Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

EssOEss posted:

Can anyone recommend cheap ASP.NET/Windows shared hosts? I don't need much but cheapness is important. These seem to be drat difficult to find - most hosts seem to only cater to a different crows.

I've been using Softsys hosting for a while now and haven't had any issues. Support has been very responsive as well.

http://www.softsyshosting.com/Win08Hosting.aspx

Not sure if this is kosher or not (if not, no big deal), but if it does look worthwhile, they do have an affiliate program you can use to sign up:

http://members.softsyshosting.com/aff.php?aff=177

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

DarkLotus posted:

I always feel out of place posting as a web host in one of these threads, but Lithium Hosting now has ASP / .Net hosting available. It's a new offering and isn't advertised on the website or SA-Mart thread at all.
Direct Signup Link. It's $69.99 a year for unlimited disk and bandwidth.

You have some more details on this? The sign up page was a bit vague :)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

DLCinferno posted:

I'm looking for a shared (preferably) provider that supports .NET 4.0, MVC2 and SQL Server 2008 at least. I'd like if they offered SMTP but most of them should already. Anything else is gravy, but it would be nice to have some auto backup capabilities.

Any recommendations? So far I've been looking at Softsys, WinHost and DiscountASP.NET.

I've been using Softsys for loving around projects for a while and haven't had any issues with it. The few times I've had to hit up support they've been very responsive.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

adorai posted:

I'm considering starting a hosting company myself. If I decide to pull the trigger, I intend to start small and keep the personal touch. Since I'm not really advertising here I don't think i need to show off my credentials, though I will say I am a storage and VMware admin by day. I wanted to ask about pricing here. If/when I start I don't plan to have HA anything, and I will make that clear in any marketing. I think I can turn a profit on a plan like this:

1 vCPU
512MB RAM
25GB storage
250GB transfer
1 IP

for $15/mo, with the following options available

Extra RAM $3/256MB
Extra disk $2/5GB
Extra IP $1 per
Transfer $1 per 25GB

I can do this without terribly overselling, based on my experience with virtual workloads. If I can turn any profit whatsoever with this, I have a plan to expand and provide much better reliability options, including offsite data backups and HA for both storage and servers.

The real question here is, will I look like too much of a fly by night rear end in a top hat to even get started?

Are you counting the costs of paying Vmware for ESX licenses? You can't use free ESXi in a hosting environment, if that was your plan.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

adorai posted:

Even if I was planning on paying for esxi, it's pretty cheap. Luckily I am not, and I have spent a lot of time playing with KVM, so that is my intended platform.

Well god speed then, I think those prices are pretty decent overall, as long as you don't end up spend every waking moment dealing with idiots doing terrible things. :)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

minivanmegafun posted:

I'm not sure any Windows VPS hosts exist.
There's a ton of them.

Mortanis posted:

Can anyone recommend a good Windows VPS? The caveats are that we need maybe a hundred IPs for sites we've got with SSL right now, and a decent amount of hard drive space and bandwidth. I'm extremely tired of managing my own hardware, but sadly the legacy sites I need to keep running are ColdFusion and it just works best on Windows.

I use SoftSys for shared hosting and have had great, very responsive support, but don't have any experience with their VPS products, but at least they're running hyper-v, not Virtuozzo.

The number of ips you need might be a bit of a deal breaker though with smaller companies though.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 27, 2010

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

wwb posted:

Anyone have any experience with SoftSys Hosting, specifically their Windows VPS plans? They seem to have a nice combination of features and price for me but I'd like a sanity check before plunking down the amex.

I haven't used their VPS offerings, but I did use them for shared hosting for quite a while and never had any issues. Support was quick and knowledgeable when I did have questions.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 28, 2010

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Fangs404 posted:

If there's not really a price difference ($7.95/month is right at standard shared hosting prices), just go for the VPS. More control is always a better thing unless you just don't want the extra control.

Yeah, nice to be able to control app pools, etc, the cheap shared windows hosts I've used in the past tended to be pretty aggressive about shutting down your app pool.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Postal posted:

Perhaps this isn't the perfect place to post this question, but it is at least tangentially related. If it doesn't fit here, please let me know and I'll move it.

Does anyone have any experience using Google Apps versus Office 365 in a small business? I am specifically looking at Office 365 Small Business Premium ($15 per months for 1-10 users) or Google Apps for Business ($5 per user per month).

My specific needs/desires:

- (Need) Professional email address(es) with custom hostname
- (Need) Calendaring
- (Need) Email/calendar access via web, computer, and iPhone/iPad
- (Need) Web hosting with custom hostname for externally facing site to interface with clients
- (Desire) Web hosting internally to host a Wiki for knowledge management
- (Need) File storage accessible via web, computer, and mobile
- (Desire) Web/video conferencing and instant messaging

I've looked at both of these offerings and they both seem to mostly fit my needs. I'm a little leery about the web hosting, though. Google doesn't seem to offer anything firm and I can't find anything on the extensibility of the Microsoft offering. My needs are pretty simple, though. I'd like to present company information, contact info, and perhaps a blog/news page.

Overall, I'm looking for something that is easy to manage and provides all these services without me having to maintain mail, web, chat, etc, servers on a generic hosting service. Does anyone know of any other vendors that provide similar services?

EDIT: Also, do either of these services offer domain name registration with their products or would I have to get that elsewhere?

Any reason you looked at the premium version of Office 365 and not the regular offering? The only really significant difference is the office license that's included in the premium version, and the regular Office 365 small business option is $5-6/month depending on how you pay.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/business/compare-office-365-for-business-plans-FX102918419.aspx

I haven't used the latest version of Office 365, but I've setup Google Apps for a number of organizations/groups and honestly Google Sites is the weakest part of that offering. It's janky and clunky and while it may work for something super basic, most of the groups that stuck with it did so because they didn't want to pay for anything else. These were all external faci g sites, maybe it's a bit more functional for "internal" facing stuff.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Postal posted:

I looked at that link and it doesn't show that the regular offering doesn't include the desktop version of Office. That is a plus for me in having that included instead of having to buy it separate as well as pay for email and online collaboration. I suppose I could buy Office outright, but I'm trying to limit my expenditures.

Would you be able to load up something like MediaWiki in there? Would it be useful for one or two users?

Yeah, if you want the full office license, then yeah, the premium version makes sense, it just throws off the comparison with Google Apps a bit from a pricing/feature standpoint.

For Google Sites, no on mediawiki but as for how useful it is, it really depends on what you want to use it for. Office 365 is likely going to be more robust in that regard.

The nice thing is that you can do a full 30 day trial of each service, so other than time, you're not really losing anything by checking them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Harvey Baldman posted:

I've had a Dreamhost site running for a bunch of years now and it has been... okay. Slow, but okay. But it's getting progressively worse.

Thing is, when I say 'a bunch of years', I really mean, like... 12 or 13 years. In that time I think I've stacked up about 300 GB of files in various folders on this account.

I'd like to move to something less lovely, but my budget is not that high. I've been getting away with paying like $10 a month to Dreamhost for a while and basically using one of those folders as a pseudo-dropbox for years. Is there any host I can look at that'll give me better service but still let me dump a ton of huge files on them like this, for <$20 a month?

So dumb question, why don't you just do something like OneDrive and get 1TB of storage for less? Are you actually hosting any sites on this?