Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprint
Feb 4, 2006
I came to NMD wondering if a prog thread had sprouted, actually, so I'm glad to see one here!

If you're looking for something with similar stuff in In the Court, you could also check out Crimson's second release, In the Wake of Poseidon. It' not quite as much of a blockbuster, but there is still some good stuff on there, particularly "Pictures of a City".

Most of what my recommendations would be were covered by TheForgotton (though I would argue Fragile and Godbluff are better introductory albums for Yes and Van der Graaf Generator respectively, though it really is just splitting hairs), but I would also throw in Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick, which is an absolute prog rock classic, and made even better when you discover the whole thing was supposed to be a spoof of prog at the time.

Edit: For those interested in that sort of thing, the BBC put out a really good documentary on classic British prog called Prog Rock Britannia a couple of years ago. It mainly focuses on the 'Big Four' (King Crimson, ELP, Yes and Genesis), but gives a good insight into what was going on in the music at that time.

Sprint fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprint
Feb 4, 2006
^^^^ Just want to say thank you for this site! Am finding fantastic deals on albums I've been having trouble getting. Are they usually reliable/good quality?

Sprint
Feb 4, 2006
I didn't think this news could support its own thread, so I've resurrected this one to let all the Van der Graaf Generator fans on SA know that the band has just released a new album today, A Grounding in Numbers.

Last night, I was thinking about the band for the first time in months and I decided to see what they were up to, remembering rumblings of a new album awhile back. Lo and behold, when I looked, the album had only been available for the past two hours, so I snapped it up on iTunes.

This album is a much better use of the trio format than they had on Trisector, where it felt like they were doing older-style songs without replacing the missing sax/flute and it felt like there was a bit of a hole in their sound. Not so with this album - they've got the balance down and there are one or two tracks that are straight ahead guitar/bass/drums and still sound fantastic.

There is a track listing and near hour-long interview with Peter Hammill about the album and the history of VdGG here.

Anyone check this one out yet?