Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King
I think Magma is even better today than they were in the 70's. Not to say they were bad in the 70's, they must have been one of the strangest, scariest and innovative bands on the planet.
But unlike other 70's reunion acts they don't sound polished, well produced and ultimately boring and outdated, because with their naked, jazz approach to music they emanate trust in that the instruments themselves and and their talents alone are able to carry the compositions without some kind of extra added studio production values.

K.A. (2004) and Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré (2009) are their best efforts yet in addition to the four volume DVD's Epok I-IV, eight hours without a single boring moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King

Gimmedaroot posted:

My biggest problem with prog rock is the new stuff. I just can't get into bands like Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Fates Warning, etc. I just agree with Bill Bruford: the pioneers come along and invent the stuff by not really having any boundaries. Then when the genre is named, you have all these boundaries and everything just sounds like an overproduced rehash of whats come before that is not as interesting. Radiohead and The Flaming Lips I would give a pass to because they have other influences (if you are to call them prog). And most modern prog metal and symphonic stuff just sounds silly, not to mention the "Legend of the Seeker" outfits they tend to wear on stage. If you don't know what I mean, pick up a copy of Classic Rock magazine's Prog issues. Its really ridiculous.

Anyone listen to any Rock In Opposition like Henry Cow and Art Bears?

When the band's in the 60's and 70's "invented" prog they did so influenced by classical, jazz, folk, pop and other genres, mixing that with new technology like effect boxes, synthesizers, multi track etc. and did some really wonderful (and sometimes awful) stuff.
But the (neo) prog from the 80's are influenced by prog. You see the difference?

I really like RIO, but the trouble is that often it is referred to as a genre and not a movement and new bands sounding dissonant and "weird" is compared to Henry Cow and put into the RIO-box, forgetting about other bands that were part of that movement; Samla Mammas Manna, Stormy Six, Universe Zero, Art Zoyd, Etron Fou, Aksak Maboul, all sounding very different from each other. Although that lumping in to categories may very well be contributed to the incompetence of the reviewer.
There's nothing wrong with being influenced by Henry Cow or Pink Floyd but I don't see the point in trying to mimic the music of your heroes. A mix between Henry Cow and Pink Floyd on the other hand could be interesting.

And that is the point I'm trying to make. Most metal bands today sounds boring because the people making the songs only listen to metal, thereby producing a rehash of what they know. If you on the other hand were to throw in a bit of Henry Cow, Strawinski, Miles Davis and Dead Kennedys into their musical vocabulary you could get something interesting.

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King

a medical mystery posted:

After almost 20 years Anglagard has finally released a new album, Viljans Öga. Anyone got a hold of it yet? I'm sorely tempted.

I got the signed CD and the limited LP version.
If you like Änglagård you'll probably like this one. The reviews have been overwhelmingly positive.

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King
Here's a quick list of Swedish prog. I havent listen to a lot of this music in a long time, so I might be a bit off in the genre-description.
The list ranges between hyper-obscure and well known, mostly old and a few new bands.

