Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Stutes posted:

Echoing the recommendations for Fragile as a good introduction to Yes, but with one caveat: skip the second track, Cans and Brahms. I had a copy of Fragile for years, but never listened past Roundabout because the next song sucked so hard.

Has anybody mentioned Supertramp yet? I'm sure somebody will make fun of me for it, but Breakfast in America is a superb album from start to finish.

I had grown up hearing a few Supertramp songs on classic rock stations now and again. However, I recently started a Yes-based Last.fm station, and quite a bit of Supertramp comes on. I have probably listened to the entirety of Breakfast in America and Crime of the Century. I love them both, but I don't know much of their stuff beyond those 2 albums.

Callick posted:

I'm not entirely sure that Led Zeppelin would necessarily be considered prog rock (it kind of transcends rock genres) but I just wanted to express to anyone the awesome experience I had.

I'm 23, big music lover, and have always appreciated vinyls, but have only used the family turntable very occasionally. I recently was given a decent stereo with turntable and decided to start collecting vinyls. Tonight, I found a copy of Houses of the Holy by Led Zeppelin and plugged my turntable into my sound card and got a line-in plugin for Winamp. I then plugged in my friend's super badass audio technica's that I'm currently taking care of and cranked that bitch up. Adjusted the Winamp EQ and bam...

Wow. Converted me entirely. I think I'm now on the path to becoming a true audiophile. That was EPIC. Vinyl owns, and so do Winamp equalizers. :D

I agree that Zeppelin transcended numerous genres, most commonly blues and rock and roll. But Houses of the Holy, I don't know that I'd class it in with other progressive rock music, but I wouldn't fault you for doing so. It's a wonderful album regardless of how it's classified.

I haven't seen any of you mention The Moody Blues yet. I mean, if there were 'fathers' of progressive rock, they'd easily be in the discussion, no?

Their first 6 albums are all 100% excellent from the first track to the last track. As a child, the only Moody Blues songs I knew were Nights in White Satin and I'm Just a Singer (in a rock and roll band). I was a little embarrassed as a teenager to enjoy Nights in White Satin, but when I found :420: and became college-aged, I quickly realized that The Moody Blues were truly innovating.

Days of Future Passed and A Question of Balance are easily in my top 10 albums of all time.

Also is Pink Floyd simply too big to mention in this thread? They were obviously a progressive rock band as much as anything else. Has Pink Floyd been discussed too much already?

I am really glad this thread started. I have recently expanded my Yes discography to include everything that I don't classify as poppy-poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

Dishwasher posted:

Overproduction and ridiculousness is what makes prog so great. That just means they're trying harder to make awesome music. And if anything, modern prog is cool because its taking the older influences and adding modern touches to them. Its not the 1970s anymore and I can't listen to old school Genesis and Yes all the time. And a prog thread without mention of Transatlantic? For shame guys.

I hate to harp on you too hard, but seriously read the thread. Transatlantic has been mentioned on every page before this one (ie both of the other 2 pages). For shame, dishwasher.

I have only heard a few of their songs as they come up on last.fm. I really like what I've heard so far.

Also I'll be checking out progarchives.com.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

I stumbled upon Van der Graaf Generator from last.fm.

I like some of their stuff, I dislike some of it. Peter Hammill, however, sounds just like Rob Halford.

I honestly had to look and see if Halford sang for them prior to Judas Priest.
Compare:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WySTWDsgvYs (Hammill)
to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhpGDCInUoc (Halford)

Can anyone recommend me the 'best' Van der Graaf Generator album/songs? I find them to be hit or miss on last.fm. I enjoy the sleepwalkers song I posted above.