Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

EssOEss posted:

Can anyone recommend cheap ASP.NET/Windows shared hosts? I don't need much but cheapness is important. These seem to be drat difficult to find - most hosts seem to only cater to a different crows.

I always feel out of place posting as a web host in one of these threads, but Lithium Hosting now has ASP / .Net hosting available. It's a new offering and isn't advertised on the website or SA-Mart thread at all.
Direct Signup Link. It's $69.99 a year for unlimited disk and bandwidth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Elected by Dogs posted:

cPanel sucks and I can't even add DNS entries to it. DirectAdmin lets you add anything from AAAA to PTR to SRV :(

This depends on your host, for example, Lithium Hosting allows you to fully manage your DNS from cPanel.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Stacie posted:

Can you share where you got unlimited disk and bandwidth? We might move our 7 servers to your $69.99 account.

Its one of the products we sell. There is a 30-day money back guarantee if for any reason you aren't satisfied too. So really there is no reason not to give it a shot!

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Maneki Neko posted:

You have some more details on this? The sign up page was a bit vague :)

I'll post some info in the SA-Mart thread so as to not clutter this thread. The reason there isn't much information about it yet is because it is a new offering and we haven't started advertising it yet.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

atastypie posted:

it's worse security to write out all the details put it on the internet

This isn't always true. Security measures aren't good because they are secret, they are good because of what they do. Having a firewall and antivirus protection isn't circumvented by making knowledge of their existence public. Telling the world what type of security you have in place isn't the same as telling them exactly how you implemented it.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Bob Morales posted:

Alright, then you can use whatever host you want. Just pick a good one that does backups. You might have trouble finding a VPS with enough storage space+transfer at a low cost.

Just make sure you don't put the files in /www or /public_html ;)

Make sure your host allows you to use sftp, so your stuff is secure. And if it's a shared host and it's confidential poo poo, encrypt it before you upload it.

Also make sure your host allows you to use your shared hosting for file storage. Some host require your hosting be used for web hosting and not offsite data storage.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Tsaven Nava posted:

Now that would be quite perfect, but I couldn't seem to get a straight answer out of Amazon's web page (in the three minutes I spent poking at it) that would tell me how much it would cost per month.

http://aws.amazon.com/s3/#pricing

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Tsaven Nava posted:

Is there any reason not just to pay the $10 for a domain through Google Apps and use their free/standard service? I've got no idea what MX records are or how I would "use" their DNS.

oh god how did this get here I am not good at this internet thing :(

That will work too, definitely keeps things simple for you.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

a llama posted:

I would recommend staying far away from a server with Fantastico on it as it has in the past had a large number of security flaws and typically doesn't secure the script as much as someone who knows what they are doing or even reads a guide.

That's not even a fair statement. Fantastico is just as good as a novice user that just follows a simple guide. If a server is setup properly, one users scripts won't affect anyone else security wise. As long as a person keeps their 3rd party apps up to date, they will run less of a chance of being exploited.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

I'm not arguing that there isn't the potential for exploits within Fantastico, my arguement was that using Fantastico to install wordpress is just as harmless as someone downloading wordpress and installing it themselves.

Exploits will exists as long as there are people developing software, all we can hope for is that the developers fix the issues promptly.

Edit: That is a really bad exploit and I'm waiting to hear back from the Fantastico Developer about a fix before I disable Fantastico on all my servers. With my test of it, I wasn't able to access user data from one account to another but I was able to access files that are normally not accessible via PHP or the user.

Edit2: From Netenberg:
We are working on a fix in this regard.

However, we must say that this is not a real exploit at all. The scripts run under cPanel will have the same permission as the cPanel user and therefore is not able to access "restricted" files.

> Locally Exploitable
> Yes

> Now your PHP code will execute without /safe_mode/Disable_function/
> Mod_security due to cpanel php.ini must be run with execute permission.

These two items are the key here.

In any case, we will fix this issue at the earliest.

DarkLotus fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 3, 2010

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Thrawn200 posted:

How is their customer service? I sent them a "pre-sale question" about what package/add-ons they would reccomend for my (very basic) needs and they haven't got back to me yet. To be fair it hasn't even been two full days yet, but that can't help but make me worry about how slow/fast their support would be with any issues.

Send me a PM and we can discuss your Pre-Sales questions. I never got your email, sorry!

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

rugbert posted:

So Im looking for new hosting for a couple sites Im working on. Im trying to learn Rails 3 by converting their old sites into CMS sites and Im going to need something preferably cheap and something that supports Rails 3.

edit - Id prefer something like cpanel too, just in case the site changes hands or they decide to move to WP.

