Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
I'm looking for people to share a dedicated server in the Netherlands with. Split 8 ways, you'd get a VPS with 512mb ram, gigabit uplink, and a tonne of traffic for about €13/mo.

This works out (significantly) cheaper than linode, slicehost, prgmr and bitfolk. Check out the thread about it in YOSPOS if you're interested!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

optikalus posted:

That is a great way to share the costs, but just make sure you leave some RAM for the dom0 and adjust the cron.daily entries so that all the domUs don't try to logrotate at the exact same time. This will *destroy* your single SATA drive and basically make the server unusable at 4AM.

Thanks for the advice :)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I'm trying to do the math on how many customers you'd have to have to compete with slicehost, (offering a lower price) and still make money

When you turn a profit how about you buy yourself a legit copy of Office you filthy pirate.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Spamtron7000 posted:

I'm afraid that if I just pop a file up on some host and tell our partner company to link to it that it might violate some ToS because most of the webhosts expect you to host your entire site with them. Am I overthinking this?

This is only a problem with free hosts. I've never seen this as a condition on proper hosting; it seems absurd.

Spamtron7000 posted:

Either way, would someone mind telling me some things to consider when looking for a host to just stream a single file over and over again?

Maximum data transer per month, and the connection speed.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

c0burn posted:

What's the scoop on good UK/Euro hosts?

http://server.lu/ is a pretty great dedicated server host out of Luxembourg. (also, very cheap for what you get)

I'm also a customer of theirs. Fantastic for the price but be aware that as a high bandwidth host who bill per month with no setup fee, they have a habit of attracting a certain kind of person (like OVH and Hetzner do/did).

For VPSs, I liked bitfolk (based in the UK) but they're no longer the cheapest people around unfortunately.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

adorai posted:

The real question here is, will I look like too much of a fly by night rear end in a top hat to even get started?

Not if you target the right people (other fly by night assholes).

Joking aside, I offer the same kind of deal as you're planning on doing and was able to get lots of interest off the back of my forums reputation alone. With work, it's fairly easy to make this kind of business sustainable. There doesn't seem to be any shortage of people looking for cheap VPSs (just keep an eye on what people are doing - e.g. I offer uncapped bandwidth which has a habit of attracting trouble).

I suspect the problems arise when you need to hire extra staff.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Phiberoptik posted:

What domain registrar's are you guys using that are cheap and reliable? Godaddy's prices have gone up a lot over the years.

thirding namecheap, you can usually find discount codes for them here, and remember to add in the free ssl cert when you buy domains

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Tsaven Nava posted:

Unrelated to my questions a few pages back:

I have a customer that wants simple hisname@hiscompany.com e-mail address. Doesn't need a web site yet, but might want one in the future. Only needs a couple e-mail addresses, nothing fancy or complicated, and would be okay accessing it via a web-based interface.

1and1 has some e-mail only packages for $0.99/mo, which looks to suit the need fine. Is there any reason NOT to go with them? I've checked, and the domain name he wants is available.

namecheap + google hosted email is marginally cheaper and probably better in every respect (use a coupon from here - the one for September should be posted soon)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Tsaven Nava posted:

Oh, so I just need to pay the $8 a year or whatever to register the domain, and um. Magic happens?

Also, Google Apps pricing looks to be $50/year, which is WAY more then any of the hosted options I saw.

What Forums Poster less than three said.

- buy the domain for $9/year (I recommend namecheap, use the coupon codes from retailmenot)
- use namecheap's free DNS or afraid.org or whatever
- point the MX records for the domain at google as per their instructions
- charge him $9/year + whatever profit you want to make

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

GregNorc posted:

No one I've looked at except for Nearly Free Speech actually states that, and if they don't state it in the TOS then theoretically if the government asks for the data, they are within their rights to turn it over. So I'm looking for places that explicitly state they do not turn over material without a warrant.

try prq.se - they don't offer VPSs but have a web+mail package for 16usd/month

I used to have a web-only package with them and it was good (in terms deflecting legal threats)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

K-On! Season 2 posted:

dreamhost is running a deal for the superbowl, 1 year of hosting for $10, new customers only.

http://www.dreamhost.com/limited-time-sale-going-on-now.html

use coupon "goony fivebabies" to stop them being incompetent children

psyche

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

NSNOC are good, despite the appearance of their website.

