Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah next week looks like it has some smooth animation in it. This week was a good episode, moving the plot right along. God I am really annoyed with that ED. Also, just read the plot for the next shippuden movie, coming out in July. It sounds kind of awesome, actually.

Assigned on a mission to capture Mukade, a missing-nin, Naruto Uzumaki sets out for the once glorious historic ruins of "Ouran", where he pursues and corners the rogue ninja. Mizukade’s goal is revealed to be a dormant leyline within the ruins; he unleashes the power of the leyline, causing a light to envelop Naruto, sending him into the past, 20 years before the series began. When Naruto awakens, he comes into contact with his father, the Fourth Hokage, Minato Namikaze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
If you've read ahead in the manga, don't even hint about what is coming next. This is where poo poo gets really nuts.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I felt they padded today's episode a little too much, (next episode spoiler)I was hoping hinata would show up by the end of this episode, now it looks like after she shows up won't happen until the very end of next week's episode :(

Incompl
Mar 23, 2008

Tonfa posted:

Also fuckin' :lol: at the omake/golden. Next week's going to be awesome.

LOL yeah I agree, hilarious. Pretty cool episode imo.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Kingtheninja posted:

I felt they padded today's episode a little too much, (next episode spoiler)I was hoping hinata would show up by the end of this episode, now it looks like after she shows up won't happen until the very end of next week's episode :(

Yeah, was sure that was going to be the closing shot rather than spoilered in the preview. On the other hand, looks like they spent a bit more of the animation budget on the next ep, so hopefully there will be some good fight-padding. Odd timing for it though, with all that's going on.

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006
This weeks episode actually made me shed a tear. :cry:

I dunno why, but my heartstrings were pulled out of my chest...

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Oh jesus christ. I didn't think it would be this sad. The animation was awesome, it especially fits Hinata's fighting style and made it look amazing. God I'm just going to weep in a corner now. Even the after credits part made me baww :(

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Way to make an extremely sad chapter even sadder, anime team. I'm glad she wasn't made to look quite so weak as in the manga, still doesn't stop it from being a huge bummer.

Jaweeeblop
Nov 12, 2004

Wow, the extra little bits added to this episode were perfect and the animation of the twin lion fist was every bit as awesome as I was hoping it would be.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There were some nice bits of animation, but does the bulk of the fight really have to look like this.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Freaksaus posted:

There were some nice bits of animation, but does the bulk of the fight really have to look like this.
That sort of animation works in motion, but doesn't really lend itself to still frames - I never noticed it because I didn't pause and I thought the fight was pretty well animated, but I guess it falls apart if you hold it under a fine lens.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Freaksaus posted:

If you want really fluid animation a lot of the times that is how it's going to look. At least with anime. When shows go for the fast paced fluid action, they use a lot less linework in their frames because they're drawing more overall frames. It used to bug the hell out of me when I first saw it but now I like it with a couple exceptions.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Oh hell yes. I've been waiting for those red eyes for drat near forever. Pity about the event that triggered it though.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I thought the animation as fine and don't know what you're all complaining about. The bigger crime here was the dialogue. It felt even more mindnumbingly bad than in the manga for some reason.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

AshB posted:

I thought the animation as fine and don't know what you're all complaining about. The bigger crime here was the dialogue. It felt even more mindnumbingly bad than in the manga for some reason.

The manga was just like 2 pages IIRC.

Oh hey Hinata's here. "Naruto I love you". Oh look she's charging Pain. Welp that didn't end well

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 24, 2010

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I was referring more to Pain going on and on and on about peace. It was really lovely in the manga and even shittier in the anime.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Alright so I'm up to date with the anime and I'm torn on whether or not to read ahead in the manga. I like being surprised but the anime sometimes drags thing on like that ridiculous 100 episodes of filler from the first series. Just wondering if anyone has done so or would care to give advice about spoiling the anime by reading ahead in the manga.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Corte posted:

Alright so I'm up to date with the anime and I'm torn on whether or not to read ahead in the manga. I like being surprised but the anime sometimes drags thing on like that ridiculous 100 episodes of filler from the first series. Just wondering if anyone has done so or would care to give advice about spoiling the anime by reading ahead in the manga.

I'd say don't spoil yourself right now. See this is the high point for a while. Then it gets bad. Then it starts to get good again.