Arbete & Fritid - Psych/jazz/folk music/improv/hippierock. Several albums.
Archimedes Badkar - Psych/jazz/improv, played together with Arbete & Fritid. Several albums.
Atlas - Symfonic prog, one album; Blå vardag
Autumn Breeze - Mellow symfonic, folkprog, one album; Höstbris
Baby Grandmothers - Psych, hippiejam. Only one hyperobscure single. Released a doubble LP with old live recordings recently on Subliminal Sounds
Baltik - Heavyprog, one self titeled album.
Berits Halsband - Prog/jazz/rock, great stuff! one self titeled album.
Blå Tåget - Well known for their political songs. Folkrock.
Blåkulla - Heavyprog/symfonic. One self titeled album.
Bättre Lyss - Heavyprog/folkrock, a bit soft. One album.
Contact - Psych/pop/folkrock. Rather popular, variable quality. Three albums.
Dag Vag - Reggea artist. Very popular, not prog but part of the swedish "prog comunity".
Dice - Obscure symfonic prog. Resealed one self titeled album in 1978 but in 92 an album was released originally recorded in 77.
Dimmornas Bro - Heavy symfonic progrock. Two albums. I like this very much.
Dungen - Psych-rock, new band with several releases.
Egba - Probably the most well known jazz-fusion band. Several albums.
Fläsket Brinner - Psych/hippiejam/folk music. Two albums and one 4 CD live compilation.
Bo Hansson - Organ player, jazz/psych, several albums, a few concept albums as well. Appears on several albums with other artists.
Hoola Bandoola Band - Perhaps the best known band from the swedish progg-movement. Quite good at times, folkrock with a hint of psych. Several albums. Band members went on to fame and fortune as solo-artists. Disregard and avoid!
Horizont - Symfonic prog/fusion. Two albums.
Isildurs Bane - Several releases earliest are symphonic prog, later more avantgarde.
Lars "Lach'n" Jonsson - Experimantal musician, played in Zut Un Feu Rouge and Ur Kaos in the 80's, also released a few solo albums (everything highly recomended) and in 2002 released one exelent album with the band Förträngt Hushållsarbete.
Kaipa - Best known of course for being Ronie Stolt's first band. Symfonic prog, allthough their first album is quite different. Active up untill recently.
Kebnekajse (or Kebnekaise) - Swedish folk music with hippiejams. Active in the 70's but have reseased a few exelent albums recently as part of their reunion.
Knutna Nävar - Political folkrock.
Kornet - Jazz/prog, three albums.
Kräldjursanstalten - Experimental stuff. Beefheart-ish.
Kultivator - Released one masterpiece LP of genious Zeuhl music!
Kvartetten Som Sprängde - Jazzprog. I see they are mentioned in a previous post. Originaly released on a tiny label (even by swedish prog-standards) and thus hyper rare!
Made In Sweden - Early albums psych but moved towards prog/jazz and fusion. Several albums.
Motvind - Heavy rock with a hint of prog.
Nationalteatern - Another well known political folk-rock band. Lots of albums.
November - Heavy rock, Swedish answer to Black Sabbath and Deep Purple.
Nynningen - Political folkrock, at times pastiche-songs.
Peps Persson - as with Dag Vag, a popular reggea-artist associated with the movement.
Philemon Arthur & the Dung - If they are not prog then what are they? Nobody know who they were, one album was released. As a joke? By people in the movement? By stoned hippies with a cassette recorder? Who knows, who cares, instant cult classic!
Psynkopat - Moving into punk-territory now, but too experimental for punks, one album.
Ragnarök - Mellow, pastoral symfonic prog. They released four albums + one reunion album, I have only heard the first.
Resan - One self titeled cult album, super obscure but have been re-released lately. Psychedelic stuff, folk-rock with some jamming.
Råg I Ryggen - Heavy rock with hints of prog.
Röde Kapellet - Political folk-rock.
Samla Mammas Manna - Later known as Zamla Mammaz Manna and Von Zamla. Experimental/jazz/prog/circus/improv. Lots of releases, everything fantastic but might be a bit offensive to symphrock-fans, later associated with the RIO-movement. Several side projects and solo albums also highly recommended:
-Lars Hollmer - Several solo-albums, simpler almost childish.
-Ramlösa Kvällar - One live album whith Hollmer and Apetrea released during a SMM hiatus
-Coste Apetrea - SMM-guitarist only one record; Nyspolat, jazzrock
-Greg Fitzpatrick - Two albums
Splash - Jazz/prog/folk music arranged for brass. A bit forgotten, good musicianship. A few albums, three I think.
Trettioåriga Kriget - Heavy prog. Changed their name to Kriget and became new wave. Released a few albums in the 70's early 80's (three first are recommended) and then later a few old recordings and reunion albums have been released which is almost a back to form.
Träd Gräs och Stenar - Psych/hippiejam. Released four albums in the 70's but the band never really split up, there have been released several live records lately and even studio albums. The band was called Pärsson Sound in the late 60's and there exist a tripple LP of live material on subliminal Sounds. Before TG&S they were called International Harvester and they released one album under the name Harvester. So the chronology is Pärsson Sound -> International Harvester -> Harvester -> Träd Gräs och Stenar, all in the same musical vein.
Turid - Female folk singer, several albums.
Vildkaktus - Pop/jazzrock/prog. Three albums.
Wasa Express - Ranging from interessting arrangements to bland fusion. several albums.
Älgarnas Trädgård - One obscure collectors item released, kraut-o-rama! Second album released in 2001.

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King

DaWolfey posted:

That's a great list, lots of bands i've never heard of there.
I've singled these guys out because their grooves are hypnotic and they sound like an early Zappa band at times too.

One of my favourites as well! Check out Arbete & Fritid, Archimedes Badkar, Pärsson Sound/International Harvester/Träd Gräs och Stenar and Baby Grandmothers if you are interested in more imrov-madness.
Also there's this Danish band called Dr Dopo Jam that sounds a bit like the early Mothers, at least on their first album, "Entree". The other albums are a lot more polished an unexciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rama Lama Magnus
Oct 31, 2004

Vegetable King
Quick recommendation I got from a friend; Skywhale! Don't know anything about them except that they released only one highly collectible album in 1977 and that it's awsome canterbury-ish UK-prog!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0UfPb9ECoY