Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

This part sucked for me, too. Earlier Naruto took out a Pain with one punch. Now pounding him into the ground like a loving nail doesn't even seem to hurt him.

Looked awesome, though.

Im guessing its something like sasori's puppets. Now that Nagato only has one pain to work with, its stronger than if their are 6 of em. Plus, since its an animated corpse, i doubt he feels physical pain and can take a beating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Harettazetta posted:

As an anime-only viewer, you have just made me very happy. Oh so happy. :suicide:

We're only 60 chapters behind the manga(!) and it's not all Sasuke show, so don't despair.

Exquisite Dead Guy
Oct 27, 2007
A departure in art style does not mean it was poo poo. Out of place, maybe, but not poo poo. They've used this exact style three other times, anyway, so it's really nothing new. This and those other three are my favorite episodes of the series, and I wish they had the resources to do EVERY fight like those ones, personally. Honestly, I couldn't give less of a poo poo if characters are "on model" or not. My favorite series/movies tend to depart from that rigid ideal... (Gurren Lagann, FLCL, Mindgame, Kaiba, etc.)

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Not In Charleston posted:

A departure in art style does not mean it was poo poo. Out of place, maybe, but not poo poo. They've used this exact style three other times, anyway, so it's really nothing new. This and those other three are my favorite episodes of the series, and I wish they had the resources to do EVERY fight like those ones, personally. Honestly, I couldn't give less of a poo poo if characters are "on model" or not. My favorite series/movies tend to depart from that rigid ideal... (Gurren Lagann, FLCL, Mindgame, Kaiba, etc.)

Even if they have used this style before--and I recall they did during the big Naruto vs. Sasuke battle at the end of part 1--this was the ugliest I've seen it. That part where Pain turned into an inhuman blob was terrible.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

AshB posted:

That part where Pain turned into an inhuman blob was terrible.

Given the beating he was sustaining, being turned into an inhuman blob would have made more sense than what actually happened.

Anime is great!
Sep 14, 2007

Tonfa posted:

We're only 60 chapters behind the manga(!) and it's not all Sasuke show, so don't despair.
Heh... The Kyuubi is basically a pokemon and Pain's gotta catch 'em all. Oh hey look at the moon!

ipokesnails
May 28, 2007

Anime is great! posted:

Heh... The Kyuubi is basically a pokemon and Pain's gotta catch 'em all. Oh hey look at the moon!
So I've told you about my moon's eye plan?!
(manga spoiler)

ipokesnails fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 2, 2010

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Ugh, what a terrible episode.

Exquisite Dead Guy
Oct 27, 2007

AshB posted:

Even if they have used this style before--and I recall they did during the big Naruto vs. Sasuke battle at the end of part 1--this was the ugliest I've seen it.

Naruto vs. Sasuke:

Sasuke vs. Orochimaru:

All from the same animation director. 167 doesn't look much uglier/goofier than these two episodes under this level of scrutiny.

Exquisite Dead Guy fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 2, 2010

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Yes, but those episodes looked pretty horrible, too. I dunno, really just not sold on the art style and I wish it would stop rearing its malformed, hideous head.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.
I loved this episode and the animation style was great, but I do think the departure from canon was a bit extreme here.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Episode owned, animation owned, goofy faces were hilarious, and also owned.

This emoticon is ridiculously overused, but appropriate here: gently caress all the haters. This poo poo owned. :colbert:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Naruto vs. Sasuke:

Sasuke vs. Orochimaru:

All from the same animation director. 167 doesn't look much uglier/goofier than these two episodes under this level of scrutiny.

Hey, look! It's my second and third favorite episodes of the show!

Exquisite Dead Guy
Oct 27, 2007

Harettazetta posted:

Yes, but those episodes looked pretty horrible, too.

Then in my opinion you have bad taste in animation. Watch old Loony Toons shorts and you'll see the same sort of distortion and warping for the sake of being more expressive. I personally think it beats the stagnant, flat, dull anime norm.

I'm an animation fan first, an "anime" fan (the good stuff, anyway) second, and a Naruto fan third. I don't care if it looked a bit silly, I had a smile on my face throughout. As opposed to my usual "This is boring. Why am I even watching Naruto anymore?"