Added bonus: they are not goon-run

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Zero The Hero posted:

Thanks, but I was actually looking for a .com. Maybe I'll settle for something else or maybe I'll just pay the 12. Not sure.

http://www.namecheap.com

http://www.namecheap.com?aff=6237 if you're feeling generous (thanks)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

More of a DNS question, but...

Let's say you have a bunch of websites, all on one server:

site1.com
site2.com
site3.com

And they all have NS records pointing to the same IP address, such as 11.22.33.44

For making it easier to move them around in the future, could you point them all to the same CNAME, like web.myserver.com?

Then when I move to a different host I can just change the A record for web.myserver.com instead of 50 or 100 individual records?

Pros/cons?

Another way would be to make each zone use the same zonefile

code:
zone "site1.com" {
        type master;  
        file "/etc/bind/db/common";
};

zone "site2.com" {
        type master;
};

zone "site3.com" {
        type master;
};
then only use @ in said zonefile, rather than explicit names

code:
@       14400   IN      A       12.34.56.78
@       14400   IN      TXT     "v=spf1 -all"
www     14400   IN      CNAME   @
Then changes only need to be made in one place.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

isn't CNAMEing site.com against some form of RFC and would break mail handling and other inane things?

This is something that he'd have to watch out for, yes

MX and NS records cannot point to a CNAME

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Comatoast posted:

google apps

A thousand times this

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Fangs404 posted:

All you have to do is forward port 21. http://portforward.com/ will tell you how - just find your router model and then select FTP on the applications page (if you see a message about PFconfig, hit "skip this advertisement" in the top right corner).

that's if he wants to run an ftp server on his home computer which is accessible from outside (it's port 21 at the server end, not the client end)

the easiest solution is to use passive mode if the ftp server you're trying to connect to supports it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol#NAT_and_firewall_traversal

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

It would be for multiple people to use.

Any other suggestions? I'd like to keep it under $100 total. They have the $29.95 server but it only has 512MB and 1.5TB bandwidth.

server.lu do unmetered 100mbit + extra IPs for $10 one-off each. Their official line is that running a VPN isn't included in their unmetered bandwidth policy but I doubt you'll have a problem with it

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

My client has a bunch of emails stored with one web host. We're going to be switching him over to another host soon. Is it possible to get the emails transferred from one host to another? If not, what is the most painless way to get the old mail archived prior to the switch?

Excuse my ignorance, I never have any of these issues of my own and I'm a web developer, not much of a hosting-solution-provider-guy.

use google apps for email, get it to import the old emails via imap/pop3, never look back

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

*puts eggs marked "domains" and "hosting" in a single, precariously balanced basket*

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Anybody have a recommendation for free DNS? I'm using WTFdns but just noticed that one of their two nameservers doesn't resolve, so I'd prefer to switch to something before the other one decides to die too.

dns.he.net

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

cos they're massively oversold and cannot provide unlimited anything

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

Use https://www.medialayer.com [...] if you want to keep your sanity.

How America sees the world.jpg

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Yes they're equiv, the numbers are just relative priorities

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Move her email onto google apps. Set it up to import (and delete) new email via pop3 from her old server. Then go onto her old email and mark all the messages as unread and wait for them to move (might take a while but works perfectly)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

lord funk posted:

So Made2Own has poo poo itself, and was bought by another company. My site has been down for a month, and the new guys say they are working to get the "data salvaged and accounts migrated to new systems."

I'm getting impatient, and I would like to have a host that I can set up two domains with. So, some questions:

1. What is the correct way to transfer my current domain to the new host?
2. I want to have two domains, so should I transfer the old domain first, then add another? Or is it better to try and do both at the same time?
3. I renewed with Made2Own a week before this crap happened. Is there a good approach I can take to get a refund for this year's payment?

Hope this is clear.

Decide on a new host first. Some of the made-for-idiots ones will actually help you out with this stuff. Look back a couple of pages, there are some guys shilling like mad, check them out

1. You shouldn't have to transfer your domain at all. It should be with a separate company already. If it is, just change the DNS to point to your new host (they will be able to tell you the new info). If not (i.e. if your domain is registered through made2own :pwn:), then transferring it to somewhere like namecheap is your first job. Do not transfer your domain to your new host.

