Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

BigFactory posted:

Ignoring that Grace Under Pressure exists. Shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

strap on revenge posted:

jealous. they have confirmed they'll be playing anesthetize but everything else is a mystery

gently caress yeah!

Rust Martialis posted:

This answers a question

Double-gently caress yeah! (Who was the idiot who thought they'd actually go with a pre-recorded bass track? You deserve a flogging).

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
drat.

Will be spinning Drama on the turntable later.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I STEP AWAY FROM THE INTERNET FOR A WEEK AN THERE'S A NEW TMV SONG? TF?!?!

Also has anyone (who pre-ordered) gotten their Closure/Continuation yet? Mine's still ain't here.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
HOLY poo poo CONCEPTION'S ENTIRE BACK CATALOG HAS BEEN SAVED FROM LICENSING HELL

https://open.spotify.com/artist/25612xyhRN1JRqXVlmghpr?si=zw2DmLPIT_Wgf7CFTQakqg&utm_source=copy-link

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Not feeling Act II at all tbh. Too happy for me.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

loving hell they were perfect.

Anesthetize... :anime:

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
New TMV's the weakest thing they've ever done, but I appreciate them wanting to do whatever the gently caress they want.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

some decently dep cuts too. Really happy to hear Drown With Me and Buying New Soul live.

e: new members are pretty great too. My sincere hope is they click well enough that they end up writing some new more material together, but IIRC SW's made it pretty clear they're touring members only, so :shrug:

What's funny is I'd never heard Buying New Soul or Last Chance before this.

I need to give Lightbulb Sun a full listen one of these days (Never got around to that or Recordings for some reason).

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

DoubleCakes posted:

Coincidentally I just listened to Lightbulb Sun for the first time and it's on the top half of best PT albums. I don't remember enough of PT's 90s stuff to make a good comparison, but I liked the grooves of Lightbulb Sun. I think it's a frontloaded album, though.

I've fallen in a Frost* hole. It started with me relistening to Milliontown, an album I think is a pretty great modern prog album. But then I checked out Experiments in Mass Appeal, revisited Day And Age and thought the former was quite good and warmed up a lot to the latter. Then just now I checked out Falling Satellites and drat that might be their best album. A masterpiece!

Over the last week I've been cramming them hard and I think Frost* might be a great prog band.

Falling Satellites is one of the finest albums of the 2010's.

There's something very, you know, progressive about it. Very cool, very fresh.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
For any TesseracT fans in here, I'll be airing an interview I had with Daniel Tompkins for my radio show during the 8pm hour (show runs from 7-10pm ET and can be heard here) this Monday night. Got to talk to him about the upcoming TesseracT album, new solo stuff, and IPAs.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Colonel J posted:

I hope he does Dancing With the Moonlit Knight.

I'd love to see him bring Phil Collins as a guest drummer and replaces all mellotron/keyboard sounds with Phil screaming in pain.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Only time I've ever seen them live, so I'm very glad I did when I had the chance this time around (unlike TMV who I missed out on entirely).

Rust Martialis posted:

His recently acquired mannerisms of rapidly looking Left/right/left to flip his hair and Making Cool Gestures with pointed finger *really* are overdone.

Also the Copenhagen show WAS TOO loving LOUD. The audience literally packed the back of the hall denser than the front to get away from the speakers.

The NYC show was one of the better engineered concerts I've been to. Never got too loud to the point of distorting/breaking apart except for the middle of Anesthetize (which was awesome because that's basically the show's climax anyways).

Now Dream Theater in 2014 at the Hammerstein... that was the worst engineered poo poo I'm glad I brought my Etymotics to.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Train of Thought - DT going thrash. Works for the most part. This Dying Soul and Stream Of Consciousness bang pretty hard.

Octavarium - Probably the final stone cold DT classic. More classically progressive rock in nature with nods to Muse and U2.

Systematic Chaos - Portnoy starts going up his own rear end, but in hindsight it's quite enjoyable for some of the swings it takes (even if a few of them don't work), something I wish the Mangini-era did more of (still waiting for that 90125/Abacab/Signals-style synthpop DT album).

Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Mostly a dud tbh. Not much worthwhile other than A Nightmare To Remember.

A Dramatic Turn Of Events - The best post-Octavarium album. Tasty instrumentals, inspirational as gently caress to the point where it’s kind of nauseating (the lyrics in the Mangini-era borders on Christian self-help stuff and it only gets more blatant from here). Awful album cover, phoned-in drums, good poo poo none-the-less.