Wait until it's bad to read ahead.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Hinata is dead finally, whoohoo!. I hate hinata, but they did that very touching.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

That ep handled things far better than the manga, I wonder if they will think to (manga spoiler)remove the indications that Hinata is still alive, since it's moot anyway.

ipokesnails
May 28, 2007

:downs:

They gave us a lot of funny looking faces in this episode.

ipokesnails fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 25, 2010

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

This episode was far better than I could have possibly expected. :smith:

... :smith:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

ipokesnails posted:

:downs:

They gave us a lot of funny looking faces in this episode.

Ah! It's "gimme back mah gaara" 2.0

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

The part where the audio goes out and Pain pulls Hinata up into the air, then down with a boom, then without audio again and stabs her all to a shocked faced Naruto was the best part. Probably one of the most intense scenes in the entire show.

Graphics fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 25, 2010

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Perhaps some spoiler tags might go well with that post?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Overture posted:

The part where the audio goes out and Pain pulls Hinata up into the air, then down with a boom, then without audio again and stabs her all to a shocked faced Naruto was the best part. Probably one of the most intense scenes in the entire show.

I wish every episode had direction and a budget like that. Next one is going to be off the chain.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Man, I've been waiting for the next episode for sooooo long, next Thursday can't come fast enough.

Also it's funny some of the fights in that game trailer look better then the anime.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Goddamn that was a good ep.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

:smith:

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom
That was loving amazing. I don't guess next episode is going to be done with that animation style as well? :( Big fights are pretty much wasted if they aren't animated fluidly like that.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Oh no they didn't. :ohdear:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Captain_duck posted:

Hinata is dead finally, whoohoo!. I hate hinata, but they did that very touching.

gently caress that. Her death was so quick and padded out with flash backs and back story that her fight scene felt really underwhelming. I was hoping to see how her fighting style has developed. That won't be happening now. :smith:

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Seriously, this is making it very hard for me not to jump ahead via the manga - I've never actually found myself anticipating a new Naruto episode as much as this arc has made me.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
I always thought this was some silly cartoon for nine-year-olds, but then my old roommate who was actually a pretty cool/normal person said he watches this regularly.

So now I'm curious. Which do I start watching? Naruto or Naruto Shippuuden? What's the difference? Or is the manga better?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Naruto comes before Naruto Shippuuden, so if you watch the anime, start there up until around episode 135 when it turns into a big long run of filler, which is material not covered in the manga. Come back for the last episode of Naruto then jump over to Shippuuden.

After watching the first Wave Country arc of Naruto, jump over and read the corresponding manga. If you like how the anime portrayed those events more, stick with the anime. Just note that Kishimoto gets better as an artist over time.

Feel free to use the Naruto wiki or Leafninja.com (my site, which I tend to neglect updating) if you have any questions or want to read more. I try to spoiler flag things on my site, so you can read info without getting wrecked.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Safe and Secure! posted:

I always thought this was some silly cartoon for nine-year-olds, but then my old roommate who was actually a pretty cool/normal person said he watches this regularly.

So now I'm curious. Which do I start watching? Naruto or Naruto Shippuuden? What's the difference? Or is the manga better?

This is not a straightforward question, I'm afraid.

Off the bat, don't start with Shippuuden, you won't know what's going on or who anyone is.

I would probably read the manga in it's entirety and watch the anime selectively. The anime has lots of filler material (I think about half the second episode is filler) which is pretty dire much of the time, though maybe there are some watchable arcs out there. At the same time, it has some superbly animated fights, and occasionally embellishes well on the source material, extending fights or showing ones that occurred "off screen" in the manga. Perhaps watch the anime of as long as you wish, if you feel it's slowing down, switch to the manga. Maybe just start both and get a feel for how you wish to proceed.

Sorry if any of this seems patronising, I'm assuming you have no prior knowledge of ongoing anime.

Edit: ^^^ that's pretty sound advice, though I would say you should probably be good to watch the first year's worth of anime. You don't want to miss the fight at around 48 (not sure about the number, folks will know what I mean)

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
Alright then, I'll try out both the anime and the manga. Thanks, guys.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
psh, manga is for nerds. Just watch the anime up until it hits filler. Then watch the piss rainbow episode and then the last episode.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Just read the manga unless you hate reading manga or something. The only really good parts of the anime are the most important fights, because they have actual animation budgets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Just watch the goddamn TV show.

• Locked thread