Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Great Aspie
Jan 13, 2006

The idea is if we don't look out the white race will be utterly submerged
I got around to listening to Transatlantic's The Whirlwind.

It is refreshing to hear new music that sounds like prog.mp3 should, and I enjoyed this one almost as much as Bridge Across Forever or SMPTe. I realized that this is the first stuff I've heard from Neal Morse since Snow, because I assumed he left Spock's Beard to record piano songs about jesus. Are any of his solo records anything like Transatlantic or the old Spock's Beard?

The Great Aspie fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Aspie
Jan 13, 2006

Goddammit now I have to check out Neal Morse's solo stuff. I think NVD isn't really singing in his natural voice, which is heard on Snow, but he's doing his best Neal Morse instead. It's the Gabriel/Collins analogy thing. NVD has at least 3 whole notes higher range than Neal, which is great for songs like "On a Perfect Day" which can not be sung by Neal.

After a 10 year wait, I had to miss Transatlantic's US tour again. 3.5 hour concert is more than enough, considering they could easily make a full concert out of "Duel with the Devil" and "My New World".

The Great Aspie
Jan 13, 2006

I started listening to Magma with Kobaia. The 70s fusion feel made it easier for me to acclimate to the Zeuhl that would be in later albums.

The Great Aspie
Jan 13, 2006

Chroma Key is poo poo. OSI sucks. gently caress Kevin Moore forever for leaving Dream Theater and everything they created post-Awake.

The Great Aspie
Jan 13, 2006

Fungah posted:

There are people who don't like Metropolis Pt. 2?

It was nice to hear extended versions of the phrases from Pt. 1. The lyrics were like a lot of Yes' lyrics - constructed to fit a musical idea rather than tell any particular story. All that changed with Part 2. Naming Metropolis "Pt. 1" was originally a brilliant Mike Portnoy troll, but fans wanted to hear a part 2.

The Great Aspie
Jan 13, 2006

Arjen Anthony Lucassen - I've only listened to his Ayreon prog rock-opera stuff like Into the Electric Castle and The Human Equation. It is really good stuff, with a cast of prog metal allstars making contributions to the albums. The trouble I had with the Ayreon project is that the guest talent gets in the way of listening to Lucassen himself, so I never got a good feel for him as a performer. It is completely different from listening to, for example, Frank Zappa, where you could instantly recognize where Frank contributed.

Is Ayreon his best work, or does his new Guilt Machine project's limited lineup make Arjen's performance more recognizable?

The Great Aspie
Jan 13, 2006

Dishwasher posted:

Where has the actual progress gone in the alleged progressive genre?

There is plenty of music being made today that is pushing the boundaries,; it is just not being labeled "progressive."

Rick Wakeman said "Prog is about knowing the rules and then breaking them" and for some reason that all stopped in the mid 70s with progressive rock. I think we all know that Genesis, Yes, and other prog bands became regressive rock with their late-1970's-80's pop sound.

Bill Bruford left Yes at the right time, because all of the musical innovation in the early-mid 70's progressive rock scene went directly to jazz fusion. Fusion ran its course shortly after, and regressed into smooth jazz.

Neo-Prog bands, like Marillion and IQ, seemed to be more like an attempt at genre revival than anything literally progressive. So characterizing them as "progressive rock" is somewhat of a misnomer. Maybe the so-called New Prog movement will produce another group like Muse that lives up to the namesake.

The Great Aspie
Jan 13, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

Speaking of High Tide

I stumbled upon them a few weeks ago searching for actual sea shanties for a folk thing I'm doing.

Definitely heavy stuff for its time. Although I hear mostly a jazz fusion ala Mahavishnu sound more than a proto-prog. Miles Davis' In a Silent Way was released in early '69, so maybe that had some influence on these guys.

The Great Aspie
Jan 13, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg9jHTYZ-6U

The Great Aspie
Jan 13, 2006

lol, Asia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_394sYUc358

The Great Aspie
Jan 13, 2006

yeah i hope the dude played The Nice's America on his radio show- because it was made as an instrumental protest song

also keith emerson did this supposedly 50' above ground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSm5IQFaTZA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Aspie
Jan 13, 2006

Gimmedaroot posted:

Oh dear god...that is just wrong. Its one thing to be influenced by someone, its another thing to just blatantly rip someone off. That cut was "Dogs", thru and thru. I thought it was bad when I heard Tool do "46 and 2" because it was just an angrier version of Crimson's "Frame By Frame" but "Time Flies" is just flat out plagiarism.

also Porcupine Tree's "My Ashes" is literally Led Zeppelin's "No Quarter"