It is unlikely you will find a cPanel host that offers Rails 3.
http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/rails-3-0-not-starting-163993.html#post699654

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Aquarium of Lies posted:

I looked into Lithium Hosting, read the terms of service and acceptable use policy for their VPSes, saw nothing forbidding IRC and figured they would work for that and ordered their basic VPS plan.

I guess not! I can't connect to IRC, period, through my server. I figured I would ask here before I sent in a ticket for it.
IRC is against the AUP and forbidden on Hosting Plans and VPS plans.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

CelestialScribe posted:

I'm totally lost - set up a Lithium Hosting account for my blog, and it tells me that WordPress is installed already, but I don't have idea how to access a login page or the WordPress software itself.

Does anyone know where I can go to login? I'm a total, absolutely nooby at this.

Put these type of posts in the Lithium Hosting Thread, or submit a ticket.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

R1CH posted:

That sucks, I was looking into ordering from them (100tb) tomorrow too. Any similar hosts that don't suck? Need a dual i7 CPU, 12+ GB RAM, dual HDDs, 6+ TB bandwidth and ideally some kind of backup solution and an SSD, hosted in US (East coast preferred).

Are you ruling out SoftLayer because of what they did to SimpleCDN? I actually have a couple of servers matching your specs but I bought them from The Planet before the acquisition.

DarkLotus fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 13, 2010

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

R1CH posted:

We're already with SoftLayer and have outgrown their current offerings. Their higher end systems (Dual CPU, ++RAM) get very expensive very quickly. It seems we're in this weird position where the most common dedicated offerings are no longer powerful enough and the more powerful options are outside of our budget.

I know exactly what you mean...

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

anagramarye posted:

So for a mostly-personal project I've gotten a domain from Namecheap, and basic hosting from Lithium, and ... I have no idea how to properly connect the two. It is just using the "transfer DNS" function in Namecheap's domain page to point at the Lithium nameservers and then waiting for it to propagate, or am I missing something?

If you just registered your domain, you can't transfer it yet. You have to wait 45-60 days before you can transfer a domain away. You should be able to update your name servers at NameCheap and have your site work. Check your email for your welcome email and use the name servers from the email.

There are Flash Tutorials here:
https://www.lithiumhosting.com/tutorials.html

This one will help you accomplish your task:
https://www.lithiumhosting.com/tutorials/dns/dns_namecheap.html

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

anagramarye posted:

Sorry, I was looking at the wrong page for what I was referring to. :blush: (I think I got confused by the way one of the links in their page changes to "Transfer DNS Back to Us" after setting name servers...) I've got the custom DNS servers set to the nameservers from the email (as per that second link) so now I'm just waiting for it to propagate, right?

That is correct. If you are a big impatient gorilla, you can try Google DNS, It's free and much better than your ISP's DNS.
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

IOwnCalculus posted:

Um, you'd use those for your end connection, not to handle your DNS records.

Yeah, that's what I was suggesting. If he didn't want to wait for his crappy ISP's DNS servers to refresh, he could use Google DNS which proves to be much faster with Propagation. Since he already stated he made the Name Server change at NameCheap.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

GregNorc posted:

So I'm looking for a decent, cheap, privacy respecting webhost that will also provide POP3/IMAP hosting... I had looked at Nearly Free Speech but they only offered email forwarding... I'm trying to move away from storing all my email with companies like Google so it's a bit of a dealbreaker.

I just want to host a small personal site, my email, and a blog on a subdomain. Any suggestions?

What do you mean when you say "privacy respecting"? What type of privacy are you talking about and how is it not being respected with your current host? I'd like to think most hosts won't release client information without your consent or a court order.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Made2Own isn't a real registrar which means you may have a chance to recover your domain. They likely resell Resellerclub or Enom domains since they easily integrate with the billing system they use, WHMCS.

If your domain hasn't been expired for more than 30 days, your chances are very good. If its beyond that it will start getting tricky soon and it will go into recovery which is expensive to get it out of.

I sent you a PM, I'll try and help you get your domain back.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

12_String posted:

Reply sent. I appreciate any help possible. Thank you very, very much.

As I suspected, they reseller ResellerClub domains, nothing wrong with that, I do the same. I've contacted ResellerClub support to try and move the domain to my account so we can get it renewed for you. Your hosting will still be with made2own.com, but at least you can get your domain back online.

Edit, I was mistaken, they bought your domain through enom.com.

DarkLotus fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 3, 2011

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

12_String posted:

Fantastic! Thank you!

