Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

GofG posted:

If I were just looking for a shell account somewhere where I could screen my irssi (I drive to several different buildings per day and find it irritating to have to restart all of my network apps), where should I look?

go on irc and find someone with a vps and ask them for an account

or pay 3 bux a month at http://www.amdwebhost.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns
I remember hearing about this one hosting company that offers VPS's to users which are really cheap, but are completely unsupported. I think I remember hearing about how they get their hardware from some other larger hosting company as handy downs when the larger company upgrades. I can't remember the name of this company, can anoyone help me out?

Also, theres another company (which I can't remember the name of either) thats similar in that their VPS's are completely unmanaged. The website is plain text and their prices are half of what linode/slicehost costs, and you get the same specs.

Basically I'm wanting to move from my Linode account to something thats roughly the same size, yet a little cheaper. I've been administrating sites deployed on VPS's for years now and have never had the need to file a single ticket. Why pay extra for stuff you'll never use?

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

post your specs and what you pay

currently I pay $20 for a linode 360, which is great but I could use a little more RAM.

quote:

http://www.prgmr.com keep in mind you get what you pay for as performance wise they do not stack up to Linode/etc.

Awesome, thats the one. Sucks that they don't offer 32bit Ubuntu though :(