Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
How was the recent six-tails filler arc?

I skipped it and was wondering whether or not I should go back and give it a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I bought the first Ninja Storm game but even with it's fantastic animation it was pretty terrible thanks to a hellishly tedious single-player campaign that you had to do to get the rest of the characters and the lack of online multi-player.

I'm looking forward to the sequel but I'm going hold off buying it until I read some reviews to see if they addressed the horrible campaign portion.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Since we're going into filler I thought I'd ask are any of the Naruto movies any good? I've never bothered to watch any of them because I was under the impression that they weren't canon and of course all of the non canon Naruto I've experienced was terrible.

But are there ones I should be checking out?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Well, I'm thinking about reading ahead in the Manga. Without spoilers, is there anything really interesting coming up immediately that I should wait to see animated?

Unlike, I think, a lot of people I've never really been able to get into the Manga of any of these shows. The panel reading direction always throws me off and it just ends up feeling like I'm reading an extended written spoiler version of the show. But I don't have anything better to do and I thought I saw it mentioned in a few places that the story isn't very good post-Pain for a long time so I might as well.

Can someone, without actually spoiling anything, tell me how good the next arcs are? If they're worth waiting to see animated etc. How they stack up to previous arcs and the like?

Off the top of my head the only thing that I'd be worried about spoiling myself on by reading the Manga is the (and I'm not even if this has happened yet) prospect of Sasuke walking in to Konoha and confronting everyone and getting some pay back for the despicable things that were done to his brother/clan. He's got a legitimate beef and I'm interested to see how that's resolved.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 27, 2010

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Hmm, sounds like I should just find something else to occupy my time with until some new episodes come out then.

I really haven't watched any of the new shows that came out in the past few years. Maybe I'll head over to the recommendations thread and see if there's anything good that's come out over the last few seasons. Must be at least a few things.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
This has been bugging me. I'm trying to remember an episode I saw where Konohamaru and his crew each do kind of like an individual introduction pose and say a few lines about what great ninja they are. I wish I could remember more but that's it. I can't even remember if it was from part 1 or 2. Anyway, anyone know which episode I'm talking about?

If I could find a list of all the episodes where Konohamaru appeared I could probably track it down that way as well.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Dexo posted:

If I ever need to find something from a specific Episode or chapter for some reason I go here

http://leafninja.com/anime-1.php

This helped me find it. Thanks!

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I like Tenten and wish she had more depth and got more face time. I like her Ultimate Arsenal "Everything-but-the-kitchen-sink" fighting style. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure, her and Shino are only ones out of all the major teams that never got any kind of a flashback origin story. Even Ino had one that she shared with Sakura. I wish Kishimoto would remedy that but he probably never will since if he were going to he'd have done it in part 1. It's possible there was some stuff they made up in the filler but I watched maybe 4-5 episodes of the part 1 filler and skipped a lot of the part II filler as well (3 tails, Bubble ninja, ) so I wouldn't know.

With the obvious exception of Shikamaru I actually find Team Guy to be more interesting than Team Asuma or Team Kurenai. Rock Lee is probably my favorite character.

And yeah I agree with everyone else here that seeing Naruto go through the Chunnin exams again would be funny. Obviously they wouldn't need to make it anywhere near as long as they original Chunnin arc but they could probably get a few more comedic episodes out of it. Even if they just did it as filler it'd be interesting to check out.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
How far ahead is the manga these days, anyway? Are we hitting filler territory because we've started to get too close, again? I just want to know if we should be expecting more filler past the next 3 or so episodes.

On another note, anyone else picking up Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 for PS3 or 360 tomorrow?

I've read they improved the story mode quite a bit removing a lot of frustrating parts from the first one and making it more RPGish. The combat is still pretty much the same with the single melee attack button, which as a fighting game fan, kind of irks me. I like the Clash of Ninja Revolution series combat system better as it's deeper and allows for more complexity and combos. If they ever combined the Clash of Ninja Revolution series combat system with the graphics and 3D free movement of the Storm series it would be incredibly awesome.

I'll still be picking this up though as it just looks far too amazing not to get.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 19, 2010

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yeah, they really jumped right into some great fights this arc. I haven't read the Manga so this is all new to me and it's pretty amazing. Only problem, the better the show is, the bigger the next episode blue balls are. And I really, really hate next episode blue balls. I have half a mind stay away from the show for a while so I can come back and marathon a bunch of episodes in a row. But it's so interesting right now I can't help but watch every week.

