Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What we used to call dad rock is now grandad rock. Pull Me Under is 30 years old, it's dad rock by definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I knew they'd be together on tour, but Devin used to have a thing about not performing songs that he didn't write or contributed to, so it's nice that he joined the fun. There are videos of the last song from different gigs, and LaBrie's performances are very hit and miss (mostly miss), while Devin just gets better the more they perform together. I guess it's not fair to compare, since LaBrie had to struggle to keep his voice after the injury, while Devin expanded his range, and his voice only improved with years. Still, it's night and day when they are together on stage. Devin is simply one of the best live performers out there.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lmao, what a dramatic turn of events...

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Portnoy's been in so many things since his departure, I don't know if he's still got that Dream Theater spark in him. It's definitely going to be an interesting album, though.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BigFactory posted:

Is it, though?

The band will probably feel bad about trying to reign in any creative input from Portnoy, so I expect it to be interesting but not necessarily good.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Vulture Culture posted:

this would be a big step up from their last decade and a half of material, which is neither good nor interesting

something that occurred to me the other day is how Dream Theater were lambasted into the mid-2000s for their music just being pastiches of recent bands, while the problem is really that their fanbase was too young to recognize the previous decade of pastiches of stuff that came out before they got into Dream Theater

They were also wrong not to like pastiches of Muse.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I want to hear the whole AA saga live.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If we're talking Canadians who could replace LaBrie, I'll add Sebastian Bach.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SgtScruffy posted:

Funfacts, Portnoy toured briefly in “Mike Portnoys Shattered Fortress” specifically so he could play it live. I always felt like he was excited to play it all in a row live when it was finished, but their last tour after it was completed was opening for Maiden so they never got the chance

Huh, I missed that somehow. They had a pretty good lineup, apparently.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
His concept album trilogy was weird and questionable, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. RIP.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

strap on revenge posted:

some absolute bops on Mildlife's new album which came out today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaes7ozjDEw

I am so glad there are prog bands that still make actual music videos instead of glorified visualisers and AI-generated garbage.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BigFactory posted:

Ok, definitely bad now

Townsend rules, you fool.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Toehider. Very whimsical at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHP_SDCb1-0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmhIHreTCy8

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Didn't expect to hear Devin Townsend singing in Mandarin today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs5urTGnhzk

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Vulture Culture posted:

Todd La Torre, I think Geoff Tate's been touring under his own name since the lawsuit

His band is called Operation: Mindcrime, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Vulture Culture posted:

That project broke up a few years ago

Turns out I'm not up to date on my Tate lore, huh. According to wiki, though, he hired new band members in 2018 and they're still doing live shows under that name. It's all very confusing.