S/T - Best produced DT album outside of Awake. Bass, guitar, and drum tones are on point (especially on the 24bit versions which have a dramatic increase in dynamic range). Does kinda redo the formula of the previous album but the compositions are still somewhat engaging. The book club-rear end lyrics do start to become grating. The Looking Glass is awesome and might as well be a lost Rush song.

The Astonishing - NO.

Distance Over Time - I never gave myself the time to sit with this one, but it seems they went the opposite direction of The Astonishit with tighter performaces. I should give it another spin sometime.

A View From The Top Of The World - What kind of smug rear end in a top hat came up with that title? Instrumentals can vary from tasty to boring noodling (same can be said compositionally). Nice meaty production, the LAZIEST lyrics, and LaBrie's voice is shot to hell.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The British are worse.

I remember listening to the most recent Pendragon album and being so embarrassed I avoided anything prog for a year.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Paladinus posted:

I rarely check on interviews of the smaller bands I listen to (you're going to hear from Roger Waters no matter what), so I can only hope Arena are still fine.

I wish Arena would re-record all their old stuff with Damian Wilson (or at least just the vocals). That's another band where their best stuff is marred by not-great singers.

I'd love to hear Witch Hunt with Damian on vox fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucck.

Warthur posted:

Yeah, I recently purged Pendragon from my collection because I realised I was only holding on to them out of affection for the neo-prog scene they emerged from, even though they've never been on the level of Marillion (or even IQ or Twelfth Night).

Doesn't help that I recently learned that Nick has been talking up David Icke's poo poo in interviews since at least as far back as Believe.

I got to this one song where the lyrics were telling me to go read a book, and then I immediately turned it off an blasted industrial hip-hop to wash this twee nonsense from my ears.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 19, 2023

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The one thing I'll say about the 40th ann. editions for previous Rush stuff is that it's the closest the digital versions have gotten to sounding like the OG vinyl.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Fauna is divine.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Yo when the hell did When Dream And Day Unite hit streaming services?

Seems like a recent development.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Not in the US though. Must've just showed up here not too long ago.

Not that it matters bc I have the Mechanics vinyl and a custom digital remix / remaster I made myself. :agesilaus:

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
For me it's A Dramatic Turn Of Events > S/T > Distance Over Time > Systematic Chaos > A View From The Top Of The World > Black Clouds & Silver Linings >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eating Octo-mom's rear end in a top hat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Astonishing

- A Dramatic Turn sounds like 90's DT to the point of pastiche, but it's goooooooooooooooooooooooood.

- The Self-Titled has a Symphony X opening track that sounds almost exactly like the opening track for Dramatic Turn melody-wise (really start to feel their creative burnout here), but the tracks that shamelessly rip off Rush are FANTASTIC.

- Distance Over Time is more them going into a full-blown Rush album. It's pretty good. On some days it fucks. On other days I'm indifferent to it. Today is one of those days that it fucks.

- Systematic Chaos is an uneven experiment, but I wish the Mangini era took more risks like this album (even if a decent chunk of it doesn't work).

- The drum and bass tones A View From The Top taste like chicken and beer (and I'm not just saying that because I'd just left Buffalo Wild Wings and was driving slightly over the legal limit on the Hudson River Drive while listening to this thing) -- Some good compositions murked under tired wank / awful lyrics / James' voice being worse than usual.

- It's easy to see why Portnoy wanted out after Black Clouds. I used to like "A Nightmare To Remember" a lot but man it's aged like milk aside for the 'Hopelessly drifting...' part.

- The less said about The Astonishit the better.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Guardians of the Galaxy 3 has a nod to the best era of King Crimson :smug:

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Lily Catts posted:

spoiler-free: in the mid-credits scene a bunch of characters share their favorite Earth artists and King Crimson gets brought up

Full quote as spoken by Adam Warlock: "I'm partial to the music of Adrian Belew, both solo and his work with King Crimson."

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
How in the ever living gently caress did a djent band make it to the Eurovision finals again?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Paladinus posted:

Not a djent guy, but good on them. Hope Leprous will get there someday, they definitely have a Eurovision hit in them.

Either them or Maraton repping Norway, absolutely.

hexwren posted:

get steven wilson to write a song for europe

It'd probably be an 80's period piece about taking pills in Europa Park or something.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I've heard Pull Me Under, Take the Time and Under a Glass Moon on the dad-rock stations around here before)

Uh excuse me?

