Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Can someone give me a recommendation on exactly what sort of service I need?

I work for a small industrial HVAC equipment distributor, and we need to do an off-site backup on a regular basis of our critical accounting and financial data. Our database is only about 750mb in size, and we'd like to upload a new copy to some cloud storage somewhere on a nightly basis, retaining old databases for 30 days. So, we wouldn't need much storage, 30gb should be plenty.

I see a lot of web hosting plans that offer plenty of storage and unlimited bandwith for pennies a month. But, and this is probably a retarded question, if we just bought one of those cheap hosting plans from GoDaddy or something, and uploaded our files to it, could someone access them as easily as typing in our domain name and then the file name? That is NOT what we want.

It seems like what I want is so simple, but most all hosting places I've seen offer way more then we actually need.

What should I be looking for, and can someone point me in the right direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
That's what I would prefer, using FTP to transfer files rather then having to install their applications on my shiny new server. Looking at Carbonite, it seems their only option it to use their software, and it determines when things need to be backed up. I don't think this would work, as we want to keep the old databases around for at least 30 days.

Really, that's all I want is some web space with FTP access.

Tsaven Nava fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 11, 2010

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

atastypie posted:

Why not Amazon S3? There are tons of scripts that will automatically back up to it for you once you cron them up. There are also some pretty decent (free) apps that will mount the S3 drive for you to access whenever you want.

Now that would be quite perfect, but I couldn't seem to get a straight answer out of Amazon's web page (in the three minutes I spent poking at it) that would tell me how much it would cost per month.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Unrelated to my questions a few pages back:

I have a customer that wants simple hisname@hiscompany.com e-mail address. Doesn't need a web site yet, but might want one in the future. Only needs a couple e-mail addresses, nothing fancy or complicated, and would be okay accessing it via a web-based interface.

1and1 has some e-mail only packages for $0.99/mo, which looks to suit the need fine. Is there any reason NOT to go with them? I've checked, and the domain name he wants is available.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Cheaper how? Looks to be a few bucks more then 1and1 (Although seriously even with domain registration it's $18 vs $24. OMG $6/year it will bankrupt him)

However, what do you mean with google hosted email?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Oh, so I just need to pay the $8 a year or whatever to register the domain, and um. Magic happens?

Also, Google Apps pricing looks to be $50/year, which is WAY more then any of the hosted options I saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Is there any reason not just to pay the $10 for a domain through Google Apps and use their free/standard service? I've got no idea what MX records are or how I would "use" their DNS.

oh god how did this get here I am not good at this internet thing :(