Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BigFactory posted:

Marillion are so good live. I’m seeing sleepytime gorilla museum next week and starting to get pumped up for it. New album rules.

Fish is on his farewell tour right now, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Oh yeah, I promised a trip report on the No-Man box set after I listened to it. Which I have. It's five discs in all, comprising three albums, a collection of all the singles and a disc of radio sessions.

Of the three albums, I thought Lovesighs: An Entertainment was the best. It's smooth and a little bit jazzy, and even the weakest tracks flow past readily. It shares a lot of DNA with early Porcupine Tree (the main riff for keystone track Days In The Trees is reused from Mute) but has it's own style. The cover of Donovan's Colours is also pretty neat. I'd definitely recommend it.

Loveblows and Lovecries: A Confession is more of a mixed bag. If I had to describe the overall mood, it would be "an album of Seal covers by the Pet Shop Boys, produced by the Shamen". It reminded me greatly of the latter's album En-Tact, which isn't entirely surprising as they had done a remix for Lovesighs and were friendly. It's not bad by any means, but someone I know described it as the most painfully 90s album they'd ever heard and I can't disagree with that.

Flowermouth is the quintessential non-essential album. That may seem like a strange thing to say when it featured every original member of Porcupine Tree in some capacity (Colin Edwin isn't on the album itself, but played acoustic sessions) plus heavy session work from Robert Fripp. However, Steven Wilson was dividing his attention between No-Man and the Tree and it was obvious that No-Man was increasingly becoming his side project. He'd always been writing tracks and passing some of them on to No-Man as he felt Tim Bowness could provide better vocals and lyrics for the music, but by this point he was definitely keeping all the best ones for himself and passing on the cast-offs.

The singles and sessions discs are mainly for completists, so won't be an incentive for anyone who doesn't like all three albums.

On the whole I'm far from unhappy with the set and I'll certainly revisit it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gaspy Conana posted:

i'm in the mood for some silly wacky prog. like, good natured silly. (no Zappa, sorry)

either musical or lyrical playfulness or both could work. Canterbury and bands like Gong/Caravan come to mind, as does early Spock's Beard. any other suggestions?

Aphrodite's Child are absurd, if that counts. You're starting from the premise of "what if Vangelis formed a prog band with Demis Roussos on vocals" and moving on from there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

here's a fun question for this thread:

what would you say is the most epic, powerful vocal ever to deliver the absolute dumbest concept in prog music? like, the pinnacle of both axes: an absolutely astonishing performance of an incredibly loving stupid concept

IQ's Subterranea is a really good performance of a song about Hollow Earth Theory.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

JAMOOOL posted:

if you're looking for neo prog that sounds like Genesis I'd skip Marillion for now and go with IQ

I don't think IQ sound like Genesis at all.