I just need to find some other Anime to watch. I was thinking about trying Bleach again. I watched the first 3-4 episodes once or twice and just couldn't get into it. But I always see it and One Piece being the main recommendations for Naruto fans. Couldn't get into One Piece either.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 19, 2011

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Thanks for the recommendations. I've never heard of Fairy Tail but it looks like it could be interesting so I'll give it a shot.

I did ask about History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi in their thread once. I was looking for something like Hajime No Ippo(another one of my favorite shows). But another poster didn't seem to think they were all that comparable. So I never tried watching it. I'll give it another look.

I think I got to the end of the first boss fight in One Piece. I think the boss was a Clown Pirate or something. It was pretty good, I probably could've kept going. Luffy was very :3: with the whole loyalty and power of friendship stuff. But, I don't actually mind that. So I think I might give that another shot too.

There are still really good shows I have left on my "To Watch" list. Stuff like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, 12 Kingdoms, Akagi, Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, Eve No Jikan, East of Eden, Kara no Kyoukai, Hellsing Ultimate, just to name a few. I just have to motivate myself to watch them instead of trying to replace Naruto. It's weird in other threads people talk so bad about this show. And say stuff like "Yeah, I liked Naruto, before I had standards." But I really like it, personally.

I'm thinking of giving Hunter x Hunter another try since I heard it was a good forerunner to Naruto. And there's some recent shows like High School of the Dead and Shiki that I was interested in checking out as well. But if you guys know of any other Naruto clones I'd love to take a look at those as well.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 21, 2011

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yeah, this fight looks like it's going to be awesome! I wonder if it'll last more than one episode?

Also not having read the manga, I was like "what the gently caress is that?"Sharingarm?, at the end there.

(Wasn't sure if needed to spoiler this or not, so I guess I will to be on the safe side). Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how this turns out. I don't expect Sasuke to win by himself but Madara might help him. Danzo is pretty much the one guy left who Sasuke would reasonably want to kill. No one else is really responsible for the Uchiha massacre. So it'll be interesting to see what his plans are if or when he get's his revenge.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 22, 2011

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

CrazyLittle posted:

( they're getting close to catching up )

Really? poo poo. I guess that means we can expect more obnoxiously bad filler in the near future? And probably a lot of it, too? poo poo.

Slave posted:

I don't quite see how in her instant transition from creepy Sasuke obsessed stalker to murderous brooding nutcase that Sakura has managed to convince herself she has a hope in hell of killing the guy.

Yeah, that was a little weird. She hasn't really gotten all that much stronger since her Sasori fight has she? I don't think we've seen much from her since then, anyway. Maybe she has some new tricks up her sleeve. But at this point she seems several levels below Sasuke.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 22, 2011

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yeah, that was really very poignant. Much more than I expected. This is show has always done a great job at that.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Well that was an annoying episode. I knew as soon as she started the inner monologue while she was running the entire episode was about to be wasted on flashbacks. Ugh.

I'm assuming Sakura's little defection at the end there is some kind of ploy to either detain or in some other way undermine Sasuke's plans because even she can't be pathetic enough to sell out her village and all her friends for a middle-school crush. Then again this is Sakura we're talking about.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 24, 2011

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I remember how I felt after watching the episodes where Madara lays out for Saskue Itachi's real motivations. I was seething and absolutely furious at Danzo and the Elders. They were a bunch of smug machiavellian douche bags and I was hoping Saskue would march into Konoha and reveal the truth about them to everyone.

Strangely, I didn't find Danzo's death all that satifsying on the revenge front. In fact I thought it was pretty poignant. He was clearly misguided but his intentions were mostly altruistic.

One thing I think is really interesting is how Pain, Madara, and Danzo, who are all villain characters, all have these plans to bring peace to the Ninja World. It's an interesting dyanmic twist on typical villains and makes them seem much more like real characters as opposed to just foils for the protagonist. A high point in the series was Naruto and Pain's philosphical debate on how to stop the cycle of violence, hatred, and revenge, and achieve real, lasting peace. I nearly teared up when Naruto was talking to Pain about the book Pain inspired Jiraiya to write.

Anyway, getting back to Saskue, after nearly killing Karin he seems like an even bigger rear end in a top hat than ever before. He's always been a little poo poo, gifted among his peers but drivin not just by revenge but also jealousy because he was never able to get anywhere near his brothers truly elite genius. Even now he's just proving how he's not half the man Itachi was.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Kingtheninja posted:

Next week looks a little better though.

Yeah, I'm excited. I've been wondering what would happen in a Saskue vs. Kakashi fight.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yeah, it had some flashbacks but it was much better than last week and at least we got some Kakashi vs. Saskue. I fist pumped at the ending. Brutal cliffhanger, though. Hope this actually plays out a bit instead of just one side retreating right away. Can't wait until next week!

