Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

To revive this thread, I shall post the uplifting news that James LaBrie's new album Static Impulse is not only a great listen, it's also proof that restraint is good. Hopefully Petrucci and Rudess will hear it, realize how good music sounds without bizarre patches and hugely distorted solos all over it, and make a good DT album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

LashLightning posted:

Thanks for all the Prog Metal bands you guys have been posting: After listening to Tool and Ayreon, I've been looking for more bands like them.

The creator of Ayreon has like a billion side projects, of which Guilt Machine and Star One are particularly excellent. Check them out if you like Ayreon I guess.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

God damnit A Change Of Seasons just came on in some Spotify playlist and I just remembered the same band made The Astonishing, and that was a real thing that occurred.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

OSI is good but the third album is by far the best IMO.

If you delete all the midtempo cheesefest ballads, dream theater were acceptable up until Octavarium.

The last two albums are worse than the demos portnoy myung and petrucci made in college in every single way, including the bass and drum production somehow

They have a literal beast in John Myung and they made him play root notes for two hours on the astonishing, petrucci and rudess should be in the hauge for that. The new jelly jam album had some nice grooves on it tho.

Also has anyone heard Neil Morse's simulation of a dream or whatever it's called? I heard it's solid but it's not on Spotify and I don't know if I want to take the risk

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

It's really poppy and straightforward relative to Grace For Drowning or Hand Cannot Erase, but I really dig it.
He probably needs to stop doing the falsetto though...

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Iucounu posted:

SW doesn't have the voice for this kind of music. That falsetto is terrible.

Like how did he produce and edit this for hours and not once spot how wacked it sounds :(

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I haven't spun it yet but the new Threshold album is on Spotify - anyone heard it yet?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

The new Leprous album would still be incredible if it was exclusively just the drum tracks. Like I am no drumhead and even I can tell it's incredible.
It's just a really really beautiful album and I congratulate them on executing their shift in tone/approach so well.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Maybe the topic passed but Steven Wilson is responsible for Heartattack In A Layby which might be some of the best lyrics put to tape and I will fight anyone who disagrees, but very gently so as to keep with the vibe of the track

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Paladinus posted:

You want a hot take? I love Systematic Chaos and even Black Clouds & Silver Linings.

This is a midtemp take, the hot take is “i only like the post-portnoy albums especially their 2 hour future space medieval CRPG album”

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

The new Gazpacho album Soyuz is out, and it's good.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Yeah it sucks PT isn't happening since The Incident was decent and Fear Of A Blank Planet was incredible, easily the best SW album in my opinion (although a lot of PT is up there)

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

The new Pineapple Thief album is out and is an improvement on Your Wilderness, which was already pretty decent

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Colonel J posted:

When I was younger and getting into prog metal, I revered Dream Theater. Queensryche were always mentioned along them, but 15 years later I still dont get why. They're so awful.

Tangential but the other day I remembered that Dream Theater released mid-2000 video game quality pictures of the characters in The Astonishing and had a good laugh

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Saw The Pineapple Thief on Wednesday night in Berlin, they were great although the setlist was I think overly heavy on the last two albums. Although I think they skipped us last time so maybe that's why. White Mist is a loving amazing song though and I'm glad it's on there.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Came out a while ago so it may've been discussed here, but Haken dropped 'Puzzle Box' off their new album and it's really good, I like it a lot more than 'The Good Doctor' which I thought was a bit poo poo

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Paladinus posted:

Ayreon is doing Electric Castle live next year. The cast is already shaping up great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO5yvFKISA4

The first four seconds of this made me laugh super hard. It's like Arjen was temporarily controlled by Tommy Wiseau

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I saw Riverside last night and holy poo poo guys, could be the best show I've ever seen. They were full of energy, sounded phenomenal, and the new songs work really nicely live. They didn't play anything from Shrine of New Generation Slaves which was sad, but overall a nice varied set with plenty from the back catalogue as well. 100% definitely see them if you get the chance. They also played River Down Below and dedicated it to Piotr, and it was really beautiful. I was super glad to see they decided to honour him by playing as well as they possibly loving can.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I'm going to be optimstic on this one just because Labrie sounds OK and the drums were recorded above water for once.
I mean it can't be WORSE than the last two albums.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Yeah The Incident was a huge disappointment after Fear. I don’t think he’s ever quite matched Fear with his solo albums yet, although Hand Cannot Erase was really good

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Vulture Culture posted:

Just discovered Soup and these guys kick rear end, highly recommended for people who dig Bruce Soord-type crossover stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_D1pHoQw-M

Speaking of, where the hell is the new Wisdom Of Crowds :(

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Sir Lemming posted:

This is from the new Flying Colors that came out last week and it is Toto AF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbhn25fUjUM

Rest of the album is good too, my only complaint is it's kind of "the first album but better". But I mean, it is better, so.