2. w/e doesn't make a diff

3. ask them nicely. If they refuse, gently caress them. Do a cc/bank chargeback

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Also lol at a company called made2own completely owning people

the clue's in the name

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

what language are you going to be using to make this ~million dollar secret idea~ etc

actually working out your requirements properly is the first step towards picking suitable hosting

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

is it like facebook? I've been looking to get in on the next facebook (will work for stock)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Quodio Stotes posted:

I know the guy asking questions about hosting doesnt seem like someone prone to make it big online, but trust me I'm not shooting that high and the things I want my application to do are all simple things that are done elsewhere all the time (however as of yet they have not been combined in the fashion I am thinking of). Secondly the "App" part of the site is half of it, the other half would be informative text, pictures, and links (this half is also important however). And trust me I am spitballing all this right now I haven't made any moves past a registering a domain. Just asking for some friendly advice is all. Help a brother out.

The static half doesn't require any special kind of hosting. All types of host support this kind of thing.

The dynamic half requires a host that supports server-side scripting of some description. This needn't be anything fancy; you can find dead cheap shared hosting that supports e.g. PHP+MySQL. (Look back a couple of pages, some dude keeps advertising his company, that one will do)

It's really hard to give you any better suggestions than this without you having a clear idea how you plan to actually implement it.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Fangs404 posted:

Regarding TLDs, what do you guys recommend for personal sites/blogs? I was reading about the .name TLD and think that may be the way to go, but I'm not sure if .com is better (I guess for SEO purposes).

Always get the .com out of preference imho.

It's annoying to have to settle for some poo poo TLD because the .com is taken; I don't know why you'd subject yourself to this voluntarily.

(Doesn't make a diff to SEO though)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Don't run your own mailserver, def. use google apps (it's free)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

I've looked into namecheap but they charge for whois protection.

Lol "whois protection", just put bogus info in or a bundlebox address or something.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

DarkLotus posted:

ICANN requires all Who-is data to be accurate and relevant. By providing false information, you risk possible domain suspension or cancellation.
http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/ra-agreement-21may09-en.htm#3.7.7

Bundlebox addresses are valid addresses you can have poo poo mailed to, hth

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

DNova posted:

Bundlebox costs $15 just to sign up

Oh right it was free when I signed up, doubtless there are similar free services still.

DNova posted:

and seems geared towards re-shipping packages to countries other than the US for huge sums of money, hth.

Yes, this is precisely what it's for. Fortunately you don't give a poo poo about actually receiving whatever crap you've been sent and can tell them to bin it.

I don't understand why people voluntarily give their personal information to companies who don't need it.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

optikalus posted:

RewriteRule \.htm$ index.php
RewriteRule \.html$ index.php

RewriteRule \.html?$ index.php

c'mon son

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Note that hetzner do that stupid thing with bandwidth that OVH do

quote:

We will permanently restrict the connection speed to 10 MBit/s if more than 5,000 GB/month are used (the basis for calculation is for outgoing traffic only. Incoming and internal traffic is not calculated). 100 MBit/s speed can be optionally restored by committing to pay 6,90 € (incl. VAT) per additional TB used.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Unmetered, guaranteed 100mbs isn't cheap. That's like 30TB/month running all-out.

Yes, absolutely true.

However this seems like something of a false dichotomy - can you actually get guaranteed 100mbit from hetzner even with this clause? It seems to be a moneymaking exercise rather than a way of improving their bandwidth.

The choice with budget servers seems to be between "non-guaranteed shared bandwidth" and "non-guaranteed shared bandwidth with a stupid throttling policy on top".

Bob Morales posted:

Many providers will give you a '100mbs' connection that will only run up to 20/40mbs, or force you to share it with others.

Yeah you can sometimes get lucky though - e.g. root.lu are quite good in my experience (lovely hardware though)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

VerySolidSnake posted:

The only learning experience and takeaway is to never use Dreamhost again.

Lmao no, the lesson is keep your own backups of your website you monumental retard, are you literally 12 years old?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Stick it behind Cloudflare