Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

I just received A Trick of the Tail in the mail, as well as waiting for Yes - Close to the Edge too. I wish I found this thread earlier, but there are a heap of recommendations to check out now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

This is really cool dude. How much did the vinyl set you back? The transfer sounds pretty good! Just finished listening to The Power and the Glory a few minutes ago, so this is right up there.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Funny you should mention Rush, Caress of Steel is cranked right now.

Exploring progressive rock has been one of the most exciting and interesting experiences I've had musically in possibly a decade or more. So much great stuff, a lot of poo poo, but it's been a blast reading information and listening to a ton of it.

And it all started by hearing a Phil Collins single playing at the supermarket, and deciding to buy a prog-era Genesis album out of curiosity.

How many of you like Eloy? They are one of the bands that really stand out for me, due to Oceans and Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes.

fappenmeister fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 10, 2011

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Gianthogweed posted:

What Phil Collins single got you into prog? Come on, don't be embarassed.

Something Happened on the Way to Heaven. I love his solo work and I'm not making any apologies for it. :D

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Has anyone bought the Pink Floyd remasters/magic voodoo editions yet?

I bought the Discovery Box a few days ago, the box itself is quite nice but drat mini-LP style cd cases really suck!

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Yes are touring Australia, and tickets are on sale today. Are they worth seeing live?

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

JAMOOOL posted:

You guys want to hear a funny prog record, check out Starcastle's debut (1976). This band went full out to imitate Yes, and I mean that in every sense of the word. Basically they sound like The Yes Album but with Rick Wakeman. I know that is a very specific sound but that's exactly what they went for. And some of it is pretty good! This is no classic by any means but it's drat entertaining to pick out all the Yes references (some very specific).

Been meaning to check this for a long time, sounds great. There's elements of their own (USA rock and roll) sound in some of the riffing though right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Didn't think many people liked 666, it is a really interesting, cool album. Do any of like Socrates Drank the Conium? Lots of prog elements in their music, and they also happened to have Vangelis play on/produce an album later in their career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5fZIVk1tV8 is the result