Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I just got this email from GoDaddy (current host):

quote:

We're upgrading your hosting.
Because you've got a good thing goin'.
Your 12-month credit to try cPanel hosting for new account is almost up. (Way to jump on a smart deal. Who doesn’t love free stuff?)

On 8/27/2022, we're moving you to our paid Economy plan. Your yearly fee will come out to be just $8.99/month. We'll use the payment method you have on file. Sign in to your account to make sure it's still current.

I have no memory of opting in to cPanel free trial or otherwise; my page is basically there to link my domain to my photography portfolio, which is hosted as part of my Adobe CC subscription. I doubt it gets any traffic, and I don't use email addresses or anything like that. With a bit of digging, I was able to find cPanel and cancel it before the charge hit. I confirmed with a CSR somewhere overseas that I was automatically enrolled in this, so basically GoDaddy is trying to trick me into thinking I'm continuing something I've already said yes to, as opposed to something they've automatically enrolled me in that suddenly ~quadruples what I'm paying them.

Curious if anyone else has had GoDaddy try this. Not sure if they're still up to it, but historically their advertising has never sat well with me, but I've been using them for yonks because they are a cheap, no-frills service which is all I'm really after.

Definitely open to alternatives, my GoDaddy renewal date is coming up in a couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU