Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

No, Karin kept her own umbilical cord as a memento (apparently that's a good luck thing??) and Suigetsu figured it was Salad's, so he ran the DNA test and saw 100% match (which would mean Salad and Karin are one and the same, not mother and daughter) and thought that meant Sasuke banged Karin.

Suigetsu is the best, basically.

Let us not forget that Karin was a science officer under Orochimaru and genuinely loyal to him. Doing creepy stuff like keeping their own umbilical cord feels creepy enough for an Orochimaru minion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Naruto: My son is also named Bort

Bloodplay it again posted:

Is there an updated list of filler I can begin skipping? I'm on ~118 of Shippuuden right now (years old spoiler: Sasuke just killed Orochimaru, or so it seems. I'm watching the episodes shortly after the 3-tailed arc.

http://animefiller.com/naruto-shippuden-filler-list/

Do yourself a favor and skip all filler. If you really care, you can go back and watch some of it (Kakashi's ANBU arc is supposedly decent).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

seiferguy posted:

http://animefiller.com/naruto-shippuden-filler-list/

Do yourself a favor and skip all filler. If you really care, you can go back and watch some of it (Kakashi's ANBU arc is supposedly decent).
This site runs out in the 460s. I think they gave up.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
http://www.animefillerlist.com/shows/naruto-shippuden
This one is better.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah though the problem with Shippuden is they often stuck bits of canon material at the end of filler arcs and had a few episodes during a canon arc that expanded upon details the manga glossed over so watching based on that list might make things seem a little disjointed at times.

Though since I've recently started my own rewatch of the series here's a list of my own I've come up with for Shippuden from scanning episode summaries (note: This list also includes filler arcs that have canon material attached, light novel adaptions and arcs that aren't in the manga but expand on information we were already given in it so you could probably knock a few episodes off if you wanted):

1-169 (there's a bunch of story arcs in the beginning that all lead directly into one another so it's kind of hard to find a good cut-off point)
172-179
197-222
243-256
261-270
272-280
282-283
286-289
296-308
318-319
321-375
378-426
451-493
The Last (not necessary viewing but technically still canon)
494-500

Then if you want you could check out the "The Day Naruto Became Hokage" special and the Boruto movie to finish things off. Granted, this doesn't cut things down by very much but it at least makes sure you don't miss anything important (Road to Ninja is also an alright movie that Kishimoto had direct involvement with, only problem is there's no good place to put it in the series timeline without contradicting current events or creating plotholes later on).

While I'm at it, here's a much shorter guide for the original series as well:

1-96
98-100
102-141
216-220

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 27, 2017

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'll go out on a different tangent. If you play every ultimate ninja storm (besides generations and... Crap I forgot the other spinoff. All the numbered ones)

You basically get the naruto story without filler. Any disagreements there?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

I'll go out on a different tangent. If you play every ultimate ninja storm (besides generations and... Crap I forgot the other spinoff. All the numbered ones)

You basically get the naruto story without filler. Any disagreements there?

That would be the shortest route through the series, yes.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Larryb posted:

That would be the shortest route through the series, yes.

Yeah if all you really wanted was the major story beats and all, plus you get to be interactive with fights and qtes. It's definitely not a bad way to go through the series. It does require having a ps3 and a ps4.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Thanks, everyone, for the input. I don't mind the occasional filler episode (for example, 119-120 [Kakashi's Rasengan story] were completely enjoyable to me because you learn more backstory about a central character and support characters), but there are some episodes that I don't realize are part of a terrible arc until I'm most of the way through it. When watching Naruto, there was an episode about how the Curry of Life saved Rock Lee and I felt completely depleted by the time the episode was finished. I'm up to #123 now and enjoying Shippuuden a lot more than Naruto because I find the amount of time per battle spent explaining what someone has just done or is about to do has been cut down dramatically.

I no longer have a PS3 or I'd give the whole UNS series a try and it looks like 3 and 4 are the only two available for PC. Part of the appeal of UNS4 for me was that it was updated to add 60 FPS support recently and looks great, but it was also at a time when I thought I was getting close to the end of Naruto to where it would tie in, not realizing Shippuuden was a thing at all. You'd think I would have tripped over a major piece of information like that sometime over the past decade, but nope. The only exposure to Naruto I've had aside from what I've watched over the past handful of months is accidentally winding up at a Naruto Character Popularity Polls wiki page.

I launched the game and played the first mission a few times until I got S rank on it. I definitely can't play beyond that point for another few hundred episodes. I really wish I hadn't played that first mission because now I just want to keep playing. I've also considered trying to find the manga locally at a decent price because I could probably finish the story much faster than cherry picking episodes.

re: character popularity polls

Sasuke is the third-most popular character by the end of manga #60, 4th most popular by #107, back up to third for the third official poll (through #199), and comes in at first by #245 (Naruto's Homecoming). How??? Sasuke doesn't ooze an ounce of coolness until the manga hits ~#343, which is about 114 episodes into Shippuuden and starts getting a posse. Kakashi's popularity doesn't surprise me and obviously Naruto's popularity makes sense, but Sasuke? It's really sad to see Rock Lee and Gaara ranked so much further below him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Look up Iruka's numbers if you want a laugh.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Dexo posted:

Look up Iruka's numbers if you want a laugh.

I thought initially he'd play a much bigger role and maybe it was just a huge burst after the first poll but no, he's up there in most of them. :psyduck:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
He's nice and cute and he's basically Naruto's dad. I like him.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Neji being ranked so high is somewhat surprising.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sasuke is the third-most popular character by the end of manga #60, 4th most popular by #107, back up to third for the third official poll (through #199), and comes in at first by #245 (Naruto's Homecoming). How??? Sasuke doesn't ooze an ounce of coolness until the manga hits ~#343, which is about 114 episodes into Shippuuden and starts getting a posse. Kakashi's popularity doesn't surprise me and obviously Naruto's popularity makes sense, but Sasuke? It's really sad to see Rock Lee and Gaara ranked so much further below him.

Lots of girls like Sasuke + chuunibyou teens who think the Sharingan is badass.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Bolt will have the byakugan right? Please?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Bolt will have the byakugan right? Please?

We know his sister does at least and it would be nice to see a power other than the Sharingan get some focus for once. Speaking of which, I wonder if Himawari is going to get any development in the new series or basically stick to the background and become the new Tenten.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm probably gonna throw together a Boruto thread since this one is pretty old, and give some watching advice / character synopsis, since I'm kind of somewhat excited to watch it, for some dumb reason.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Thanks, everyone, for the input. I don't mind the occasional filler episode (for example, 119-120 [Kakashi's Rasengan story] were completely enjoyable to me because you learn more backstory about a central character and support characters), but there are some episodes that I don't realize are part of a terrible arc until I'm most of the way through it. When watching Naruto, there was an episode about how the Curry of Life saved Rock Lee and I felt completely depleted by the time the episode was finished. I'm up to #123 now and enjoying Shippuuden a lot more than Naruto because I find the amount of time per battle spent explaining what someone has just done or is about to do has been cut down dramatically.

I no longer have a PS3 or I'd give the whole UNS series a try and it looks like 3 and 4 are the only two available for PC. Part of the appeal of UNS4 for me was that it was updated to add 60 FPS support recently and looks great, but it was also at a time when I thought I was getting close to the end of Naruto to where it would tie in, not realizing Shippuuden was a thing at all. You'd think I would have tripped over a major piece of information like that sometime over the past decade, but nope. The only exposure to Naruto I've had aside from what I've watched over the past handful of months is accidentally winding up at a Naruto Character Popularity Polls wiki page.

I launched the game and played the first mission a few times until I got S rank on it. I definitely can't play beyond that point for another few hundred episodes. I really wish I hadn't played that first mission because now I just want to keep playing. I've also considered trying to find the manga locally at a decent price because I could probably finish the story much faster than cherry picking episodes.

re: character popularity polls

Fujoshis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

seiferguy posted:

I'm probably gonna throw together a Boruto thread since this one is pretty old, and give some watching advice / character synopsis, since I'm kind of somewhat excited to watch it, for some dumb reason.

Me too, and I can't explain why. I haven't watched the anime in years. I think I'm just hopeful they do something cool with it for the first 100 episodes.

• Locked thread