I have a solution for you and sent you another PM. Get me the information I requested and I can get your domain transferred and renewed so you can be back up and running in a couple days.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

12_String posted:

Fantastic! Thank you!

Enom has confirmed they have emailed you your EPP code. This allows you to transfer your domain to another registrar. You have a limited window to do this. Let me know if I can help with anything else! Good luck getting your site back online :)

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

12_String posted:

That's fantastic!

There is absolutely no way I could have done it myself. You have better support than Made2Own without knowing me as any more than a name on a forum.

Email sent.

I hate seeing people get screwed over or taken advantage of. I'm just glad I was able to assist you with your issues. Good luck with your site, let me know if I can be of any other assistance.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

sholin posted:

You only pay once for it to be setup, so $10. But that's a hilarious rip off, all it takes to use Google Apps for domains is a couple DNS records...

It's not a ripoff, we aren't selling Google Apps since it is free. The $10 just covers the setup of DNS records and the creation of the Google Apps account and configuring the services in Google Apps. It takes about 15 minutes so $10 is fair for someone that is completely clueless about DNS and MX Records.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
It's a convenience charge. Everyone has the ability to modify their own DNS records and MX records and register for a free account. It's just an option for those too lazy or ignorant. If someone is willing to pay for it so they don't have to do it, is it really a ripoff? You are entitled to your opinion but saying that I am ripping people off isn't very nice!

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Pram posted:

Is there a quick way to migrate stuff from a windows plesk server to whm on linux? Like beyond just scp'ing and mysqldump'ing everything over etc. This looks like a major pain in the rear end. :shepicide:

http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/WHMDocs/CopyMultiple

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

adonis_dna posted:

I'm shopping around for a dedicated server to host my ASP.NET application and could use some help, specifically on choosing how much/how little hardware I need. I know it's a tough/relative question, but hear me out:

The application is SAAS. I expect to have only 100 users within a year but will also be hosting the simple HTML "storefront" site on the same server which will be where non-members can read about and purchase the application. Users get 1GB of storage and the application itself does a lot of database work; an average page load involves 2-10 SQL queries and a single user might create anywhere from 1,000-30,000 entries.

I'm looking at this package from SoftLayer:

Processor: Xeon 5130 Dual Core (Single Processor)
1 x 4MB Cache
2GB FB-DIMM 533 / 667 ECC RAM
Reboot / KVM Over IP
3000GB Public Bandwidth
Free Inbound Bandwidth
Free Private Network Bandwidth
1 Public IP Address
Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit
250GB Harddrive

Should this be capable of handling the load I described? What typically creates bottlenecks in these sorts of situations (e.g. number of queries per second, number of entries per user, page size..)?

As you can tell, I'm very familiar with the programming side of things but this is my first excursion into server management. :)

SQL is likely going to be your downfall. You may consider a cheap server to host the content and have a slightly beefier server that is strictly SQL. You get free private network bandwidth and can have the SQL server non-public facing but directly accessible by the web server. This may be a bit over-kill to get you started but its definitely something to consider.

Edit:
That server should do just fine to get you started. You can always upgrade hardware and add drives. The only thing to consider is you can't upgrade your 250gb drive to a 1TB drive later if needed without significant cost from Softlayer. They'll add second and third drives but swapping your primary drive gets expensive. You might start with a larger drive to save cost later. I would also suggest a second drive so you can setup a mirror. It at least provides a basic redundancy in the event of a hardware failure.

DarkLotus fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 9, 2011

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

MonkeyFit posted:

I "run" a small phpbb3 board for my gaming buddies with about 50 members. Every time somebody new signs up they need to be approved by an admin. This means the board uses the mass email option to mail the same 5-6 people that somebody needs to be approved, and this only happens maybe a couple times a month, if that. I'm currently on free hosting, which is slow, and has also automatically shut down my site twice because they don't like the whole mass mail thing. I've disabled new registrations until I can get it sorted out, but I'm generally unhappy with them and am looking to move.

I'd like something cheap that allows mass email. I was looking at lithium hosting, but they haven't responded to my pre-sales question detailing this exact question. Can anyone recommend a cheap host that would allow me to use mass email?

Mass mailing is allowed and you'd be fine with the $1.00 / month plan. I never received an email from you, feel free to post in the SA-Mart thread if you have questions.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Comatoast posted:

I don't have any useful information about your question, but I do have a suggestion: google apps.

