Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Think of it this way: When you have a girl over what is she more likely to see, a big bookcase full of Naruto manga or a folder deeply hidden within the bowels of your computer? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

SpartanIV posted:

Think of it this way: When you have a girl over what is she more likely to see, a big bookcase full of Naruto manga or a folder deeply hidden within the bowels of your computer? :colbert:

If a girl can't at least accept that I enjoy what pretty much amounts to Comic books then that's not a girl I want to be with.
:goonsay:

Alternate Answer: I have :filez: of Manga as well.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.
It's not a big secret, there are links in the other thread to the latest manga chapter when it comes out every week. Of course, they're unofficial "scanlations" but they'll do.

Kenshi
Sep 29, 2004
After the barely animated episodes as of late, the newest episode is truly the best one yet by far, even when compared to the Valley of the End and Rock Lee v Kimimaro episodes.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Well that was pretty much the raddest episode, despite the really goofy animation for the fighting in the first half of the episode making it impossible to take seriously. Some really :byodood: Pain faces in there.

I just about lost it with whack-a-Pain followed by a deadpan "Do you hate me?" from Pain head buried in the ground

The new ED though, :ughh:. This is at least the third or fourth time they've used Sakura walking in the sand, they could at least pretend to have some new ideas.

Mide
Jun 2, 2009
Pain's facial expressions during "Planetary Destruction" were hilarious yet awesome at the same time.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Episode 167 is the first time animation in the Naruto anime has truly blown me away since episode 133 of the original series.

And it's unsurprising, as it's apparently the first time "Atsushi Wakabayashi" has worked on a Shippuden episode and supposedly he was animation director for...yes, episodes 30, 71 and 133 of the original anime.

Most of the original source material in the manga is so mediocre I don't give a poo poo about whether or not the anime handles it accurately now, so this episode is the best I could've hoped for.

Unfortunately for them, it seems about 50% of the fanbase really hated this episode. I guess this episode didn't have enough still, "well-drawn" shots of bishies for them. :v:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
gently caress that, this episode was the series. Goofy poo poo in the beginning aside, this is the animation that makes fighting look awesome. The high speed of everything really adds to it. I don't care if this was a lot of filler, it was brilliant. I am so pumped right now, the last couple minutes of the episode were amazing too. The music was perfect.

Also, I don't care what the new ED has in it as long as I don't have to hear the word bicycle in japanese anymore.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

You know I even appreciate all the goofy poo poo. Even Pain's ridiculous "MY PAIN IS GREATER THAN YOURS" moment with not a single accurate frame was just so batshit crazy that it's simply far more entertaining than an accurate version of the scene would've been.

And considering that this show is mostly an atrocious bore, I'll take anything it can do to entertain me at all.

PastaSky
Dec 15, 2009
Oh god the animation in this episode was so ridiculous I had to go and check and make sure it was real after the first 5 minutes.

Wack a mole pain
Pains face with his "my pain is greater than yours"
Pain doing a road runner type thing with his legs
Pain skating along the canyon.

The last 8 minutes were awesome though. Lasers, black holes it was like a sci fi show.

PastaSky fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 1, 2010

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

:gonk:

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I don't care what anyone says this was an amazing episode and the rest of the series should live up to this masterpiece.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Yeah, moves beautifully, but the deviation from the character models gets offputting even before they turn to blancmange. The end was great though, great use of music.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

The fluid motion of martial arts that pain was using would probably be one of my favorite parts of this episode. It was precise, and very fancy looking.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
haven't watched shippuuden since the kakashi chronicles and i am gonna try and catch up but are there any filler episodes i can skip, or has it been all canon?

Primous
Jul 30, 2008
I can deal with the distorted faces because as once seen on top gear if you are actually moving fast and being thrown around at high speed your body and face will appear distorted. Still I dislike the fact that Pain was basically immortal from all the blows to the head and what not, his power seems significantly increased from what it was in the manga.

Edit

That face looks like the stretched out faces that Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis make in beetlejuice when they are trying to scare the couples out of the house.

Primous fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 2, 2010

Anime is great!
Sep 14, 2007

That last ep was really strange. I liked it sure, but it totally seemed like a different anime. You can really tell that there are multiple animation houses at work when you see something like this.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Primous posted:

Edit

That face looks like the stretched out faces that Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis make in beetlejuice when they are trying to scare the couples out of the house.

YES! Thank you, I was hoping I wasn't the only person thinking this.

Ronnz
Mar 6, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

YES! Thank you, I was hoping I wasn't the only person thinking this.

I thought of that like a minute before reading the post you quoted.

I loved the episode too, drat the big fights should always be animated like that.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
The animation in the Planetary Devastation episode distinctly reminded me of FLCL.

And for that, I am thankful. Shippuden is entertainment. This episode, it was art.

EDIT: So gently caress all you haters.

Raymondo Person
Jun 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Gonna have to agree completely with Mr. Deathy. Haven't cared for this show since I stopped being 13 but I saw some Naruto fans bitch about this episode while posting screenshots and watched it immediately since I'm a huge animation nerd. Pretty much some of the best, most stylish I've seen in ages.

