Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Pyrotoad posted:

:3:

I'm wondering how/if this spinoff is going to bring the rest of the Akatsuki in; they've had Deidara and Tobi show up once.

The way they handled it in the manga was pretty perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Triple Elation posted:

Blame the filler. That's where the problem starts and ends IMO. You can only get so much enjoyment out of a story that is going nowhere by definition.

I'll allow myself to say the following, because "don't worry it gets better" is not much of a spoiler: I also follow the manga and the story actually gets to a pretty decent point, not long from now even (canon-wise). It's just that the place where the anime is at right now was kind of a low point that stretched on too long to begin with, and with the anime taking extra time to dwell on it, well.

5 years from now when new Anime fans get to marathon through the anime adaptation- skipping right over the ungodly amounts of filler, without all the week-long-waits and golden weeks and whatnot- I have a feeling they're going to have a much better experience than we did. Granted, it's not the same without having a week every time to get excited about what happens next, but in this case, all things considered, they'll really be better off.

I felt this way, then I tried watching some anime episodes to see my favorite manga scenes animated, and it's just so lazy.

Naruto/Bee versus Pain/Itatchi should've been way more interesting than it was - but it was extremely lazy, no reactions from the human characters to being kicked, fighting tirelessly, etc. It's like all four were zombies.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

ArcaneTree posted:

What the hell, I thought you were joking but there IS a Rock Lee show.

I just watched a randomly picked episode, it was actually okay. This is the one I watched.

It's honestly one of my favorite anime series. I don't even want to spoil the in jokes.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Yeah, play the game. My only suggestion is to get Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 and play that first if you have a console. If you don't, YouTube all of the boss fights.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

IUG posted:

So one of my friends on Facebook says that the Magna was ending soon. As someone who gave up on the show during the ninja war thing, is it worth catching up if there's an end in sight?

Play the video games instead.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I finished season one.

- Sakura still sucks
- Pervy Sage is the god drat best
- Gaara is up there too
- I really enjoyed the like eight episodes of fights in a row, seeing secondary characters be badass was awesome
- Rock Lee is literally Goku
- Naruto and Hinati young love is so precious awwwww. I hope she nuts up and tells him, he's way too dense to ever get it himself

What do you define as the end of season one? Valley of the End?

Season One has the best fights. It's honestly great stuff.

BTW, if you play video games, starting from here you can just switch over to the games for a not-really-arguably better experience. Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 starts after Valley of the End, followed by Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 Full Burst, and 4 later this year.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Yeah, I'm enjoying it so far. Besides Sakura my only real gripe is that fact that they are god drat ninjas who don't kill. I can see Naruto not wanting to kill people it's kind of his thing to be a good perosn, but god drat Sasuke and Sakura don't kill people either, and anytime any of them see people die/talk about people dying even people who aren't their allies they get all pussified about it. Christ. YOU'RE NINJAS STAB A MOTHER FUCKER ALREADY

Generally the idea, in the anime at least, is that there are more adventures you don't see, and the filler and movies are those gaps. There's killing in the movies at least.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Naruto (& Shippuden) would make for an excellent series if they revised it down to between 50-100 episodes at the very max. Then it would be worth sharing with people.

At the beginning of the series, when I was still excited about the show and would marathon episodes, I felt it gave off a little "Harry Potter/X-Men with Ninjas" vibe. You had your Voldemort/snake villain and your Dumbledore and each clan had its own special powers like they were mutants or whatever. It was fun and had some good tense moments.

Then they felt the need to stretch it out past its breaking point with filler and the whole thing lost momentum. You can't even "skip" the filler in the later Shippuden episodes because they pepper in about 2-3 minutes of canon material within each show (which is then largely recaps and filler otherwise).

Such a shame... at least the Ninja Storm games by CyberConnect2 are great.

Someone on Reddit made a "Naruto Kai." Haven't tried them yet, but they have a lot of praise.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Holy poo poo so much action.

I forgot to mention in my last post but drunk Rock Lee was ahahahahahaha. Also, did sand ninja girl summon an otter with a flying sword?

- THEY ARE ALIVE!!!!!!!!
- Sasuke trying to kill Naruto was intense
- I was really pissed that he admitted to being his best friend until that reveal
- Sasuke is still a loving tool
- Kimmaroo just dying like that was dumb
- Each time the fox comes out Naruto gets more fox like
- I hope he goes full on fox like Gaara did
- sand ninja girl and shikamaru gonna make the babies CALLING IT NOW

I love this recap.

And I think you mean a weasel with a sickle. I Googled it to make sure, and yes, apparently the Naruto technique is called the Sickle Weasel Technique. http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Sickle_Weasel_Technique

(From folklore: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamaitachi)

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Hulu also has all of Naruto!

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

IUG posted:

I assume the war ended with no major consequences to the major and minor characters? Or is that what is going to happen when whatever the filler ends? (I haven't watched the show in over a year, as soon as the war was boring me.)

Some people died, some more major than others.

When the filler ends it'll go back into it, but no one knows if it'll go straight through to the finale.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

That first spoiler of yours, regarding Orochimaro, takes place in Ultimate Ninja Storm 2. Playing 4 will spoil quite a bit.

2 ends with a "gravity guy"
3 ends with an bit of Eye Bullshit
4 finished everything and technically ends on the first episode of Botuto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

No, she just delivered her.

• Locked thread