Where the hell is this??

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Metro nj/NYC I've definitely heard them on 107.1 though it may have been a specific dj/show and not regular rotation

89.5 plays them now and then too

The Peak? They usually shy away from anything metal, but I am also kind of not surprised?

WSOU of course would, but I always find their censorship standards annoying (having to "reverse" any references to God, Jesus, hell, damnation, prayer, etc.)

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I've been listening to parts of this Genesis BBC Broadcasts collection, and I think with that and Archive #2 I managed to compile an enhanced version of Three Sides Live:

quote:

Disk 1
- Turn It On Again (Nassau Coliseum, 81)
- Dodo (National Exhibition Centre, 81)
- Abacab (NEC, 81)
- Behind The Lines (Nassau Coliseum, 81)
- Duchess (Nassau Coliseum, 81)
- Me & Sarah Jane (Nassau Coliseum, 81)
- Follow You Follow Me (Lyceum, 80)
- Duke's Travels / End (Lyceum, 80)
- The Knife (Lyceum, 80)

Disk 2
- Misunderstanding (The Savoy, 81)
- In The Cage + Medley (NEC, 81)
- Afterglow (NEC, 81)
- No Reply At All (Savoy, 81)
- Man On The Corner (Savoy, 81)
- The Lady Lies (Lyceum, 80)
- One For The Vine (Drury Lane, 80)
- Fountain Of Salmacis (Unknown, 78)
- It / Watcher Of The Skies (Glasgow, 76)

Disk 3
- Paperlate
- You Might Recall
- Naminanu
- Me And Virgil
- Submarine
- Evidence Of Autumn
- Open Door
- The Day The Lights Went Out
- Vancouver

...This my most autistic post thus far

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

fartknocker posted:

If you haven’t heard it, there’s also a bootleg called Three Discs Live (It’s on YouTube) that’s basically an complete version of all the songs played on those tours that’s pretty solid.

OHHH nice let me see aaaaaaaaaaaand video removed.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
How did I miss both Threshold and Seventh Wonder dropping albums last year?

I gotta get my poo poo together.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Final Cut is a snoozefest.

I'm partial to Momentary Lapse myself. Some bangers on there.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I have remastered the poo poo out of When Dream And Day Unite, the Falling To Infinity demos, and the NYC 3/4/93 show with the original Change of Seasons.

PM me if you'd like .wav files.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Harmony Codex is his weakest thus far. "Impossible Tightrope" and "Staircase" were the only two things I could really latch onto.

Shame this experiment came out so bland being I actually really enjoyed The Future Bites.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I've been on a classic prog rock buying kick and came across a band called Aardvark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1rXQuPx3wc

This overdriven organ riff is one of the coolest loving sounds I've ever heard. The rest of the album doesn't live up to it but... I wanted to share this somewhere and this seemed like the only place that'd appreciate it.

Some others I'd shout out: Jane (self-titled album), Nektar, and Fruupp

This rips.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Heath posted:

Anybody going to see TMV at Red Rocks?

Ugh god that sounds ascendant.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Listened to Lightbulb Sun for the 1st time all the way through yesterday.

Brit-pop adjacent PT isn't exactly my favorite, but it's WONDERFUL Sunday afternoon drive music.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Jedit posted:

I got into Porcupine Tree after hearing Four Chords, which is hilarious considering how much Wilson dislikes it.

On a related note: there's a 5CD box set of the first two No-Man albums up for pre-order. The second album would be of particular interest as it's practically a prototype for later PT albums - Richard Barbieri, Colin Unwin and Chris Maitland all appear on it.

That transition from Shesmovedon to Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Henchman of Santa posted:

A funny bit would be having him only contribute lyrics and vocals.

Nope. Mangini's gone:

https://twitter.com/JPetrucci/status/1717195298538246237

gently caress me I'm actually excited for a DT album again.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Paladinus posted:

They were also wrong not to like pastiches of Muse.

Octavarium DT and Maraton are better at being Muse than Muse are.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I would be lying if I said I wouldn't like to hear Dream Theater pull a 90125 or Grace Under Pressure.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

BigFactory posted:

They’re too dumb to make music like that

I will not let Petrucci's biceps have their intelligence insulted like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Warthur posted:

Honestly, the thing DT needs the most right now is a good injection of ideas from outside the DT bubble so if Mike's wide-ranging meanderings outside the band help him offer that then that's all to the good.

Portnoy would've never allowed The Astonishing to happen.

This is unequivocally a good thing.