Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
It seems that it's not really an album, "Instrumental Improvs and Experiments": http://sofasound.wordpress.com/2012/06/27/alternate-stuff/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
Space Ritual is one of my favorite albums, definitely my favorite live album. I bought it three times!

I'm afraid those next two albums (Hall of the Mountain Grill and Warrior on the Edge of Time) are what you're looking for. Together with the ones you mentioned they make up THE classic Hawkwind albums.
First (two) song(s) of Warrior on the Edge of Time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXHTdGGJ860

As far as their later stuff goes I like Quark, Strangeness and Charm and The Chronicle of the Black Sword which is very different though.
Some people swear on Sonic Attack but I don't get it :shrug:

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
That's interesting, he also remastered Warrior on the Edge of Time which came out earlier this year. Gonna have to check that out!

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
Speaking of stuff that's not Prog. I've been listening a lot to Brian Eno's early albums, that poo poo is awesome. "Taking Tiger Mountain (by Strategy)" and "Before an After Science" especially. But apparently it's "Art Rock"!
"King's Lead Hat" (with Robert Fripp on guitar) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp0k_o8gfQI

Super strict genre definitions are stupid anyway... I just like listening to music that's creative and different and the label Prog has pointed me to lots of interesting bands but using it only for classic Prog like Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, etc. seems weird and not very ... progressive :haw:

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
Don't forget VdGG! I always felt the lyrics were important and give many of their songs an emotional weight not often achieved in prog. Half of that might be Peter Hammil's expressive voice though... (and there are still some goofy songs like Necromancer).

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
Lots of good folk prog recommendations to check out already but I'm gonna add Malicorne to the pile.
I like Le Bestiaire and Balançoire En Feu a lot, their earlier stuff is even more folky/acoustic.

hexwren posted:

Zappa's supposed satire of [homosexuals, blacks, jews, women, insert thing here] is basically indistinguishable from a recitation or celebration of American culture's stereotypes of it. I like a bunch of the stuff he's done over the years (Let's Make the Water Turn Black, Peaches en Regalia, Billy the Mountain, Montana, Florentine Pogen, Inca Roads, Watermelon in Easter Hay, etc.) but there's so much of his stuff that's indistinguishable lyrically from some alt-right edgelord shithole and indistinguishable musically from itself (listening to the Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar records shows that his method of "xenochrony" basically meant that no matter what song he was playing, he'd make the band drop out of the song into the patented Zappa vamp while he noodled the solo and then would go back into the song proper) that really, 99% of people interested in Zappa need no more than a double-disc live album and maybe a Baby Snakes DVD to get all they need (and more) of the dude.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I don't recommend reading The Real Frank Zappa Book. While the first half was fine if a bit shallow the second half deteriorated into political rants and dunking on people he didn't like... ugh.

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005

JAMOOOL posted:

apparently Magma are working on a new album. apparently it'll actually be new material

I really have to catch up with their more recent output. But everytime I try I just end up listening to K.A because it's just so loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005

Solumin posted:

Figured you've all probably seen this, but I don't think it got posted here: https://beat-tour.com/

Adrian Belew, Steve Vai, Tony Levin and Danny Carey are performing the 80s King Crimson albums Discipline, Beat, and Three Of A Perfect Pair. They've got Fripp's blessing, even.
The tour starts in September. Absolute powerhouse of a lineup, I'm really tempted to buy tickets.

God dammit *cries in European*