Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Machinae
Aug 15, 2004
I've been combing the thread and prog archives for good prog metal recommendations, but I haven't really been able to find anything that caught my ear and I thought I'd fish for some suggestions.

Lately I've been listening to Ayreon, Avantasia, Cynic, Symphony X, lots of Andromeda, Pain of Salvation, and Vanden Plas.

Surprisingly I wasn't into Guilt Machine, and I love Ayreon, so that was a huge let down.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I like the softer side of prog too in the vein of Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, Marillion and the like, but I find if I don't specify 'prog metal' I get music that is a little old school for my tastes.

Machinae fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machinae
Aug 15, 2004

BSchlang posted:

Since you mentioned Guilt Machine, I assume you're aware that Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon) has a bunch of side-projects that you might like.

This is basically just a list of my favorite prog-metal without a whole ton of thought thrown into your listed favorite bands, and I'm sure you've already heard most of them before, but here goes:

Opeth
Tiamat
Katatonia (not exactly prog, but if you like Opeth then their newer albums might really appeal to you)
Devin Townsend
Dream Theater
Mastodon
Aeon Spoke (Cynic side-project)

I figured I'd leave out the huge cliches like Mastodon, Dream Theater and Opeth. I never "got" Devin Townsend, and I listened to Katatonia years ago and again just recently and I don't love it.

Checking out Tiamat and Aeon Spoke though.

edit: The Tiamat I found seemed pretty monotonous to me, but I'm liking Aeon Spoke (though not so prog or metal). I am too picky. :smith:

Machinae fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 30, 2010