Agreed. It's free too, can't go wrong!
http://www.google.com/a/cpanel/domain/new

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Harmonica posted:

:words:

Submit a ticket @ Lithium Hosting to have your account transferred from your old host, you don't accept PMs and I don't know which hosting account is yours or I would contact you in a different way.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
I've seen this problem too much recently and it is really starting to bother me how helpless people think they are with regards to their domain names.

A hosting provider can sell domain names as a reseller through an accredited domain registrar. This does not make the hosting a provider an actual domain registrar.

It seems that a lot of people end up losing access to their domain because the hosting provider goes out of business or stops replying to customer emails. Maybe they think that by neglecting these requests, they can keep the domain and keep billing the customer.

The bottom line is, you own your domain. It doesn't matter where you register it, whether they are a Registrar or a reseller.

If you lose access to your domain, use the following WHO-Is search to determine who it is registered through, then contact that Registrar and request access to your domain name.

Reference: http://www.icann.org/en/faq/#regco

http://www.internic.net/whois.html

quote:

http://www.icann.org/en/faq/#transfer

"If you're having trouble transferring your domain from one registrar
to another, you should contact the registrar you want to transfer to
for assistance. If your preferred registrar is having any trouble
processing your transfer, your registrar can obtain assistance from
ICANN or the registry operator as appropriate."

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

JHVH-1 posted:

Just because it is possible doesn't mean it is going to be easy, and keeping this separate where possible is usually a nice thing to have.

Like Friday for example, Directnic had a DDOS attack on their site and DNS servers. One of my customers was using them for registrar and DNS management so his whole site was down, and he couldn't log in to get or update records.

Agreed, it's not always best to keep all your eggs in one basket. That isn't what I was talking about. My post was just about recovering your domain if the company you bought it from won't work with you!

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

dolicf posted:

I've never seen it, though they might exist.

An easier solution would be to get a host that offers SSH access. You can then tunnel HTTP and DNS traffic over an SSH connection. Google should provide a million tutorials for whatever OS and browser you're using.

Mosts hosts don't allow SSH Tunneling because the bandwidth can't be limited and deducted from the plan bandwidth.

I'd suggest a VPS or Dedicated Server for this type of thing.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone else have reviews of other low-price VPS providers? I was thinking about buying a 256MB VPS from either Host90 or VirtualSRV (or someone else from https://www.lowendbox.com) to play around with. That site has a forum but nobody talks about actually doing anything with their VPS except collecting them or running speedtests.

Try serveraxis.com

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

jackpot posted:

I know there's probably better threads for this, but this one seems appropriate. I don't need hosting, but I have a question about webhosting:

Say a guy owns website.com, and then he buys website.net and transfers his site over there. He registers the .com domain through a different company, and changes the hosting to them, too. He uses the .com for a totally different site.

He had an email address at the old site, guy@website.com. But he didn't setup that email address when he changed the domain registration a month ago. So...if someone sent him an email over the past month, to guy@website.com, where'd it go? Does it just disappear into the ether, since that address doesn't exist with the new hosting? Or is it maybe in some catch-all email account, either at the new host or the old? The old hosting was a company called BigBlackBag; the new hosting is Godaddy.

If there's some way to get these lost emails, can someone explain how?

The default setting for most mail systems is to bounce or blackhole emails that are sent to an account that doesn't exist. While a catch-all might be an option with either host, most likely it is turned off by default. I wouldn't count on those emails being anywhere at all.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

:words:
Can you post this in the Lithium Hosting thread? I'll gladly answer your questions there.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Surmy posted:

Long story short, a few years ago I started a website just as a little hobby and it has slowly evolved into a bit more than that. Not knowing better at the time I got both my domain and hosting from the same company... How screwed am I? What is the easiest option for getting my domain transferred somewhere else?

It is very rare to be in a situation where you are screwed. Most companies resell domains. This means you can always contact the Registrar and file a complaint. Your best course of action is to contact the place you bought your domain from and ask for it to be unlocked and for them to give you the EPP or Transfer Code. You can take the transfer code to any registrar or hosting provider and transfer your domain to them.

I've helped plenty of people recover their domains from deadbeat hosts who ended up just reselling Enom or Resellerclub domains. If you need any help or advice, shoot me a PM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Surmy posted:

I'm also considering moving hosting as my current host is quite useless as far as their customer support goes. How much is moving hosts going to hurt my search ranking? Is there anything I can do to mitigate this?

Thanks for the help

I can't think of any reason your search ranking would be affected as long as the transfer doesn't cause your site to be unavailable for an extended period of time.

Any cPanel based web host can easily transfer your site with little to no downtime and all you have to do is update your name servers.

Edit: Also, what JHVH-1 said!

DarkLotus fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 6, 2011