Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

abske_fides posted:

The little Glass Hammer I've heard was atrocious and had really bad production, but maybe I need to vive them another chance. I've been on a huge GG row for the last 2-3 weeks.

Sounds like you got one of their first few albums - everything from Chronometree on is excellent though. And the production definitely improved with every release. (I'm also a fan of their 98 album On to Evermore but there are still a lot of rough edges there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Earwicker posted:

It's not a bad album it's just very lopsided. Lizard the song is amazing. The rest of the album is.. not terrible but definitely some of their weaker material from their early days and Gordon Haskell was just not the right fit

everything about that album is all wrong and that's why I love it

SW's remix really brings it out because he made the choice to make it MORE chaotic and unlike most remasters he actually brought in new parts that were left out of the original

listening to the remastered "Happy Family" with the volume cranked is truly terrifying

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

I've been bummed about Lake, of course. His solo side of Works v. 1 is possibly one of my favorite album sides ever, just this over-the-top orchestral pop with super-proggy lyrics.

I love ELP but man, this is absolutely the first time I've ever heard this take

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

This "why is this [thing] dominated by white men" is kinda a self-fulfilling prophecy isn't it? I think of Hiromi Uehara, a jazz pianist who is legitimately one of the most talented of her generation, and much of the discussion about her tends to devolve into "wow, you wouldn't expect something like that from such a cute girl!". I can see how that would put off some people.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Has there ever been a consistent prog bad, except those one off bands from the 70s that made one album like Island?

I feel like a lot of modern proggers are. Every Echolyn album is great. Glass Hammer have dropped an excellent album nearly every year from 2000 on. Every single album I hear by The Tangent is about as good as every other one. Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson are always in a pretty narrow band of quality.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

VdGG and Gentle Giant are both the best prog band guys

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Cymbal Monkey posted:

They're implying they're up for a tour if someone wants to kick them $8500 (check the top reward tier). If I had $8500 in savings I'm not gonna lie there's a good chance I'd blow it on making a tour happen because I'm dying to see this band.

to be fair $8500 seems quite cheap

this record is gonna rule by the way

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

yeah it's not new but it's still very good. "Bright Sides" is such a great track. I like the band's folksy side.

I thought their last album was pretty ace. not quite as good as the 2012 s/t but I personally think that's one of the greatest albums ever made so not really a fair comparison.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

If any of y'all are ELP fans I highly recommend the album called The Rules Have Changed by 3.2. it's a follow up to the kinda lovely album To the Power of Three released by Emerson, Palmer, and Robert Berry in 1988, though Palmer isn't involved and Emerson died halfway through the sessions, and his estate wouldn't let Berry use the recordings so he wound up having to literally do it all himself. Despite all this, it is actually a surprisingly strong album that captures Emerson's style better than Keith himself has these past 40 years. And I say this as someone who did not really like the first 3 album at all.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

progressive rock is a liberal genre, so what

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

hexwren posted:

So the whole thing where people are like "never meet your heroes."

An addendum:

If one of your favorite bands has an album that people have gone on for decades telling you not to listen to it, maybe they're right.

I'm listening to Love Beach for the first time and I want to die. This actively hurts. And I'm saying this as someone who thinks Works is great. gently caress.

I actually like two songs on Love Beach, the title track and "Canario". really damning with faint praise here but it's better than their 90s albums. really is disappointing that ELP did almost nothing worth giving a drat about after 1974, though I do rather like the Powell album and the 3.2 disc that came out this year (which I think I already posted about ITT) is actually very good, though technically Emerson isn't even on it.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Does anyone want to hear a Japanese idol group tackling prog?

here is a cover of "The Last Seven Minutes" by Magma

https://xoxo-ex.bandcamp.com/album/the-last-seven-minutes

and some weird "Hoedown/Karn Evil 9" mashup

https://xoxo-ex.bandcamp.com/track/progressive-be-bop

this stuff is like crack to me

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

XBenedict posted:

You may like Laurie Anderson.

initially read this as "Louie Anderson"

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

But if I had to pick a single best live album from the entire history of King Crimson, it's this. This performance is so magical that Waiting Man, a track from Beat that I did not particularly care for on the album, ended up being the best part of a show that has no weak moments.

yeah I would say exactly the same thing - something about "Waiting Man" on record feels so lifeless, but man is it great on here. hell, even the Discipline stuff...I remember putting the LP on a couple weeks after hearing Absent Lovers and swearing that my turntable was busted, because the album felt so slow in comparison.

also..gonna second the Heavy ConstruKction set. I did not like the studio album much but nearly everything that irritated me about it was taken away on the live disc. They pull some real gems out of their back catalogue and the improv disc is stellar (though the recording of Fripp snatching away someone's camera felt a bit gratuitous)

as far as recent stuff goes I like the "Radical Action" boxset a lot - I recall hearing that an insane amount of mixing went into that album, what you were hear is 'live' but also mixed from dozens of audio channels, so it sounds just like a studio album. I don't think you really need to hear the crowd on a KC live album so this really works for me.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

hexwren posted:

Illegal Alien is standing behind this post, coughing politely into its fist.

hah I always liked this song but man do I wish it had different lyrics

what were the tracks that didn't make the cut on Abacab?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

lmfaoooo he's wearing a Dekkar shirt

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I for one think this is a pretty rad idea and I hope it's as over the top and stupid as possible

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Palmer is the one part of that trio whose chops actually held up over time, the current band he's touring with is great, see 'em if you get a chance

sadly I was too young to ever see them live but my Mom did in 1998 or so and said they were "just as good as they were in the day" which, if you listen to any of their 90s live recordings is uh...clearly not true

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Hackett is touring all this year and Gabriel...I mean yeah, I know he just did that tour with Sting, but what's he gonna do here? 90% of their setlist is gonna be stuff he wasn't on and he's not gonna take vocals away from Collins, who is wheelchair bound and can't do much of anything....why are they doing this again???