PieThief
Apr 9, 2009
Yer mother'sh a whore, Trebek!
Please excuse the foolish question but where are you guys watching it? :confused:

I usualy watch it on hulu and its a week late but i'm dieing to see this stuff when you guys are.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Naruto vs. Sasuke:

Sasuke vs. Orochimaru:

Uhhh none of those are anywhere near as bad as this:

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I'm not going to sit and argue the finer points of animation in a thread devoted to a goddamn children's show about kid ninjas, but this last episode looked like poo poo. The other two Sasuke episodes which had this animation style looked okay when in motion, but this latest one looked like crap both in still shots and in motion. Everyone I was watching the show with groaned a minute into the episode and it just got worse from there.

I don't mind them padding out the manga. Last week's episode turned out great and almost none of that was from the manga. However, basically nothing that happened this week made any sense in the context of how Pain is supposed to work. This is really terrible, because the manga version of this fight is actually really well paced (Pain basically tries one push and one pull and then starts running away while Naruto just tears everything up). There was no reason to introduce the water and all that other crap. There was no reason to show Pain suddenly emoting with his face like he is trying to pass a giant brick turd (I'm fine with Nagato looking pained, but the actual bodies don't really show exertion). It was just really inconsistent.

Mide
Jun 2, 2009
The emotion shown by Tendo Pain was by far the best piece of artwork in the entire series. You can literally feel the expression and it completely draws you in.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

AshB posted:

Well to be fair they are moving much faster this time.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
It's like they were moving so fast the artist tried to draw a vague resembling figure as fast as he could just to portray it!

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

AshB posted:

hahahahahaha, I love those images

Raymondo Person
Jun 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Then in my opinion you have bad taste in animation. Watch old Loony Toons shorts and you'll see the same sort of distortion and warping for the sake of being more expressive. I personally think it beats the stagnant, flat, dull anime norm.

I'm an animation fan first, an "anime" fan (the good stuff, anyway) second, and a Naruto fan third. I don't care if it looked a bit silly, I had a smile on my face throughout. As opposed to my usual "This is boring. Why am I even watching Naruto anymore?"
Chuck Jones was clearly a hack:

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL

PieThief posted:

Please excuse the foolish question but where are you guys watching it? :confused:

I usualy watch it on hulu and its a week late but i'm dieing to see this stuff when you guys are.

I don't know about anyone else, but I watch it on crunchyroll.

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.

PieThief posted:

You can find it on narutoget.com but it's also on plain old, straight-up YouTube in HD

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Someone make a gif with the pounding scene with "stop posting" flashing every time pain gets nailed.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I really really wanted Pain to make accordion noises when he got up from being pounded into the ground. :3:

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
People are posting more about this single episode than any previous. I would consider the animation a resounding success for this reason if nothing else. Rest assured, I won't forget this episode anytime soon, even if they change directors again.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
This Episode and the episode before this reminded me all over again why I fell in love with Naruto all those years ago, but it is also exactly why I stopped watching it.

The marvelous character development, the marvelous fighting, the AMAZING (gently caress the haters) animation, this is why I once loved loved Naruto, Kick rear end ninja fighting with heart-break as gently caress drama and everyone gets a chance to shine, and once the show devolved into the filler (and then lost it's way in shippuden last I bothered to watch) once it became stale and repetitive and, worse yet, about Sasuke, I just couldn't build up an interest any more.

But this season in particular has returned to me some of the same feeling I got when I first started watching the show. and for that, I'm happy and I hope the animation team who worked on this get every medal under the sun, This is astounding animation and it's exactly why I love the art as I do when it's done right.

Brilliant, Kick rear end, and really really exciting, I love this episode to death.

Oh and I want at least 300% more Rock Lee in the future, there is never enough of that guy.

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom
Man, Pain had a silly looking face for about a second and a half, gently caress this episode.

This poo poo was biblical. How can you even compare the quality of the average episode to this one? People actually looked like they were living bodies moving in 3 dimensional space. I'd take the distortion of this episode any day over flat, lifeless faces with their cock-eyed stare out into nothingness.

I agree completely that this is the kind of stuff that got me into the series in the first place. Yeah, maybe it's a bit exaggerated and over the top, but that's what you get with a nuclear powered demon and the leader of about the strongest ninja group in the world. These are my favorite kinds episodes because poo poo happens in them. Even if some of it is filler it's filler that's fun to watch.

