Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I'd appreciate some advice regarding unmanaged VPSs.

I've been running a small game (Minecraft) server on my home connection for a few weeks now and would like to move to a VPS due to bandwidth constraints. VPSNOC's Gold plan seems just what I need.

I tried to sign up today but was stymied by some options. Ordering asks for a hostname (no big) and NS1 and NS2 -- namesevrers, I think, which I know nothing about. I am under the impression that I need to have a domain to utilize this server. I suppose I could get one through GoDaddy if needed, but would like to avoid that.

The server is only for some friends (~10) and I. Can we just use the server IP for navigation? We'll only need this for the game, a mumble server, and perhaps a light http server to host game world maps. Alternatively, could I simply point a DynDNS to the server IP and save some cash?

I thought I had enough skill to handle an unmanaged VPS but am a bit scared now. I don't doubt that I'll be able to configure the server once I get to the console, but I'd like to know what the experience is up to that point. How much fooling around with domains will I need to do to make it accessible (if not pretty)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU