Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Hi folks, a while ago a rolled a website on wix and I am getting tired of how hard they are pushing upsells. "Oh you want a form with one more field? That will cost twice as much as you're paying now. Oh you don't want our branding all over the emails you send through us? That's another $20"

I want to work on transition to more of a host agnostic solution to avoid this poo poo.

My requirements:
-low traffic (couple dozen site visits a day maybe)
-reliable - used for a small business
-some sort of backend coding - I used wix code heavily, but I imagine I can work with node.js or maybe php
-web hook endpoints
-database - I'm not an sql expert, so some management interface would be good.
-secure web accessible back end where I can make some web apps that interface with stripe.
-some ability to roll back when I or a co-worker inevitably gently caress something up.
-a way to manage content (after site is set up) that doesn't require coding

I think this is pushing me to rolling a virtual private server with frequent backups but it does leave me with one big concern: I am not an internet security expert and I have no capacity playing computer janitor once things are set up.

Any recommendations on which direction to get started with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

DarkLotus posted:

If you just need a website that works, go with shared hosting. If your needs evolve, you can easily move to a VPS if that works for you at that time.
I'll check it out the shared hosting recommended above. I recently realized transitioning away from wix would mean rebuilding everything from scratch because of the proprietary API and a VM image was the first completely portable thing that came to mind as an alternative.

If shared hosts can let me download all my content in a way that can work with other hosts, I am happy to give it a try.

E: I guess one important thing to check is if the shar d host has, or is willing to install the stripe api for me.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 6, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

DarkLotus posted:

Lithium Hosting shared hosting if you choose a plan with SSH access will allow you to manage your site / account as if it were a VPS.
It's basically a virtual environment where you can run Python, PHP, Ruby, Go, node.js
You don't have to worry about server security and management, that's all taken care of for you.
You are 100% responsible for your code, HTML and other scripts. Installing the Stripe API is also going to fall on your shoulders. It's both Javascript and whatever programming language you use on the backend.

And yes, with shared hosting, what you build is yours and can be moved anywhere at anytime without restriction.
I just started poking around on lithium tonight. One hiccup I'm running into is in how to do testing of a site using ssl before moving a domain name over. Of course I can use my hosts file on my end, but that doesn't help me without a self signed certificate.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

nem posted:

That's a limitation of domain-validated certificates. Wix won't give you the certificate used to protect your site, why would they want to make switching easy. If you have control over DNS for the domain, which you would by changing nameservers over to Lithium and retaining your old Wix DNS entries for the domain + https://www.domain variants, then it's possible to perform a DNS validated SSL issuance in LiPanel via Web > SSL Certificates. It'll perform a HTTP check, fail, then fallback to using DNS to satisfy the SSL challenge.
Thankfully I had the foresight to not purchase the domain through wix so I can change the dns server. I've never actually changed dns records on an active site before, so I would appreciate a reality check to let me know if I might break anything:
First set lithium dns to point to wix and gmail (I wasn't sure what those txt entries were for and didn't delete them):

Then just set my domain to use these nameservers:
ns1.lithiumdns.net
ns2.lithiumdns.net

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 8, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

nem posted:

Yup looks good. Those MX records would indicate you're letting GMail handle mail for your domain. _acme-challenge is an initial SSL bootstrap attempt. _apnscp_uuid is an internal value used to track domains across servers to make sure a domain when deleted is really deleted. Alternative is you end up with something silly like EIG brands do and have ns213491.hostgator.com, ns213492.hostgator.com.

Cool. I'm gunna make the change, turn off my phone and go to lunch and hope for no surprises when I come back :v:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I got a lithium specific question here. How do I make sure remote database connections aren't sending everything out cleartext?

I go to this page, but if I just check 'Require SSL' I get an error.

If I just select x509 under SSL Cipher, I don't get an error but the change doesn't stick and I'm able to login on an unsecure connection.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

nem posted:

Yup, that's a bug. Fixed in edge and will be bundled in the next release. Communicated this change in advance with DarkLotus :balldo:
Alright the checkbox works now. I still have some trouble actually getting an ssl connection established, but I'll bring that over to the discord.

e: sorted now. It was likely a combination of server config and me not knowing what I am doing.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 19, 2021

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

Would wix do what you want?
As somebody working to transition from wix: they push up-sell hard for things that seem trivial. They also don't have an easy option for downgrading plans.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

Is there one of the squarespace/wix/shopify style hosting providers that someone here likes and which provide an API for managing products/inventory? I need a stupid-simple-to-manage site that will let products, quantities, pricing, pictures, etc. change or be added/removed several times per day by API. Shopify appears to fit the bill but I've not used them before, thought maybe the thread had a favorite.
Be vary wary of hosts that are easy to set up but hard to leave. They tend to push upsells HARD.

I don't want to go as far as saying they hold your business hostage, but it sure feels like it.

Maybe see if woocomerce on top of WordPress fits your needs?

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 8, 2021

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Stripe, PayPal, and others I'm sure have tools to process payment with none of the credit card stuff touching your server. Deploying a shopping cart app with payment processing webhooks is still a pain in the rear end and that should be the reason for not doing it instead of the credit card boogie man stuff.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

My first piece of advice is not to tie your domain name to some web host to save yourself this headache in the future. Transfer your domain to cloudflare/porkbun/name cheap/etc. Then point it to your host as the authoritive name server.

E: I didn't read. Sorry. Even then, iirc netsol is kind of a rip-off.

Re the 60 day lock, There should be an option to opt out of the domain lock when you update the whois info.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 6, 2022

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Might have another small site to put together. Is lithium hosting still a good choice for a platform agnostic LAMP type host?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Do those snapshots even apply to database changes an update might do?