Anime is great! posted:

That last ep was really strange. I liked it sure, but it totally seemed like a different anime. You can really tell that there are multiple animation houses at work when you see something like this.
The one thing I really love about the Japanese animation industry is that they give individual key animators tons of freedom to show off their individual styles, so I never viewed that as a bad thing. Some of my favorite animes of all time are things like FLCL and Mind Game which focus on being expressive instead of perfectly on-model, something a lot of the best Western cartoons do.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That episode was pretty great, but the the fact that Pain's power suddenly worked completely differently than it had in the manga and every episode but this one was pretty distracting.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
Episode was great but the animation sucked. They need to stop that poo poo.

Exquisite Dead Guy
Oct 27, 2007
The animation was great. A bit goofy at points, sure, but fluid and fun to watch. They need to do MORE of that poo poo. The animation is usually boring as hell.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Probably one of the best single episodes of anime I've watched, loved it. Like non-stop fighting.

Of course I don't watch as many of the good anime lately (26-50ish episode stuff) and mostly just watch the juggernaut 5000 episode poo poo thats overall pretty average; so my memory is pretty hazy on the good stuff.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Hey look, another episode of Kemonozume! Awesome!

Also, tell me I wasn't the only one who thought this:

"Everybody wanted me to do it, him most of all. I felt like he was up there, waiting for me to take the pain away. He just wanted to go out like a soldier, standing up, not like some poor, wasted, rag-assed renegade. Even the jungle wanted him dead, and that's who he really took his orders from anyway. "

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Animation was poo poo and felt really out of place. Also, I thought I was watching Naruto, not Bleach.

Still a great episode.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

PastaSky posted:

Oh god the animation in this episode was so ridiculous I had to go and check and make sure it was real after the first 5 minutes.

Wack a mole pain
Pains face with his "my pain is greater than yours"
Pain doing a road runner type thing with his legs
Pain skating along the canyon.

This would have been the best episode if it wasn't for this poo poo. Given the intense nature of the episode it's weird they would do Cool World meets Looney Tunes instead of just keeping it like the end part.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

The animation was great; it reminds me of ep.4(?) of TTGL. I liked the animation in that episode too gently caress the haters

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Road Runner legs. Pain had Road Runner legs.

edit: I've taken to assuming that tails mode Naruto's perception is like being on acid and now the "my pain is greater than yours face" makes perfect sense.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 2, 2010

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I liked the animation in that episode too gently caress the haters

Pretty much this. The only legitametly bad animating was his face when he summoned the water or whatever when it basically melted and he opened the arc of the covenant.

MrWithers
Nov 24, 2007
That was beautiful.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Man the replies here are more like the other anime forums than I thought.

Like as in some people saying "the animation was poo poo" which is fundamentally wrong. The animation was outstanding no matter how you look at it. It's the ART quality which is questionable, but that is stylistic choice on the director's part. It's intentional. People can feel free not to like it of course, but they can't claim the fluid animation is bad without coming off sounding like an idiot.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Crossposting this from the manga thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPuu9RMsa1Y

Still can't stop laughing at "Do you hate me?"

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Thought I was being trolled or was watching a different show at first...

I don't like how they break the rules of the Narutoverse or whatever to call it. Where the hell did those crazy pillars come from? Did that water just come from absolutely nowhere? Don't you need hand seals or something to do that poo poo? I thought this Pain could only do the push/pull poo poo? And since when could Pain take blows like he was Luffy? First half is too goofy for being supposed to be an emotional moment.

But gently caress it this is still the best episode to come out of this lovely anime, mind = blown. Such a breath of fresh air from all the slow and stale poo poo in 90% of all anime out there, if only all animators had this much imagination and well, balls.

And gently caress all you haters saying Pains face during Planetary Destruction is silly, he is showing some loving emotion, yes even villains have those how fun would it be if they looked dead serious poker face all the time. (Oh wait they do, and not very eh)

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

Bisse posted:

And since when could Pain take blows like he was Luffy?

This part sucked for me, too. Earlier Naruto took out a Pain with one punch. Now pounding him into the ground like a loving nail doesn't even seem to hurt him.

Looked awesome, though.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
The art style was bad, and I thought the end of the episode was directed way better than the rest of it.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

Mr. Deathy posted:

Man the replies here are more like the other anime forums than I thought.

Like as in some people saying "the animation was poo poo" which is fundamentally wrong. The animation was outstanding no matter how you look at it. It's the ART quality which is questionable, but that is stylistic choice on the director's part. It's intentional. People can feel free not to like it of course, but they can't claim the fluid animation is bad without coming off sounding like an idiot.

The artistic style was an extreme departure that really didn't belong in this series, and was therefore poo poo.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I thought it was awesome. So what if it was a departure from the usual artistic style, Shippuuden and its usual artistic style is boring as hell.

The only bad part about it is that other episodes are going to seem that much more boring and slow in comparison, especially the upcoming year-ish of Sasuke BS that awaits at the end of this fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

Indiana_Krom posted:

especially the upcoming year-ish of Sasuke BS that awaits at the end of this fight.

As an anime-only viewer, you have just made me very happy. Oh so happy. :suicide:

• Locked thread