Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raymondo Person
Jun 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Gonna have to agree completely with Mr. Deathy. Haven't cared for this show since I stopped being 13 but I saw some Naruto fans bitch about this episode while posting screenshots and watched it immediately since I'm a huge animation nerd. Pretty much some of the best, most stylish I've seen in ages.

Anime is great! posted:

That last ep was really strange. I liked it sure, but it totally seemed like a different anime. You can really tell that there are multiple animation houses at work when you see something like this.
The one thing I really love about the Japanese animation industry is that they give individual key animators tons of freedom to show off their individual styles, so I never viewed that as a bad thing. Some of my favorite animes of all time are things like FLCL and Mind Game which focus on being expressive instead of perfectly on-model, something a lot of the best Western cartoons do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymondo Person
Jun 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Not In Charleston posted:

Then in my opinion you have bad taste in animation. Watch old Loony Toons shorts and you'll see the same sort of distortion and warping for the sake of being more expressive. I personally think it beats the stagnant, flat, dull anime norm.

I'm an animation fan first, an "anime" fan (the good stuff, anyway) second, and a Naruto fan third. I don't care if it looked a bit silly, I had a smile on my face throughout. As opposed to my usual "This is boring. Why am I even watching Naruto anymore?"
Chuck Jones was clearly a hack:

Raymondo Person
Jun 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh

AshB posted:

I like these fast-paced episodes too, but the Naruto vs. Sasuke fight at least made the characters look like some semblance of human beings rather than blobs of liquid. This episode's art was pretty atrocious and I don't really see why someone would defend that. The animation was great, yup, but the art is perfectly sensible to complain about.
They only looked like "blobs of liquid" for maybe one or two scenes that made up about five seconds tops, judging the entire episode based on that is just silly.

It wasn't completely flawless and some bits are certainly open to criticism, but actually viewing it as a particularly terrible episode in an otherwise visually satisfying show pretty much shows that you've gone out of your way to train yourself to think that powerpoint slideshows constitute good enough animation. There's no way you can initially go from watching a well made Western cartoon or a particularly impressive Eastern one to a generic Naruto episode and think "yep, this is drat fine animation and doesn't look cheap in the least".

Raymondo Person fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jul 4, 2010

Raymondo Person
Jun 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmX2a23PtXg If this show was always like this I'd watch it every week.

• Locked thread