Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Very few hosts I see that offer Java applications hosting (a simple tomcat would do).
And those who do ask an arm and a leg for it. Is it that hard/expensive to provide that?
It seems that for a Java application one is better off on a VM, to be able to control the computer as they please. And the RAM provided is just soooo tiny :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

PleasantDilemma posted:

I've heard fastmail is good for hosting email and they aren't one of the big clouds. Today I was actually trying to sign up for icloud email but the app kept giving me an error. They support custom domain and the price looks really good. I'm looking to switch off runbox.com since I've had some delivery issues.

I am looking to move my custom domain email from google (had it since 2009 in the free plan but for more than a year now google just got greedy and they're asking tons of money. I'm just about to finish my grace period this month with them.) I saw in the other replies information about setting up cloudflare with email forwarding. How do you send email from that email address then?

Second question, which is why I quoted above post: I researched fastmail a bit and people are saying good things about them. Their custom domain plan is significantly cheaper than google and microsoft. Are there any problems that people have experienced with them? Other than fastmail or that cloudflare solution is there nothing out there but to go give money to google or microsoft?

I just need 3 users.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Inceltown posted:

The free gapps accounts got to stay free after too many people complained. Check to see if you really need to do this first. You might need to contact support to get it to stick around as I recall I had to opt into keeping free gapps but that is probably a lot less effort and cheaper than migrating.

omg, really? holy poo poo, never heard about that. ok, I suppose I can contact the google support AI, and see where I can go from there ... It's been a year or two since they switched on to full greed mode, hopefully there wasn't a period when one could keep their free account.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Thank you very much everyone, that is quite helpful information.