Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tripplejol
Jan 1, 2006

The Power and The Ballin'
D'Aww yes, a prog thread! Where better to flaunt my new avatar? :c00lbert:

Haraksha posted:

Once I've grown tired of "In the Court", where should I look next?

Now, I'll be the first to admit, I do have a bit of a Gentle Giant boner (even the last 3 albums in their own right) & I will recommend them to anyone with half an ear but we've already gone down that road, so I’m going to fire out some of assorted prog recommends, in the hope that something catches yo' ear.

Gryphon - Red Queen To Gryphon Three A Synth-heavy instrumental album that skates a fine line between whimsical & cheesy. It's one of those albums you have to listen to as an album Just sit back and enjoy the little mind-journey it takes you on.

Echolyn - As The World
A Solid, 90s US Prog album with some beautiful melodies, complex time signatures & a sound which owes something to Gentle Giant without ever being derivative (also, hard to believe it came out the same year as 2 Unlimited's - Hits Unlimited :butt:)

Gnidrolog - In Spite of Harry's Toe-Nail
Echoic 70s prog, sometimes brooding & aggressive, sometimes light & flighty, not very polished, but that adds to the charm. Shame not many people know about them. I'd certainly recommend them if you like Jethro Tull/Van Der Graff.

Machine & The Synergetic Nuts - Leap Second Neutral
2000s instrumental Prog-Laced Canterbury Jazz thing from Japan. For all of it's "old-school" influences it sounds remarkably fresh & exciting, So much so that after I bought it, I listened to this album pretty much exclusively for about 2 weeks. It's a shame they haven’t released a new album in a while

Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite
One of my favorite Progressive Metal albums. A big pantomime concept album full of theatricals, Atlantean myths, and good wholesome metal.

Rollersnake posted:

Giant for a Day is pretty drat bad, but compared to other crap albums by formerly great prog bands, it's waaay better than, say, '90s Yes.

Owner of a lonely heart owns! :colbert:

Rollersnake posted:

Magma - Ëmëhntëhtt-Rê (2009)

Awesome album!:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tripplejol
Jan 1, 2006

While we're talking King Crimson, I was wondering if anyone could give me a recommendation.

I have Court of the Crimson King & Discipline, and while I do enjoy both of the albums, the variation in sounds between the two has left me a bit cautious on where to go next.

Any ideas? What is considered a must-have King crimson album, outside of Hall of the Crimson King.

Rollersnake posted:

'90s Yes

Well, it's not terrible in and of itself, but compared to their older stuff, it is a pile of turd.

What really baffles me is the fact they ripped-off Monkey Island so blatantly.

Tripplejol
Jan 1, 2006

teen bear posted:

He's something else. After hearing Area I went on a bit of an Italian prog binge but haven't been able to find anything like them.

What albums got you into Gentle Giant? A friend of mine keeps telling me to listen to them but I wasn't really impressed after hearing In a Glass House.

It depends what tickles your pickle prog-wise, their sound went through a lot of changes in the 10 or so years they were around. Having said that Free Hand is the album I'd recommend, it's what got me into GG.

Tripplejol fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 27, 2010