Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Welcome to the 5th discussion thread of Naruto Shippuuden, the ongoing giant shonen show about decidedly un-ninjalike ninjas.

Last Thread on Naruto Shippuuden

- Naruto... killed Kakuzu and since then has done close to nothing for over a year of air time. Now, though, Pain of the Akatsuki organization has set his sights on capturing him. Is Naruto a bad enough dude to save himself from ninjas? Watch out, they got Bubbles :ohdear:

- Sasuke... betrayed Orochimaru and then ran around hating everyone and everything. After finding out that his big brother Itachi sacrificed himself for Konoha village's and Sasuke's sake, he made the perfectly rational decision to destroy Konoha as revenge for Itachi. He also got his head lariated off by a rapping swordsman.

Canon/Filler watch

We are currently on CONAN material.

Episode Guide

Episodes 1-32: Gaara rescue arc
Episodes 33-53: Sai/Find Sasuke arc
Episodes 54-71: Sora filler arc
Episodes 72-89: Hidan&Kakuzu arc
Episodes 90-112: Three-tails filler arc
Episodes 113-114: Sasuke vs Orochimaru
Episodes 115-118: Formation of Sasuke's posse
Episodes 119-120: Kakashi Gaiden
Episodes 121-125: Sasuke vs Deidara/Konoha search team moving out
Episode 126: Jiraiya's reappearance, which ties into...
Episodes 127-128: Jiraiya backstory, which ties into...
Episodes 129-133: Jiraiya vs Pain
Episode 134: Itachi's invitation
Episodes 135-138: Sasuke vs Itachi
Episode 139-141: Uchiha plot revelations
Episodes 142-143: Sasuke vs Eight-tails :siren: If you're going to watch one episode from this series, make it 143 :siren:
Episodes 144-151: Six-tails filler arc

152 is where this thread begins.

I want to jump to the manga and find out how the story continues! :f5:

The chapter that continues from the end of the current latest episode is 478

Past Threads
-Naruto Anime thread 1 (Archived)
-Naruto Anime thread 2 (Archived)
-Naruto Anime thread 3 (Archived)
-Naruto Anime thread 4 (Archived)
-Naruto Shippuuden Anime thread 1 (Archived)
-Naruto Shippuuden Anime thread 2 (Archived)
-Naruto Shippuuden Anime thread 3 (Archived)
-Naruto Shippuuden Anime thread 4

Useful Info Sites
-LeafNinja.com
-Naruto Wikipedia entry

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Popehoist posted:

Which episodes are Sasuke VS Itachi? I caught up on the manga recently and kinda wanna see that fight animated.

135-138. Knew I forgot something important from the OP.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Added a more detailed breakdown of the 113-141 season of the OP since it gets a lot of questions asked about and there are a lot of awesome parts in there.

As for download links, Crunchyroll picked up the series, which means you have to be a member to legally watch the subbed show on the week when it airs. Each episode becomes free to watch after the one week delay, though.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Scalp Fancy posted:

I know im a little late to the party, but I just watched the hour long special, and I had a really good laugh when they killed that guy from the filler. They made a point to end the filler with the standard generic happy ending, then start back up with him dead. That was totally fantastic.

Click here for the full 848x480 image.

I think you missed the last 5 minutes of the filler :v:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

I think they're assuming everyone reads the manga with the new OPs. It's great, though. New ED is also funny.

Not much else to say, training episodes aren't that engaging.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Calling out Neji not even getting into filler arcs, :laffo:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Wompa164 posted:

gently caress, I can't remember the last time I was this excited for Naruto.

Can anyone tell me approximately where the anime currently is in relation to the manga? Just an estimation will do, I don't think I can wait another 4-6 weeks to see how this battle unfolds, I want to read it all NOW.

No one ever reads the OP, I update that link weekly :eng99: I would recommend waiting it out though since it's turning out great animated so far.

I liked the little added gag of the Hyuuga cheating at cards in this episode. For some reason jutsu abuse outside of combat always amuses me.

