Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet
Oh Jesus it's taken me far too long to discover this thread.

Il Tempio delle Clessidre
Really nice Italian prog rock. I'm not really exposed to this kind of singing very often, so maybe I'm appreciating it a little bit more than I should.

In the same vein, Goblin has some cool stuff. I actually discovered these dudes while watching the original Dawn of the Dead, the music impressed me so much I actually went out of my way to see who did the music. I never do that.

Haken. Do you guys love Haken? I guess these guys are more progressive metal than rock, but who cares. Both of their albums are masterpieces as far as I'm concerned. They also helped me get some perspective on how loving terrible Dream Theater has gotten. This is good music.

What should I listen to of Steven Wilson's? I've tried listening to some of his solo stuff, a few Porcupine Tree songs, and I can't seem to get into any of it. I need some direction here.

edit: gently caress it, I don't want to like Steven Wilson. The man reminds me too much of some sort of wispy butterfly.

Orbital Sapling fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet
God drat you guys like Porcupine Tree. Pretty sure Zappa fits in fine here.

So I've been listening to Harmonium's "Si on avait besoin d'une cinquième saison" a bunch lately and it's loving brilliant. Listen to this. I know a few of you guys like them too, are there any other similar artists with this kind of laid back prog kinda stuff? Massive bonus points if it's in French. Or any foreign language for that matter.

For some reason I appreciate music so much more when I don't have (usually awful) English lyrics getting in the way, rather I just kind of imagine something extremely profound is being said that couldn't be communicated through English. Ha. It's stupid I know, but it adds a whole new element that I love.