Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Any Pain of Salvation fans around? A friend of mine introduced them to me with The Perfect Element, and I gotta say it's pretty much one of my favorite albums ever ("But if you take from those you fear everything they value, you have bred the perfect beast drained enough to kill you"). Scarsick was wonderful as well and BE is just cool. Entropia and Remedy Lane has some very good and some meh, and One Hour by the Concrete Lake is kind of dull.

So two days ago I sat down and listened to Road Salt One, and I'm pretty loving disappointed. The sound is boring, the songs are weird without being cool and there's no loving metal. Of all the album, the track that I've actually listened to several times is Sisters, and compared to the finale of The Perfect Element, it's not impressive.

Wikipedia has Road Salt Two marked as Progressive Metal (whilst One was Progressive Rock), hopefully that means they're doing a Foo Fighters - In Your Honor thing (disk one is calm, disc two is loud, or the other way around).

Maybe the album just needs to "catch" me, we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I never heard of King Crimson until a few months ago, that's my excuse. They've been groovin' on my Grooveshark for some time now, though.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

So two days ago I sat down and listened to Road Salt One, and I'm pretty loving disappointed. The sound is boring, the songs are weird without being cool and there's no loving metal. Of all the album, the track that I've actually listened to several times is Sisters, and compared to the finale of The Perfect Element, it's not impressive.

Wikipedia has Road Salt Two marked as Progressive Metal (whilst One was Progressive Rock), hopefully that means they're doing a Foo Fighters - In Your Honor thing (disk one is calm, disc two is loud, or the other way around).

Maybe the album just needs to "catch" me, we'll see.

Gotta admit that the album has caught me now. I appreciate the songs much more, although Sleeping Under The Stars is a bit too weird for repeat listens.

Also, I'm going to their show on 10.10 in Oslo. Anyone else heading there?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Alexander the Grape posted:

For example, this song is from their most lauded early album, Awake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysIzPF3BfpQ

"The Muppets: Ringing of the Bells"?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

FrankenVader posted:

I have a lot of admiration for anyone who has faith enough in some message, though it will alienate a portion of his audience and says it anyway. That takes balls. Prog artists barely make money selling that kind of music as it is (small audiences, downloading recordings illegally, etc), so you could say he's "putting his money where his mouth is"..or heart is, as it were...good on him, regardless of the message.

Anyway...Give Sola Scriptura a try. Musically, it's pretty fantastic regardless of any religious prejudices the listener may have. I think it's a bit heavier than the things I've heard from him in the past, by a large margin.

Sola Scriptura is really awesome, and the message doesn't appeal to me at all. It's just great music, basically. There's some Spanish style guitar stuff in there that's just fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

A week ago or so I listened to Dream of Stone by Gazpacho, and now I'm tired, confused and the only thing I know is that my Spotify history is just a long, unbroken row of this wonderful, beautiful band.

I really don't know where to go from here, I think Night might just be the best thing I've ever heard, and I don't know how to top that. Is there anything out there that manages to balance an emotional, powerful, proggy and rich sound the way Gazpacho does?