Movie Edit: This one has the most incomprehensible plot yet and villains straight out of Tetsuya Nomura's sketchbook. :wtf: There are some parts that are worth watching though:

- Neji/Lee tag team jutsu
- Naruto/Gaara fight
- Rasengan flavor of the movie: Rasenshuriken of TTGL proportions

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 23, 2010

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Kingtheninja posted:

New episode is out. More fun stuff, I did a little eye rolling when they made a big deal out of sakura using triage to take command of things at the hospital. You mean to tell me a doctor, or any other medical ninja at the hospital didn't know about triage? pfft.

The only way to make Sakura look remotely competent is to make other people criminally incompetent, of course.

Also:

:downs:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

I guess we know one of the Fire Country's top exports now :v:

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Why would you spoiler a namechange, or if there is reason for it to be spoiled, expect it to get into plain view in the topic title?

Actually I would do that one if OPs could edit the topic title, which I could have sworn was possible but I guess my memory must have failed me.

boy is that going to make the topic look silly when we head into fillerland :v:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

I consider this kind of extended material to be an improvement on the manga. See also: Sasuke vs. Orochimaru, Jiraiya Gaiden.

Plus the alternative is that they catch up faster and then we will have a filler arc about the three and a half tails beast.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Kingtheninja posted:

Or devil wig.

I...I had finally forgotten that... :negative:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Glitch posted:

Is the anime really in danger of catching up already?

It's less that and more the fact that manga isn't showing any signs of ending soon.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Teek posted:

FYI the head is based on Enma, the ruler of the underworld, who is said to grab people by the tongue and judge their honesty.

Okay, that actually makes sense now with that background info. I was wondering why people's souls were suddenly depicted as pink and fleshy :downs:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

This week we get some expanded fight scenes a-:tviv:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Crunkjuice posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck, this is gonna be awesome. I wish they expanded on some other fights, like shino's and kibas. They better take their sweet rear end time on this next fight.

Funnily enough they DID expand on those :v: The Shino "fight" in the manga was literally just one page of the Aburames and Konan staring down each other.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Watching Naruto absolutely wreck Pain is so much fun.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Anime discussion pretty much anywhere else is insufferable. Wah it doesn't have a movie budget/follow manga panel by panel/support my favorite shipping pairing

This episode had too much play by play for my tastes but otherwise, good stuff. Looking forward to next week.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Fantastic episode, this is the best arc. I still love the petrified frog solution, it just makes so much sense.

Also fuckin' :lol: at the omake/golden. Next week's going to be awesome.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

This episode was far better than I could have possibly expected. :smith:

... :smith:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Well that was pretty much the raddest episode, despite the really goofy animation for the fighting in the first half of the episode making it impossible to take seriously. Some really :byodood: Pain faces in there.

I just about lost it with whack-a-Pain followed by a deadpan "Do you hate me?" from Pain head buried in the ground

The new ED though, :ughh:. This is at least the third or fourth time they've used Sakura walking in the sand, they could at least pretend to have some new ideas.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

:gonk:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Crossposting this from the manga thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPuu9RMsa1Y

Still can't stop laughing at "Do you hate me?"

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Harettazetta posted:

As an anime-only viewer, you have just made me very happy. Oh so happy. :suicide:

We're only 60 chapters behind the manga(!) and it's not all Sasuke show, so don't despair.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Burning Sensation posted:

I liked it.

Also:

Not enough DO YOU HATE ME :geno:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

AshB posted:

Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. Either read One Piece and then say that, or shut up.

In a discussion about anime series length :ironicat:

It's much faster to blaze through archives of a manga than to watch 500 episodes, you know. 500 episodes would be a really hard sell for a new watcher even for the best series of all time ever.

Also why are we talking about One Piece :negative:

quote:

Is there a Shippuden episode this week?

Pretty sure there is, we just had a break week.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Take the :circlefap: to the One Piece thread.

quote:

As for Naruto itself: Will the same guy that did episode 167 be doing the next episode, or was it just a once off thing? I really hope to see more from the guy, especially if they keep adding filler of the same caliber to the fight.

