is pretty rad.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I have never actually listened to Marillion. That is probably a thing which I should do.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Prog Doctor posted:

Just got home from work - only to find Get All You Deserve waiting for me on the table. For some reason I could have sworn the release date was October 15...oh well. I'm not complaining!

It sounds really good so far. Marco's drumming on "No Twilight..." is really groovy, with the perfect amount of showy on top. Though that awesome bass riff isn't prominent enough in the mix until about the 5 minute mark. Prior to that, it sort of sounds like an improv off of King Crimson's The Great Deceiver box set.

Its official release was the 24th of September, I'm hoping my copy is waiting for me when I go home from this holiday. The order pages for the regular editions are up on burning shed too for all you casual SW fans.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

The new Porcupine Tree CD/DVD set Octane Twisted is available for preorder on Burning Shed. The copies which come with the DVD are limited though (the regular edition is just a 2CD set) so you'd be wanting to get in now if you are a fan.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I just heard Larks' Tongues In Aspic for the first time last week (finally found a vinyl copy), I'll probably end up getting the SW mix. That man can do no wrong :allears: It's a hell of an album too, those crushing guitars in part 1 are incredible.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Speaking of 2112, it's finally getting reissued in 5.1 in mid December. It's coming out in CD/DVD and CD/bluray formats and there's a deluxe CD/bluray set which comes in a hardback book with the story in comic form.

Not a fan of the revamped artwork though, the star makes it.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Prog Doctor posted:

My copy of Octane Twisted arrived a couple days ago. I got the 2 cd/dvd set. It sounds great (though some parts did suffer from reduced layers of guitar). My favorite track, though, wasn't even one from The Incident. My favorite track from the set is Dislocated Day off of The Sky Moves Sideways. So I was very excited to pop in the dvd...only to discover it only includes the first set! I'm feeling a bit ripped off! Anyone else as disappointed as I am?

Nope. They made it pretty clear the DVD just has The Incident on it. Stars Die is the highlight for me, I've been waiting so long to hear a live version of that :allears: The only thing I'm disappointed about is how low John Wesley's vocals are in the mix, he's always a highlight in their live performances.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

deadwing posted:

Speaking of Steven Wilson...

So excited for this, his band lineup is wicked here.

Just saw this on his facebook page. I am really excited as well, the clips in the LA recording session videos all sound great, and the lineup is killer. I'm not terribly keen on the artwork but I will probably preorder the deluxe book version and LP :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I personally have an issue with how MOST Rush CDs sound. I have the Different Stages live CD and it's so loud and brickwalled that I actually can't listen to it at all. I'm really reluctant to pick up their 5.1 remasters honestly because of the quality of their production (plus reading about some people's experiences with their DVD-As are really off putting). Having said that though, I got the Sector 2 box set and A Farewell To Kings sounds great in 5.1