Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom
Akatsuki? Attacking our village?? What could they possibly be after??? :byodame:

Are the "council" seriously this retarded in the manga too? I can't recall ever seeing them do anything even remotely useful in the entire Naruto storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom
Not happy about this one bit. Kakashi was pretty much my favorite character of the series even though he'd been overshadowed. One huge reason for me to keep watching this show gone.. They better make up for this big time.

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom
Is the anime really in danger of catching up already?

Also the name of this week's episode is such bullshit. I was hoping for an interesting reveal. It wasn't a bad episode but they kinda got my hopes up. :argh:

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom

Tonfa posted:

It's less that and more the fact that manga isn't showing any signs of ending soon.
Ah, that's not that bad I guess. I would assume the past few episodes have been eating up more chapters than normal since the pacing has been pretty swift though.

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom
holy gently caress

poo poo just got real in this show really fast. It's like they wanted to single out Jiraiya and Kakashi with a little bit of dramatics before killing everyone else all at once. Well, not everyone I guess, with the mission teams out and about like Gai's. I also like how Sakura pulled a trump card to avoid a nuke like Sasuke using one of the big three's summons, though I'm sure it wasn't on purpose.

I hope the animation like from the latter half of that episode keeps to at least that level for a bit. Best episode in a good long while!

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom

Slave posted:

Didn't Tsunade tell it to do that? I wouldn't be surprised if most of the people in Konoha are covered in slug
You're probably right. It looked like Sakura was on the outskirts of the blast, though, the way they had her staring at it, and there didn't look to be too many slugs at ground zero. It may have just been that they didn't put that much detailing effort into the birds eye view drawing of the crater, I guess. Anime speculation!

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom
hahaha, holy poo poo. So much awesome in so little time. I don't think I can say anything that hasn't already been said. Any chance of an hour long budget blower on this fight?

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom
Yep, that was the season 1 kickback alright. Complete with the painfully long and unneeded explanation right after it. Does the manga do these silly explanations as much as the anime does?

All in all still a pretty good episode.

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom
That's not really that bad then. It's just kind of annoying in the anime because they take so drat long to do it that it eats up airtime, though I guess that's kind of the point these days.

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom
That was loving amazing. I don't guess next episode is going to be done with that animation style as well? :( Big fights are pretty much wasted if they aren't animated fluidly like that.

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom
Man, Pain had a silly looking face for about a second and a half, gently caress this episode.

This poo poo was biblical. How can you even compare the quality of the average episode to this one? People actually looked like they were living bodies moving in 3 dimensional space. I'd take the distortion of this episode any day over flat, lifeless faces with their cock-eyed stare out into nothingness.

I agree completely that this is the kind of stuff that got me into the series in the first place. Yeah, maybe it's a bit exaggerated and over the top, but that's what you get with a nuclear powered demon and the leader of about the strongest ninja group in the world. These are my favorite kinds episodes because poo poo happens in them. Even if some of it is filler it's filler that's fun to watch.

The original Naurto (before the filler orgy) seemed to have an animation style kind of half way between what Shippuuden normally has and 167. It wasn't spectacular, but people didn't constantly look like disinterested robots and motion/fights were generally pretty decent. I think what makes 167 seem so out of place is we've kinda become used to the garbage quality that Shippuuden normally is so it's a huge jolt when something like this comes along. It wasn't that much of a jump between, say, 29 and 30 of Naruto.

I guess I'm more of a nerd over animation itself too, but I just really don't see anything in this episode worth complaining about.

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom
I really like Naruto's demeanor as of late, especially in the past few episodes. I don't know if it was just the anime teams' liberties of filler/padding making him seem thoughtless and moronic or if he's actually matured more since his training with the toads, but he seems much more driven and interesting now.

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom
So we're really into filler now? :(

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom
This filler is actually pretty interesting. I agree with Slave. The old music, when used well, actually seems better than a lot of the newer stuff.

All the references to this point in Naruto's life from the first series just made it seem like people ignored him. People are being outright dicks to him in this.

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom
I'll kinda be sad to see this little arc go away. 178 had some really good animation as well.

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom

Harettazetta posted:

Why do we watch this show
Sadly, this show has sort of become a weekly tradition of sorts for me such that I'd probably still continue watching it even if every episode from here on out was a pee rainbow episode. It's kind of weird being nostalgic for something that you never really got away from, but there you go. At least they're using some of the old school music again that I've missed.

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom
It looks like everything in those 2 minute segments Tonfa mentioned from all of the filler episodes was rehashed again at the beginning of 197 anyway so you can pretty much safely skip the filler completely. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom
gently caress yes. This show is getting awesome again.

I think Zetsu had more dialog in these past 2 episodes than he's had in his entire existence in the series.

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom
For some reason I had it in my head that Orochimaru being gone meant the cursed seals didn't work anymore. I am happy to be proven wrong. :)

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom

Burning Sensation posted:

If I understand what you are saying, then since that dude is the origin of the curse mark, Orochimaru not being around anymore is irrevelant as far as he is concerned.
You're right. Orochimaru had been so tightly bound to usage of the cursed seal that I'd always associated him with its origin. Even after the reveal of where it came from it just didn't stick as much. That's why I'm happy that I was wrong. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glitch
May 7, 2002

zip zip zoom
loving hell I keep falling in love with this show over and over again, always when I'm just about to give up on it. :unsmith:

While he's still a little goofy, Bee isn't nearly as annoying as he appeared to be way back with Sasuke's gang.

• Locked thread