Just a once-off thing for now.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Hey, it's the only "5 seconds is actually a minute" sequence in anime that doesn't look completely retarded. Enjoyed the episode, though the last episode's improvised parts having a major spike in Pain's damage resistance is still pretty funny.

EDIT:

Mufreesboro posted:

Also, apparently the next episode has been leaked. Though not subbed yet.

How do you leak an episode :psyduck: I understand scanlations but how does this work

Also, 170-171 will apparently be a double episode that is a filler taking place before the timeskip, with the Pain Arc resuming after that week. The title is "Big Adventure! Search for the Fourth Hokage's Legacy". Kinda curious.

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 15, 2010

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

I enjoyed the throwback to the old days in 170-171, music and all.

I had forgotten Naruto Rendan ever existed. Sweet technique.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

The :unsmith:est episode.

Apparently the in thing to do now is pre-timeskip filler miniarcs. Can't be worse than filler set in the present.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

-Blackadder- posted:

Since we're going into filler I thought I'd ask are any of the Naruto movies any good? I've never bothered to watch any of them because I was under the impression that they weren't canon and of course all of the non canon Naruto I've experienced was terrible.

But are there ones I should be checking out?

The Shippuuden movies I've seen are a mix of 10 minutes of :hellyeah: fighting and an hour of :bang: plot and villains with completely retarded abilities.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

The last five minutes of this week's episode (178) are canon material.

Right back to filler next week, though. But if you're avoiding filler there are a few plot-important lines of dialogue in this episode.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

-Blackadder- posted:

Can someone, without actually spoiling anything, tell me how the good the next arcs are? If they're worth waiting to be animated etc. How they stack up to previous arcs and the like?

The biggest deal about the immediate future canon is a ton of fights that will undoubtedly be much better animated for obvious reasons. Some of them are also confusing to read, in fact I'm looking forward to finally seeing what the hell is happening in a certain panel :v:

There are some reveals and :catdrugs: plot twists along the way, but as of now the manga is just finishing buildup for the endgame. By catching up you'll just be in a spot where there's not even much to speculate because a wrap-up miniarc just ended and the next chapter that presumably starts up the next arc is in two weeks. Unless you're really itching to know what happens next I'd recommend just going with the show for now.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Having a vital canon plot point in an episode that had an entirely filler preview and episode title is psyduck-worthy.

Looks like they'll be retreading the Land of Waves in the filler part. Hopefully no more than that. Though I must say the addition of Kakashiface made the classroom scenes worth it. :kakashi:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Mr. Crow posted:

Care to spoiler the plot point for those of us who don't give a poo poo to watch filler?

Okay, the canon points that have been injected into the filler episodes so far are:

- Madara intends to have a new pawn to sync to the giant Akatsuki death machine now that Pain is dead, implying using Sasuke for this purpose.
- Kakashi was suggested for Hokage, but the Fire country's Daimyo selected Danzo to be the 6th Hokage instead.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

User0015 posted:

Where in the manga is it right now? I can't watch this anymore :(

Read the OP. :colbert:

Also yeah, I cannot legit think of where next week's filler even could fit in the continuity. This is approaching Bleach territory.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Kingtheninja posted:

Well the list of episodes on wikipedia only goes up to next week's, so we could be optimistic and say it'll be over after next week. We could, but we won't. Because we aren't optimistic :(

I finally lost all hope the moment I saw the words "Team Ten-Ten". :negative:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Pyrotoad posted:

Episode titles until the end of January.

194 "The Worst Three-Legged Race"
January 13, 2011

The Worst Show :negative:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

I thoroughly enjoyed Naruto's face getting mutilated for his stupidity. Way more satisfying animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

CubanMissile posted:

Did I miss Danzo being named Hokage? I wanted to see him become a ninja master through yelling.

Happened just before the filler break or during one of the first episodes of it where they put in those two minute canon segments.

• Locked thread