The original Naurto (before the filler orgy) seemed to have an animation style kind of half way between what Shippuuden normally has and 167. It wasn't spectacular, but people didn't constantly look like disinterested robots and motion/fights were generally pretty decent. I think what makes 167 seem so out of place is we've kinda become used to the garbage quality that Shippuuden normally is so it's a huge jolt when something like this comes along. It wasn't that much of a jump between, say, 29 and 30 of Naruto.

I guess I'm more of a nerd over animation itself too, but I just really don't see anything in this episode worth complaining about.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
I reiterate - great episode. Silly art. If anything, though, I was hoping that Naruto actually would rip off the seal, because then he might actually become a more dynamic character.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I like these fast-paced episodes too, but the Naruto vs. Sasuke fight at least made the characters look like some semblance of human beings rather than blobs of liquid. This episode's art was pretty atrocious and I don't really see why someone would defend that. The animation was great, yup, but the art is perfectly sensible to complain about.

AshB fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 4, 2010

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

It's not as though it's an unusually badly drawn episode in an otherwise solid show. I'm not going to complain about a byproduct of the fluid animation when it could have, and has been, a hell of a lot worse.

Insy
Jul 3, 2002
#crackhouse superstar
I was as surprised as anyone when I saw Pain's face become all exaggerated and distorted more than once, but even when I watch it again it feels exactly like what is needed for this super-high pace action scene. Anything slower would've been just like when they cut to Sakura.

I also liked how Pain demonstrates that he doesn't only have the capability to use the single jutsu-type through his paths. If you weren't paying attention, Pain was also controlling the rain http://www.onemanga.com/Naruto/368/05/ and casting wind jutsu (when he was young) http://www.onemanga.com/Naruto/373/12/. He controlled the rain using Tendo, so there's no reason to assume he couldn't summon water too. He also does all the day to day operations of Akatsuki as Tendo Pain, including summoning that giant statue for storing bijuu.

For his exaggerated movements and speed (basically flying at low altitudes, running so fast that his legs road-runner out), he's been shown to be able to cast body-moving push/pull jutsu for extended periods, such as when he flew himself way above the village.

The only thing anyone should be complaining about with this filler is 5 seconds worth of exaggerated movements that totally fit the mood and that Tendo is more resilient than we supposed. Being smashed into the ground (with rasengans, not a rock) defeated one path of pain, but there's nothing saying this one doesn't have more chakra built up so it can withstand more hits; he never even broke the connection with Tendo. I'm just speculating, but there's usually a reasonable explanation in the Narutoverse for the sort of stuff we see in filler, even the weirder fillers.

Insy fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 4, 2010

Raymondo Person
Jun 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

AshB posted:

I like these fast-paced episodes too, but the Naruto vs. Sasuke fight at least made the characters look like some semblance of human beings rather than blobs of liquid. This episode's art was pretty atrocious and I don't really see why someone would defend that. The animation was great, yup, but the art is perfectly sensible to complain about.
They only looked like "blobs of liquid" for maybe one or two scenes that made up about five seconds tops, judging the entire episode based on that is just silly.

It wasn't completely flawless and some bits are certainly open to criticism, but actually viewing it as a particularly terrible episode in an otherwise visually satisfying show pretty much shows that you've gone out of your way to train yourself to think that powerpoint slideshows constitute good enough animation. There's no way you can initially go from watching a well made Western cartoon or a particularly impressive Eastern one to a generic Naruto episode and think "yep, this is drat fine animation and doesn't look cheap in the least".

Raymondo Person fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jul 4, 2010

ipokesnails
May 28, 2007

Maybe Pain learned to be so flexible during his speedskating lessons.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

Harettazetta posted:

I reiterate - great episode. Silly art. If anything, though, I was hoping that Naruto actually would rip off the seal, because then he might actually become a more dynamic character.
I'm pretty surehe would've just become the physical manifestation of the nine-tails and been lost as an individual in the process.The way they appear to be playing it out will probably be much better for character development.

Burning Sensation
Sep 2, 2006

Apropos of nothing.
I liked it.

Also:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Burning Sensation posted:

I liked it.

Also:

Not enough DO YOU HATE ME :geno:

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Burning Sensation posted:

I liked it.

Also:

drat pain is a resilient gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Anyone who draws Road Runner legs outside of the 70's is retarded. It'd be different if it was used for comedic purposes like Kung Fu Hustle, but this is supposed to be an intense battle scene punctuated by Naruto bleeding evil out of his stomach. It doesn't fit and was a terrible choice. I'm disappointed since I was looking forward to seeing this fight animated for years.

• Locked thread