Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pringleton posted:

I'm doing the opposite. I stopped watching the anime in favor of the manga I can't remember how many years ago (I think the first season of Shipuuden). But this filler arc covers stuff that was directly implied but never fleshed out in the manga. So even if it's not technically canon, it's easy to pretend that it is, and it's new material that takes place back when the series wasn't excruciating. I'm honestly looking forward to it.

I'm only picking the anime back up for this filler arc. Once it's over, I'm done with it, other than waiting till a couple specific fights get animated, and watching edited down clips on youtube.

Well, at least the filler as of late has mostly been just expanding on things that were mentioned in the canon story so that's not too bad though. It's still kind of unnecessary at this point seeing as the manga is over and there's no need to worry about catching up with it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain_duck posted:

The filler is still ongoing, but 404 was a tenten episode and looks like 405 will be as well. And this ep wasn't all that bad either, it had some great moments between tenten and gai.

Also man the pace of this arc has been like the same as the original chunin exam arc. It feels like there will need to be at least 10 more eps of this before we get back to canon.

This arc hasn't been terrible but is there a reason why they're suddenly going back to filler now? The manga is over so they don't have to worry about catching up anymore and they no longer have a movie to promote so why do this?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just in case anyone cares, the filler arc that's been going on in Shippuden finally ended and the show will be returning to the main plot next week.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Teek posted:

Point of fact, this arc proves to be one of the rare instances where filler content is then used later on in the manga. In this case, Raiga's swords are then used by one of the Swordsmen.

I think the concept of the Hidden Waterfall Village that Kakazu and Foo came from originated from an anime filler as well (specifically in one of the first OVA's made for the series).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 23, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Teek posted:

Waterfall existed before that point in the manga, but it was only ever seen in the anime.

It did? Must have forgotten about that, where was it first mentioned?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 24, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nevermind, seems like they'll be jumping right back into filler for a bit at least in the next episode. This one seems to be another Obito flashback dealing with the formation of Kakashi's old team

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain_duck posted:

Argh your right. So after one and a half episode of canon were right back into fillertown. They're really trying to stretch this out as much as possible.

I read the manga a bit again, and were halfway through chapter 666 of the manga. Yup halfway. Theres a couple of flashback panels in there, and those are being expanded into entire filler episodes.

The good news though, i doubt itll be much more then a couple of episodes of filler, and when thats done were really close to the Madara vs Gai battle

I can almost garuntee you we'll be getting some Gai-focused filler episodes at that point seeing as the manga does delve a bit into his backstory during it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

I just feel like watching the canon content drip out like this in-between long flashbacks of filler material drains all the tension and weight of major fight scenes. Every few weeks you have to think back and say, "Wait, what's going on? Where are we in this fight?" I didn't really feel anything from Guy's attack, especially knowing that it certainly wouldn't do anything to Madara.

This is a garbage show and I want it to be over now.

Unfortunately, the show is popular and they seem to want to drag it out as long as possible, hence the reason why we're still getting filler long after the manga is over.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to make a sequel series afterward without much involvement from its creator similar to what they did with Dragon Ball way back when. Granted, GT was terrible but I doubt that'd stop them from trying.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 31, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While a filler arc, today's episodes were actually kind of neat in that they revolved around Tenten being trapped in the world from the Road To Ninja movie, this time including alternate versions of Naruto/Menma and Sakura as well. Is this the first time one of the Naruto movies was actually referenced in the series?

We'll probably be getting these little dream episodes for a while at least, next up seems to be a Killer Bee focused arc.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 3, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain_duck posted:

In 473 They did it, they finally beat the rabbit lady

Were at chapter 689/700 of the manga now. So close to the ending. Next week looks canon to.

Hopefully at this point they'll just continue straight on through the Sasuke fight, after that they'll probably stop for a bit and adapt the light novels as was announced before finally finishing off Shippuden.

