Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ArcaneTree posted:

Is the next episode filler?
Ugh, I didn't check the preview. If it's filler, I don't know how I'm going to deal with this drat SHOW. Even these canon episodes have been completely devoid of any tension in the battles.

Ooooh, Someone's gonna fight some mind-controlled dead ninjas again. Wonder if he'll get hurt. Nope. Now he's gonna fight another mind-controlled dead ninja. Blechhhhhhhh.

At least in this latest episode we found out Nine-Tails' name. That's something, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Torrannor posted:

Well, I don't remember if the current flashbacks were part of the manga, but I don't care as long as we see more Jiraya!
These eps aren't terrible at least because they totally do some retcon explaining of how the villains set their plans in motion earlier in the series. Much better than the garbage filler war of the last year.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

IUG posted:

So one of my friends on Facebook says that the Magna was ending soon. As someone who gave up on the show during the ninja war thing, is it worth catching up if there's an end in sight?
Even if the manga is apparently ending, the show certainly doesn't feel like it. It's felt as if the last 100+ episodes have been 90% filler with 10% "moving the story forward" content.
It's torture. Better to think the show ended after the whole Pain story arc. Pretend he became hokage and Sasuke died somewhere offscreen. The end.

I just watch out of some sort of twisted sunken cost loyalty now. If I knew I was in for 500+ episodes leading nowhere, I probably should have started One Piece instead.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I've watched pretty much every episode of Naruto and I think I'll just skip this last filler arc and wait until the final wrap-up canon stuff starts again.

I'm done, this show is excruciating at this point.

Time to start watching One Piece from the beginning! :suicide:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Watch to the end of the first series, then drop it.

I don't want to be a killjoy, and the early stuff is really enjoyable, but your soul will get crushed in Shippuden.
Actually I think if you can skip the filler eps in the beginning of Shippuden, it's worth watching all the way to the end of the Pain arc. You could imagine that's the end of the series and it kinda works as a great finale (it just doesn't wrap up the Sasuke storyline at that point, but who cares).

Pretty much everything after that arc has been garbage in my opinion.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Reinanigans posted:

:unsmith: It's genuinely heartwarming to read your reactions and it ALMOST makes me want to rewatch the series. I'm not even a Naruto hater (everything is fine except for the filler, imo) It's just a very long series. Longer than even Dragon Ball, I believe.
Naruto (& Shippuden) would make for an excellent series if they revised it down to between 50-100 episodes at the very max. Then it would be worth sharing with people.

At the beginning of the series, when I was still excited about the show and would marathon episodes, I felt it gave off a little "Harry Potter/X-Men with Ninjas" vibe. You had your Voldemort/snake villain and your Dumbledore and each clan had its own special powers like they were mutants or whatever. It was fun and had some good tense moments.

Then they felt the need to stretch it out past its breaking point with filler and the whole thing lost momentum. You can't even "skip" the filler in the later Shippuden episodes because they pepper in about 2-3 minutes of canon material within each show (which is then largely recaps and filler otherwise).

Such a shame... at least the Ninja Storm games by CyberConnect2 are great.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

- DID THEY ACTUALLY KILL CHOJI HOLY loving poo poo WHAT THE FUCKKKKK
Now that you mention it, that Choji fight was really cool when I saw it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Larryb posted:

Just in case anyone cares, the filler arc that's been going on in Shippuden finally ended and the show will be returning to the main plot next week.
Finally. Time to end this sucker. Odd how the movie that's set after the finale came out before it (I guess to satisfy manga readers).

I didn't watch that, so I'm spoiler-free as to the ending of the series.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Freakazoid_ posted:

If there was a Naruto Shippuden Kai that dropped all the filler (and I mean ALL of it), it would be pretty good.

I think that's why people were recommending the recent video game?
The second PS3 game (Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2) covers the start of Shippuden all the way through the end of the Pain arc and cuts out any story filler (aside from natural videogame filler like fetch quests and crap). That's arguably the only part of the series that has a good plot anyway.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pyrotoad posted:

Which is the one with Robo Naruto?
That's Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution (doesn't have a number).
That's essentially FILLER: THE GAME. Just something to put out to add a few characters that weren't in the last game but without having enough progression in the show to make a game with a full story adaptation.

They had a similar filler between games 2 and 3 called Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations.

...and of course I bought all of them, wanna fight about it?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Eh, after all this time, only the tail end of the Gates bit seemed all that well done---I was expecting more of a dramatic, one at a time buildup in the first place as opposed to just starting at 7 with relatively little fanfare. That said, the finale of it this episode was awesome enough to pretty well carry the rest!
I just feel like watching the canon content drip out like this in-between long flashbacks of filler material drains all the tension and weight of major fight scenes. Every few weeks you have to think back and say, "Wait, what's going on? Where are we in this fight?" I didn't really feel anything from Guy's attack, especially knowing that it certainly wouldn't do anything to Madara.

This is a garbage show and I want it to be over now.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Captain_duck posted:

I dared to check upon the naruto anime again, and with episode 468 seems like the extended backstory "filler" arc of kaguya, the rikudou sage, and indra & ashura are over.

What was really dumb was that Indra at the rikudou sages deathbed just straight up says "gently caress you dad, if i dont get my way im going to reincarnate until i get what i want. Then Ashura is like well gently caress that poo poo then i will reincarnate as well to stop him. Thats the whole explanation we get. Man if reincarnation was so easy why didnt kaguya just do that?

Anyway with that done, the anime could move back into canon and actually get to the finish right?

Haha, no of course not. Next week seems to be a straight up rerun of the "whats behind kakashi's mask" episode.
Geez, I've given up watching the show until it goes back to canon for like a year now. Think this'll finish before we're all dead or is that a task for the next generation?

I should just play through the recent PS4 game, I heard they essentially animate the ending of the show in it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Teek posted:

Shippuuden has now moved into the Sasuke light novel story. It's actually decent so far. Good animation and quite bloody.

It's a bit weird to jump from the original story right into the light novel with Kakashi being Hokage and all the others a bit older and in new costumes. No explanation for Naruto's new arm or anything.
Heh, I'm still waiting since like a year and a half ago to get back into this show. I'm planning to let it finish, then watch the manga-canon episodes, then if I want, the extra stuff. I don't want to watch things out of order just because everyone's already read how it ends.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Huh.

Apparently the last Naruto episode is tomorrow.
I guess I can finally start watching again after I gave up when that moon dream-world filler started (like a year and a half ago I think?).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

seiferguy posted:

Naruto is finally over, drat. But I'm gonna bullet point some thoughts of my experience doing a marathon of the show:

- Probably the best thing about the series is how each clan / person has a unique power, and how it factors into every fight. I loved that most fights usually had an explanation / strategy going into it, even if they were sometimes long winded. This made Shikamaru one of the better characters because of how strategic he fought.
- The Konoha 11 were great characters as Naruto's posse. The addition of Sai was good, too. Picking Neji to be the sacrificial lamb of them felt odd for a bit, but sort of makes sense when you find out Naruto and Hinata get married.
- I get Naruto's "true power" is that he can make friends with anyone and turn every evil thing good (minus evil shinobi mom) including all the way up until Sasuke, but man I feel like redemption got overused: Kabuto, Orochimaru, Nagato / Pain, Obito, and the moon man from The Last movie.
- It's shonen anime and all, but Kishimoto sucks at writing female character development.
- Holy hell, the filler. I only watched a few, but before following a filler guide it's easy to tell what's filler and what isn't. The plot is disjointed, you can tell the characters aren't going to last, and the arc wraps up in a weird, quick way. I really enjoyed the Yuukimaru / Guren filler, because Guren is a cool ninja, and Naruto learns and uses the water pistol ability (which you never get to see again), but then it wraps up, then suddenly Tobi shows up and steals 3-tails.

If there's a show that deserves a DBZ Kai treatment, Shippuden is up there. Remove all fillers, and flashbacks, and you'd easily trim it down to like 200 episodes.
Yeah, exactly on the Kai treatment. I felt like the show began (at least once the exam story started) as an interesting "Harry Potter with Ninjas" where Orochimaru was Voldemort and Naruto was Harry. It veered off that path a little when Orochimaru stopped being the villain, but it had the same feeling of following magical students growing up and taking on the world-ending adult problems while the teachers are somewhat helpless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

seiferguy posted:

http://animefiller.com/naruto-shippuden-filler-list/

Do yourself a favor and skip all filler. If you really care, you can go back and watch some of it (Kakashi's ANBU arc is supposedly decent).
This site runs out in the 460s. I think they gave up.

• Locked thread