Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
So... what am I doing wrong here? Im trying to create users from a csv. Im not getting any errors, but im not getting any users either.

$user = Import-Csv "csvlocation"
$container = [ADSI] "LDAP://OU=ADUSERTEST,DC=XYZ,DC=LOCAL"

$user | foreach {
$description = $user.description
$userPrincipalname = $user.userPrincipalname
$displayName = $user.displayname
$givenName = $user.givenName
$sn = $user.sn
$password = $user.password
$homeDirectory = $user.homeDirectory
$homedrive = $user.homeDrive

}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Ah, thanks. I was afraid that all I was doing was creating variables, but so far, I just kinda fumble around until I get fed up and ask on here. Thank you for the help.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Is it possible to check folder permissions and then print the folder names if the permissions includes a specific user/group using powershell?

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
I am trying to identify and move disabled accounts within in AD. I am able to ID the account that are disabled but I am having problems getting the user account to move. The error that is appearing is in the $from.PSBase.Moveto. What am I missing?

Here is what I currently have
code:
$filter = "(&(objectClass=user)(objectCategory=person))"
$user = [adsi] "LDAP:// OU=xxx,DC=xxx,DC=xxx"

Foreach ($suser in $user.psbase.Children)
{
$user = [adsi]"LDAP://$($user.properties.item(""distinguishedname""))"
$uac=$user.psbase.invokeget ("useraccountcontrol")

if($uac -band 0x2){
 $from = [adsi] "LDAP://<currentlocation>"
 $NewOU = [adsi] "LDAP:// <Newlocation>"
$from.PSBase.MoveTo($NewOU)
}
}

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti

adaz posted:

Your MoveTo syntax is a bit off, for reference: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/w8stwdkc.aspx

Code wise it looks like so:

code:
$user.PSBase.MoveTo($NewOU,"cn=$($user.name)")

Bah, So close yet so far. That you so much. Made that change this morning and it ran exactly how I expected.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Ive run into a small issue. I had to restore network drives from a backup, but ownership and security permissions are not restored. So, now im stuck with 1200 folders that have incorrect ownership and will not be mapped when a user logs in until they have ownership of that folder.
I want to make sure what im thinking makes sense and check to see if there is possibly an easier way to do this.

The folders are their user names. Could I create an array of the names, then use that to assign ownership of the proper folder? Or can I do a for each, read the name then assign that ownership without the array? I'm way to inexperienced at this.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Fantastic, thank you so much. Im glad i'm at least on the right track. I didnt even consider the possibility of locking myself... Im glad I didnt just wing it.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
It works! Thank you so much!

I was wrong. It mostly works. I tired running it on multiple folders and its assigning multiple people to it instead of just the one the folder is named after, and folders/files inside are not inheriting. It looks like some other people in the thread recently had the same issue

Drumstick fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 2, 2012

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Fantastic! Thank you everyone for the help. I really appreciate it, and I know my users will too. This is new territory for me and Ive always received great help and advice from these forums.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Google has failed me. Im trying to add existing users to a security group. However all my googling has turned up is adding members through csv. Set-adgroup seems to do everything but add members.

Im tried add-adprincipalgroupmembership but its requesting an identity. Here is what I have

$ou = [adsi] "Ldap://<path>"
foreach ($user in $ou) {
add-adprincipalgroupmembership -MemberOf "cn=group,dc=domain,dc=local"
}

When run it prompts for an identity. So I stuck in a -identity $user after the cmdlt. Then I get an error saying Cannot bind paramater Identity. cannot convert system.directoryservices.directoryentry value of type system.directoryservices.directoryentry to type Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.management.adprincipalgroupmembership.

Im sure im missing something glaringly obvious.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Ah, thank you so much.

"That is way more elegant than what I was going to suggest. I was going to suggest getting a list of all users by doing a get-aduser and pulling their sAMAccountName then pumping that into the foreach statement."

This was one thing I had considered, but it seemed like so much more effort then what was needed.

Im not as familiar with using powershell in that way kampy. It seems like every so often a problem comes up and I know powershell is capable of handling it in a much easier fashion. I have a hard time distinguishing when to use that form(?) over the one I posted.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
I need a way to change the dial-in settings for users in AD to Control Access Through NPS Network Policy. So far my searching has only turned up ways to set it to Allow or Deny. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to set this? Some users are set correctly, however I have 12,000 students/staff accounts that need to be set so they authenticate on our radius server.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti

The Gripper posted:

I believe you can just do netsh set user name=adusername dialin=policy, which should use remote access policies to determine access (which in this case should match the Control access through NPS Network Policy setting).

I tried this and it kept returning an error, command not found.
I did find set-aduser <name> -replace @{msnpallowdialin=$true/$false} but to allow by policy it needs to be set as empty which to be honest, I have no idea how to do.

Edit: Found a tool to do it. http://admodify.codeplex.com/ doesnt help me learn anything more about powershell, but it sure does get the job done.

Drumstick fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 16, 2013

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti

The Gripper posted:

Hm, that is pretty annoying. You could try setting msnpallowdialin=$null and see if that counts as the default value, since MSDN seems to list that attribute as being boolean when it obviously isn't.

Yeah, that was the confusing part. Everything I saw had it listed as a boolean when there are 3 options. I did try and set it to $null and it would throw up a bunch of errors. After trying a few things I was able to find that program that got me what I needed. Thank you for the help!

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Is there a simple way to change user passwords? I have a csv of the usernames, and the new passwords but Im not sure how to set the new passwords. I have about 11,500 passwords that need changed...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Well, I went to post a big thing about how I couldnt get it to work and it turns out I just cant spell.

Thanks for the help! Its working great, I want to run it through another time or two before hitting it all.