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

hexwren posted:

I'm giving Peter Sinfield's solo record a listen for the first time and it's really one of the more disappointing efforts I've ever heard from this many ex-Krimsoneers.

There's several good ideas, but Pete himself has almost no voice (even before he's aggressively mixed into the background by Mel Collins and Greg Lake, who produce and make guest appearances that are, oddly enough, mixed way louder than any of the purported frontman's material.)

The whole affair plays like demo tapes instead of a finished record.

...also WG Snuffy Walden's on it for some reason?

I think if they'd put out even five bucks and a sandwich for a better producer, they'd come up with something way more listenable. I suspect it could be saved if someone gave Steve Wilson the masters, but who even knows.

I like the title track and "Under the Sky". though there's a GG&F version of the latter that's way better. what can you say really. Sinfield ain't much of a musician.

still bummed about this. Tim Smith was really a one-of-a-kind musician. gifted in a way that no one outside of maybe Christian Vander is. his music really did mean a lot to me, even if his recent situation made it difficult to listen to sometimes. there was a part of me that still believed he was gonna recover, no matter how impossible that seemed. this one hurts a lot.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Warthur posted:

There's a new Wobbler album incoming that I have high hopes for.

same

their last one I thought was basically as good as anything Yes did. and I love Yes just as much as all of you

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

his remix of King Crimson's Lizard brought the album to life in a way I'd never really experienced before. think that one was technically more than a remix though, I think he got access to all the masters and practically reconstructed it

other than that I've only heard his Yes remixes and they're definitely worth a listen. they definitely sound different than the originals, he takes a number of liberties here and there. they also sound really great. the purists may have some issues with them but I think they're awesome.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

so does he like cameras now

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Rock Bottom is dark...but some of his later stuff is really nice. Check out Shleep, it's probably my favorite of his. the first track has Eno on it and it's incredible

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

apparently Magma are working on a new album. apparently it'll actually be new material

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

don't even need an editor, just throw the 2nd LP in the trash

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Frazzbo posted:

They are indeed! Can I interest you in the opener of Day And Age, the latest album?

https://youtu.be/RmiAmW3sgHs

Frost* rule, glad they're getting some attention here. Day And Age is probably my favorite, maybe cuz it's not as brickwalled as the others :)

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

yeesh there's one that makes me feel old, I remember buying that in high school the week it was released. was stunned how modern it sounded for a "bunch of old guys"...in retrospect Fripp and Belew were only in their 50s, the other two in their 40s! that's not old at all!! right??

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

any Yes fans in here might wanna see if Jon Anderson & the Band Geeks are playing anywhere near you, because I've been watching them on YouTube and seriously they're not far off from the Yessongs band, miles ahead of where Yes official are now. mostly the same set too, plus "Gates of Delirium"

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

sorry to derail Dream Theater chat but I finally started in on the post-Afterglow Wobbler albums and holy hell they are amazing. like about as good as Yes in their prime. sure they get an F for originality but this poo poo rocks

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

gonna be DJ'ing a prog night at a local bar in a couple weeks. it's a monthly event and it's usually hosted by this dude from Manchester but he's having surgery and I volunteered to take over. didn't think he'd go for it but the next thing I knew all his gear (which I do not really know how to use) was being loaded into my car. I'm excited to do it! It's pretty fun trying to figure out which tunes can be mixed into each other.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I've often pointed to Rock Bottom as one of the few LPs out there where what was going on in the artist's head is exactly what you hear on the record, idk how to explain it exactly but so few musicians seem to accomplish that. Todd's A Wizard/A True Star is another one.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

in other news...I'm starting to think the greatest prog album ever made might be Wobbler's From Silence to Somewhere. I know there's very little original here, in fact the band doesn't really have it's own distinctive voice in a sense, however this album does manage to remind me of pretty much every great prog record ever made

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

CornHolio posted:

I picked up two Starcastle records (self-titled and Citadel) at my local record store today, because they were dirt cheap and had really cool artwork. It's basically Yes worship but it's definitely listenable.

yeah Starcastle are great, kind of explores what Yes might've been if they were more pop-oriented and less good at their instruments. make sure you seek out Fountains of Light too, imo their best album - also dirt cheap

they have another one called Reel to Real which is not great but it does feature one of the worst cover photos I've ever seen. like Love Beach-level bad.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

also I want to recommend this:

https://wizrd.bandcamp.com/album/seasons

to me it sounds like Van Halen playing Rush - it totally kicks rear end. very proggy but also so all-over-the-place you almost can't classify it.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Nektar are pretty silly most of the time I feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

if you're looking for neo prog that sounds like Genesis I'd skip Marillion for now and go with IQ