Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RexDart
Apr 13, 2003

From the albums mentioned here, I think 90% of the people in this thread would love Kayak's See See the Sun. It doesn't go outside the box much, but it's a great representative of early 70's prog as a whole.

starless posted:

So far In The Court of, Lizard, and Red have been released. Hopefully they intend to release the rest of their catalouge.

I have the remastered Red, and the sound improvement is huge. My old CD issue of ITCOTCK just sounds awful after listening to the remastered Red, even accounting for the lower levels in older style mixing. I really should pick up the remaster.

Running With Spoons posted:

I love the Canterbury Scene.

“The real essence of 'Canterbury Sound' is the tension between complicated harmonies, extended improvisations, and the sincere desire to write catchy pop songs.”
“In the very best Canterbury music...the musically silly and the musically serious are juxtaposed in an amusing and endearing way.”

The easiest band to get into would be Caravan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW_KztxNuJM

Most of the songs you'll find on youtube are their catchiest and most pop songs, so that might turn off some of the people in this thread, but everyone should really check out, at the very least, In The Land of the Grey and Pink

Land of Grey and Pink, Rotters' Club, and National Health pretty much covers as much territory in Cantebury prog as necessary for anyone who wants a taste of it. If I could own only three records from that scene it would be those. The common element in all three of those albums is competent drumming, which seems to make a world of difference in that genre. That said, my biggest gripe about that subgenre is the often meandering, directionless vocals, and there's plenty of that on Rotter's Club, though I still recommend it.

I always thought Camel's instrumental record The Snow Goose counted as part of that scene too, and that's worth hearing though it falters near the end. I don't know if Gong's Radio Gnome Invisible trilogy counts in there, I might recommend it but it's really inconsistent -- the first two parts are much better than the last, but even they are rather mixed experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU