Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatewarns
Aug 10, 2003
Eater of third world virgins.
I'm cosigning on all the krautrock recommendations in this thread. Not just for the best known ones like Can (Tago Mago), Faust(their self-titled), and Tangerine Dream (their first four albums) who definitely were among the most revolutionary bands at the time, but there are a ton of lesser known bands who made albums that were just as classic and unique as the big-name kraut bands.

Embryo were easily one of the most creative and least-acknowledged bands. Their modus operandi was to fuse together various forms of traditional ethnic music around the world with their own brand of psychedelic jazz fusion. On the earliest albums like Opal and Rache, their propensity to fuse world music genres wasn't in full bloom yet, but they were still putting out extremely solid Krautrock with jazzy flourishes, sounding similar to bands like Xhol Caravan. My favorite album from this era is Rache.

From then on, they would add more and more ethnic influences to their music, starting with Father, Son and Holy Ghosts and Steig Aus, which is generally considered as their best. They've made many, many albums since then (33 total) and I consider most of them to be extremely good (except for Surfin', which still had its moments) although their most recent albums are more likely to interest people who are into their world music side instead of their kraut side, as they steadily became more and more of a world fusion band. My favorite album from this era is Istanbul Casablanca, which is a double-disc live album featuring tracks with extended erhu jams with Indian konakkol serving as backup vocals, among other things.

(other bands to be mentioned later; Brainticket, Etron fou Leloublan, Stormy Six, and Pierrot Lunaire.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU