Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

rikshot posted:

O.S.I (Office Of Strategic Influence)

Weird at first, then interesting and finally extremely good music. Really hard to describe what this stuff is like, you have to figure it out yourself. Some metal influences, with alot of ambience in the background and a sprinkling of electronic instruments on top.

O.S.I. is my current favorite band. The music is incredibly difficult to pin down. the self-titled is easily the most rock-influenced of their three releases, but it ventures a lot into ambient/glitch electronic territory. Steven Wilson guests on "ShutDOWN," which is one of my favorite O.S.I. tracks.

Free features more prominent electronics, and I'm shocked Mike Portnoy even agreed to record drums for it - there are more loops than organic drums. However, I think Free is superior to their debut because it develops a unique sound for the band and pulls them away from the progressive/pop/rock sound of the debut. Moore's lyrics, as always, are the highlight. He writes introspective, emotional lyrics that work well with the music. His monotone singing actually complements the music. Think Radiohead's Kid A with guitars and vocalist with a huskier voice.

Blood is interesting in that it seems like a step backward at first. "The Escape Artist" is the band's heaviest song to date. Luckily, Moore pulls things back a bit on "Terminal," which is reminiscent of "When You're Ready" from their self-titled release. Blood is bogged down by weak lyrics at times, such as in "Be the Hero," with its "be the hero from coast to coast" chorus. The collaboration with Opeth's Michael Akerfeldt is excellent, though.

Really, if you want to get a sense for what O.S.I. is about, check out Free, and listen to it with headphones.

Rabid Koala fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

Not sure if this is the best place for this, but my sister-in-law is a deadbeat loser who refuses to pay for concert tickets. We now have an extra Dream Theater ticket for the show on Sunday in Mesa, AZ.

I would rather give it to someone else for free than take her. Anyone want it? There are two other people going with me. Send me a PM.

Rabid Koala fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 18, 2014