Not sure what they'll do after that though as, unless they adapt the Gaiden chapters, Boruto doesn't have nearly enough material yet to justify starting an anime adaption.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Allarion posted:

They're adapting the light novels

I know that, I was just guessing as to when they would be adapted (after the final Naruto vs Sasuke fight would be the most logical point as I believe most of them are set in the time between then and the last chapter of the manga).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The last fight between Naruto and Sasuke starts this week and from the looks of things we're pretty much done with filler now for the rest of the series, though they'll most likely start adapting the light novels as was announced prior to doing the actual finale (unless they're planning on doing them as OVAs or something).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Reinanigans posted:

Any idea if they're using the really good animator who did the Pain fight and the first Valley of the End fight?

As far as I know, yes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That was pretty well done, it lacked some of the spectacle of the first Valley of the End fight but was still good in it's own right (the hands of everyone he's met helping Naruto form the final Rasengan was kind of a nice touch). Hopefully they'll just do the light novel adaptions as OVAs rather than shoehorning them into the series (and if they do go this route I'm guessing we've got about 3 more episodes of Shippuden left at max, 2 at the least).

ed: Nope, looks like they're going to drag this show out for as long as possible. The light novel adaptions start this winter.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-08-02/naruto-epilogue-novels-get-tv-anime-this-winter/.104956

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 30, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'm impressed, 478 was not only genuinely good but it also managed to do in one episode what Kishimoto couldn't do in 700 chapters: give a believable reason why Naruto and Sasuke could be considered friends. I'm guessing at this point we've got about one or two more episodes worth of manga-related content before we start jumping into the light novel stuff.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flagrama posted:

Light novel is supposed to be its own series, isn't it? https://myanimelist.net/anime/33778/Konoha_Shinden_Yukemuri_Ninpouchou

Last I heard they were just going to be part of Shippuden, but I could have misunderstood (Though honestly I'd rather they just do it as seperate thing and let the main show run its course).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, the last couple episodes of Shippuden have actually been surprisingly good. Kind of wish they'd just let them stop while they're ahead rather than cramming in the light novel stuff (which starts with this week's episode apparently) but there you go.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 20, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well it's apparently been confirmed that a Boruto anime is going to happen, which means this series will be continuing on for at least another season. Also, how many light novels are left to go after the current Sasuke one wraps up?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

beuges posted:

My wife and i stopped watching during the dream sequences that went on week after week. We're thinking of picking it up again but don't want to get caught up in another never ending storyline. What's the best episode to stop at that will cover everything that's happened up to the fight, but not start getting into more side stories that will take another year to complete?

Don't remember when the dream stuff ended but as far as the main plot goes the show is basically over, the only thing left to adapt is the very last chapter. At the moment they're adapting the light novels that were written after the end of the manga to fill time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

For a story all about Sasuke that arc actually wasn't too bad overall. How many novels are still left to adapt now counting the Shikamaru one that starts next week?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 6, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Did boruto get an ongoing manga? I haven't kept up with the series since the end of the manga and that boruto special they did.

Technically yes but it's only being released once a month so far. There will be an anime version starting next month but I think it's going to be basically doing it's own thing rather than being an adaption of the manga (not that they have much to work with right now anyway besides a few Gaiden chapters and an adaption of the Boruto movie). So in other words, we're basically getting Naruto GT.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well they don't seem to be starting with a recap of the movie at least so that's a good sign. Also, as I kind of doubt they'd have both shows running at the same time I'm guessing Shippuden will finally start wrapping up following the current wedding arc.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

Huh.

Apparently the last Naruto episode is tomorrow.
I guess I can finally start watching again after I gave up when that moon dream-world filler started (like a year and a half ago I think?).

Huh, so they are ending things on the wedding after all. I guess that means either there's going to be a timeskip midway through the episode or they'll be adapting the last manga chapter at the start of Boruto (which would make sense as it's kind of a parallel to the beginning of the original series).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 22, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

My god, I can finally put naruto to rest.

Aside from the new series continuing on from Shippuden (though this one's not explicitly based on a manga so it's more like Naruto's Dragon Ball GT, hopefully it'll be a little better handled though) starting next month, yes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And with that Shippuden is finally over, kind of strange they didn't end things on Naruto becoming Hokage like the manga did but it was a decent episode none the less. I also kind of liked the Sentai-style handoff they did at the end.

Hopefully Boruto will be good and not the second coming of Dragon Ball GT (though it could be interesting to see what the anime writers come up with when they're given almost complete free reign of the series).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 23, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain_duck posted:

It's over! It's actually finally loving over. 220 + 500 = 720 loving episodes. Holy poo poo. WERE FREE

If you don't count the anime exclusive third season starting next month then yes, Naruto as it stands is finally over.

Mymla posted:

Tbh I don't get what people disliked so much about GT. I thought it was just... more dragon ball? Which I guess isn't exactly a good thing, but it's kinda what you should've expected.

It was kind of a half-assed attempt at recapturing the spirit of the original series (what with turning Goku back into a kid and all, which doesn't work as he still has his memories and thus the whole fish out of water angle is gone), also despite the anime writers having free reign to do what they want with the show it just kind of spun it's wheels for a while rather than doing anything substantial with the franchise (though it's been a while since I saw it so I could be wrong). Finally, Toriyama himself doesn't even consider it canon hence the reason Dragon Ball Super has effectively replaced it in the series timeline.

Calling it terrible might be too strong a word but in my opinion it just isn't that memorable of a series and ended up with a lot of wasted potential (I did kind of like the SS4 design to be fair though and Pan wasn't that bad of a character).

Back to Naruto though, the anime did have a few filler arcs I kind of enjoyed to be fair and I liked how they expanded on a few details the manga sort of glossed over (Anko's relationship with Orochimaru and Kaguya's backstory for example not to mention it was basically the only place side characters like Tenten had any real character development, or character at all for that matter.), so overall I'm cautiously optimistic about Boruto so far.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 24, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'm guessing Boruto's going to start with an adaption of the last manga chapter then (especially since it's kind of a callback to the start of the original series).

It'll be interesting to see how the anime writers handle this as this time they more or less have free reign and the little side plots they introduce now can actually matter in the grand scheme of things. If they can bring things back to the general spirit of the original without half-assing it we could potentially get a decent series out of this.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 24, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah I kind of hope that arc gets adapted in Boruto if only for the comedy value.

But the Naruto anime has been pretty good at adapting almost everything related to the franchise (I think the only thing from the early days that hasn't been covered so far is Kishimoto's original submission for the manga where Naruto literally was the 9-tailed fox) so I don't see why they wouldn't (there's even a few light novels they still haven't touched yet so it's not like they'll be hurting for content in the new series).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 26, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah though the problem with Shippuden is they often stuck bits of canon material at the end of filler arcs and had a few episodes during a canon arc that expanded upon details the manga glossed over so watching based on that list might make things seem a little disjointed at times.

Though since I've recently started my own rewatch of the series here's a list of my own I've come up with for Shippuden from scanning episode summaries (note: This list also includes filler arcs that have canon material attached, light novel adaptions and arcs that aren't in the manga but expand on information we were already given in it so you could probably knock a few episodes off if you wanted):

1-169 (there's a bunch of story arcs in the beginning that all lead directly into one another so it's kind of hard to find a good cut-off point)
172-179
197-222
243-256
261-270
272-280
282-283
286-289
296-308
318-319
321-375
378-426
451-493
The Last (not necessary viewing but technically still canon)
494-500

Then if you want you could check out the "The Day Naruto Became Hokage" special and the Boruto movie to finish things off. Granted, this doesn't cut things down by very much but it at least makes sure you don't miss anything important (Road to Ninja is also an alright movie that Kishimoto had direct involvement with, only problem is there's no good place to put it in the series timeline without contradicting current events or creating plotholes later on).

While I'm at it, here's a much shorter guide for the original series as well:

1-96
98-100
102-141
216-220

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 27, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

I'll go out on a different tangent. If you play every ultimate ninja storm (besides generations and... Crap I forgot the other spinoff. All the numbered ones)

You basically get the naruto story without filler. Any disagreements there?

That would be the shortest route through the series, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Bolt will have the byakugan right? Please?

We know his sister does at least and it would be nice to see a power other than the Sharingan get some focus for once. Speaking of which, I wonder if Himawari is going to get any development in the new series or basically stick to the background and become the new Tenten.

• Locked thread