"Ready to GET IT ON!"

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
^^^

Seems you're not alone in thinking that. This thread doesn't get a lot of traffic so I sometimes head over to NarutoForums after an episode. That's where I recently came across the below. I didn't even know anyone made stuff like this. It's fan made so it's not quite up to par with what we usually see obviously but it does get your point across about missing a great opportunity for a larger Saskue/Kakashi fight.

What do you guys think?

NarutoForums posted:

I do have to say, I enjoyed the fan animation of Sasuke vs Kakashi more than this. If the anime team did things like this then they'd be able to stretch out the episode in more ways than flashbacks, especially since the filler fight in this episode lasted ten seconds.

For those who haven't seen it I recommend watching it. Also seeing how it can't spoil anything anymore it's safe to post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DBP7GnHooY

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 5, 2011

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yeah, it's now really messing with my enjoyment of the actual canon material. I was pretty much there before but I now firmly support filler arcs over filler mixed in with canon stuff. I can always (and most of the time do) just skip filler arcs and find something else to do on Thursdays until they're over. But when they mix filler in with the canon material you really don't have much choice except to just sit there and take it.

I haven't read the manga so I don't know how close we are to catching up, but if they feel the need to put more distance between the show and the manga I'd much prefer another filler arc than what we're getting now. This is just too much.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
^^^Yeah, I feel your frustration.

I felt exhausted over the last few episodes, hoping and straining to squeeze as much actual canon content, out of each episode, as possible. It was like pulling teeth.

And even never having read the manga, I KNEW that in the end nothing was really going to come of the Naruto/Sasuke confrontation because Madara was going to show up and portal Sasuke out right when things were about to actually get interesting. Saw that poo poo coming a mile away.

We went through all that flashback filler just to get to what amounts to a brief conversation that we've already heard before.

Oh well. It is what it is, I guess. It's frustrating as poo poo, but I'm not going to dwell too much on it as there's really nothing to be done. I'd say I'll lay off for a while and come back after a few episodes have piled up but I probably won't have the willpower not to watch next Thursday.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Just out of curiosity has the last coffin member been revealed in the manga yet?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
The last episode I watched was the one where they were fighting on the beach against those two brothers who had gained power after being swallowed by the 9-tails. I think the last part I actually really got into was Sasuke vs Danzo and Kakashi on the bridge. I wasn't really finding the Ninja War to be all that interesting. Kabuto seems ridiculously overpowered now that he can Edo Tensei nearly every great ninja that ever lived as long as he has their body. It just got to the point where I couldn't tell what was filler and what was canon so I figured I'd wait for some episodes to pile up and then go back and marathon them once I sorted out what was worth watching.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yeah, it doesn't really bother me that much or anything, it was just something I noticed that seemed a little over the top. And I understand they pretty much had to do something like that in order to give the combined Ninja army something to fight against beyond just clones of Zetsu.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Did all those fights/dead characters happen/come back during the Ninja War in the manga? I could never really tell while I was watching it and I'm not a manga reader.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Jeez, I was browsing around Naruto websites when I came across the episode schedule and realized I haven't watched the show in almost 100 episodes.

Is this accurate? If so I only have about 44 canon episodes saved up. Ugh.

It sounds like a big arc is just starting, too. Maybe I should just find something else to watch for a while. I haven't watched any other anime in forever. Any new stuff out that's good? I heard about a show called Psycho-Pass and another called Attack on Titan that are supposed to be good. I also have some Hunter x Hunter episodes saved up. I think I have everything from the Family Arc to the Greed Island arc to watch.

What are you guys watching lately to pass the time?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 2, 2013

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
drat, I was just about to do a lazy Saturday marathon catch up having left off at about episode 426, when I realized we were still in filler at episode 453. Anyone watch the recent Tsunade Dream World Arc that just ended? I read a little bit of it and it sounded like it might've been halfway decent.

I need to find some other anime to watch. A friend recommended the following:

One Punch Man
Tokyo Ghoul
Blue Exorcist
7 Deadly Sins
Gangsta

These any good?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Cool thanks, guys

Also, I just wanted to say that I agree with a lot of other folks that the Pain arc feels like the best natural ending to the show for a lot of reasons: We get what is probably the definitive discussion on one of the major themes in the show; how to avoid conflict given individual human being's inability to understand one another. Naruto and Pain's debate on this, both on the battlefield and in the cave, is for me, some of the best writing on the show. We get the student succeeding the master. And we finally get the town accepting Naruto. When it all came together like that it really felt like the perfect ending.

• Locked thread