I liked the first album but the second was a dud for me so I am fine with this. It really is just a tighter debut.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Bench Pressing to the Dance Of Eternity is how I ended up with one extremely swole arm and one arm microscopically thin

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Turambar posted:

Well, this certainly is something:

Thank You Scientist - Party All the Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EJ4uakszWc

Also probably going to Prognosis festival in The Netherlands next year

Some highlights:
KATATONIA
ANATHEMA
LONG DISTANCE CALLING
SONS OF APOLLO

Hot drat I need to try and align a business trip with this and go - don't sleep on Bruce Soord (of The Pineapple Thief), I saw him last year and he was pretty great. Voyager's new album is also pretty good (their Leprous / Haken / Caligula's Horse influences got a bit too strong but still solid) and Enslaved put on a good show too.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Paladinus posted:

Pure Reason Revolution are reuniting for a new album. Hope I'm not the only one excited about it. Would love to see them live someday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLlKj5u_SJ8

Holy gently caress! poo poo! Yes!

I saw Bullet Height (Jon Courtney's other project he started after PRR) in Germany and the album itself is pretty inoffensive but doesn't even come close to scratching the PRR itch

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

GORDON posted:

I'm actually more looking forward to seeing the look on my kid's face, than meeting Devin.

It'll be super cool to shake Devin's hand and thank him for all the amazing music... but... yeah. :-)

You should tell Devin this, he'll love it

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0BD5KGuZ1M

Green Carnation have a new song after 16? years of no new music. It's decent.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Incoherence posted:

New Caligula's Horse single. I'm kinda hoping their North American tour doesn't get coronavirus'd too...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNc5PT645sU

Song whips, these dudes can do no wrong

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I can't believe I get to post this in 2020, but Pure Reason Revolution's album just dropped and it's really, really good.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Rollersnake posted:

I honestly hadn't realized the sheer breadth of Rieflin's work until this past week. I knew he was in Ministry, but didn't realize he was Ministry's drummer when they were at their absolute peak, that he was in Swans, etc.

Gonna order this later today and wait for the physical copy, if I can stand to. Also, considering they would have decided upon it months ago at least, that is an amazing title for an album released at this particular moment in time.

Ah it's definitely a random coincidence, I think the newsdump for the album is like a year old at this point.
Haken's upcoming album is called Virus so we're 2 for 2 on wacky title timings

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

My favourite FW album is FWX and I feel bad about it but they're at their best when they're writing short, focused songs! Ahhh I'm sorry!!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Thoughts on the new Haken? I feel like between vector and virus there's one album of solid content

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

MasqueradeOverture posted:

Octavarium's an interesting album (2005). A lot of stuff either melded with modern UK alternative (Muse, Radiohead, U2) and old school 70's prog. Probably the last time they experimented to such a degree while staying memorable.

Something happened with following two albums where Mike Portnoy pushed for a more radio active rock sound and, uh... it didn't work.

Then of course Portnoy left, but except for the "return to form" that is A Dramatic Turn Of Events and maybe half of their self-titled, they've hit creative bankruptcy.

The Astonishing is an abomination Jesus loving Christ.

I thought Distance Over Time was alright although I cannot remember a single moment of any track from it so maybe it's not, heh.

The Astonishing is genuinely horrendous and even the album title makes me feel a deep fatigue

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Dream Theater's biggest mistake was letting Petrucci (and Portnoy for a while) anywhere near the production and mastering desks.

edit: God I just remembered when the self-titled was coming out and Petrucci did some interview where he's like oh my guitar tone is like chocolate cake, so thick and layered and then it turned out tinny and awful

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Pain Of Salvation dropped another single - PANTHER, and it's got these cool electronic tinges to it but the vocal lines are really weird, kind of a weird spoken poem rap

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

New Dream Theater single has two things going for it - Myung’s bass is real juicy in the mix, and the drumming is tight as gently caress, definitely Mangini’s best showing so far.

Rest of it is DT-by-numbers and pretty forgettable. Labrie is lower in the mix and singing in a lower register which is nice I guess.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

New release today: Mike Mangini - Play alongside an AI that’s been fed the last four DT albums

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Im hype as a kite for the album but god Steven just seems like a chore to deal with lol

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

The new Pure Reason Revelution dropped and wastes no time, definitely a heavier rock vibe than the comeback album. Feels like a treat this band even still exists, let alone sound so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

After the somewhat middling first single I am now fucken hype as hell for this album