Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knifehitz
Apr 22, 2005

ys rly

Rollersnake posted:

Larks' Tongues in Aspic, definitely. Dark, subtle, beautifully textured album, my favorite by Crimson, and very different from either of the albums you've heard so far.

Seconding this, Larks is my favorite album of theirs. If you like Discipline you should definatly give Thrak a try. That was the album that got me into Crimson, it's very accessable to the non-prog listener and still has plenty of "WTF / OMG" moments for the more trained ear. There was also a double live album B'Boom that came out shortly after that I really like. It has a good mix of songs from the Red, Discipline, and Thrak eras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knifehitz
Apr 22, 2005

ys rly
Dream Theater... what a perfect example of what I hate about prog. For every good song on an album there has to be another loving lame rear end ballad-y poo poo song. On Images and Words I think 3 of the songs out of 8 I actually liked. Same thing on Awake. I never bothered after that. I don't get when fans call these albums PERFECT! The songs that Moore wrote, even if they were mellow, weren't L-A-M-E like the others.

Rush, one of my favorite bands of all time, same problem. Not on all their albums, but quite a few. You gotta skip 2 tracks for every cool one.

On the prog-metal end of the spectrum I've been listening to Fates Warning lately. Awaken the Guardian is awesome. I have mixed opinions on their later material, but the stuff with John Arch is awesome, especially considering when it was made. You can definately tell what the guys in Dream Theater and Queensryche were listening to.

Also, Voivod are unbelievable space-prog-metal. Their album Nothingface should be required listening and I really love Angel Rat and The Outer Limits.

knifehitz fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 30, 2010