Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

RiSK posted:

Just got this from HostHop. Weren't they Goon ran or at least didn't they post on the forums or something?

Uh. How lovely is this? "THOSE IP'S ARE GOING OFFLINE AND THERE AIN'T NO WAY WE'LL TELL YOU WHY!"

I'm pretty sure that the guy (kid?) who started it up left someone else with the bills and the accounting system (auto bill processing) crashed a few months ago. Support tickets generally haven't been answered in the past year or so either.

It's a shame, since if they sold it, they'd at least made a few bucks off the biz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

If you're willing or able to run your own primary DNS, buddyns.com runs a very nice secondary service for free*.

* - based on query volume, but high enough that you probably don't need to worry. Otherwise it's like $2/mo.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

fuf posted:

That can't be normal right? Can anyone explain what "First Packet" means exactly? Am I right that it suggests a slow server response time? Basically I need to know whether I should be blaming my hosting provider or if the problem lies with my image-heavy, badly optimised websites.

Also start doubting the server that's doing the test if it's really weird results (25seconds??).

Lots of these companies just use the cheapest vps server they can find in the region - even worse is when they don't tell you when the server moves...

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

nielsm posted:

2) offers shell access to run deployment scripts (but not necessarily background jobs)

Check out phpshell if all you need is a way of running non-interactive scripts on a host as your web user.

Of course lots of hosts hate people running it rather than locking down the machine properly.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Nope. Very roughly put: these bugs basically allow anyone to read any physical memory on a machine. ie: javascript running on vm "A" can read vm "B"s memory.

(Which is why cloud providers are making GBS threads a brick and doing mass patches and reboots).

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

The answer is to become a google/ms reseller and they give you a 15-20% margin.

It's not the answer you want, but it's where the market has gone. Otherwise get a vps and install your favourite cpanel/whms/whatever and janitor it yourself.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Setup some kind of dmarc analysis - there's lots of ones out there and most have a free-tier (especially for non-profits) and it'll say what's failing for who (in a generic setting at least, not specific email addresses).

But to figure out what's wrong, you'll need the full headers from a failed message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

If you've actually configured all those details in your DNS, and google isn't finding them - check to make sure you've made the changes on the actual DNS provider. See many times where someone (usually a web developer) moved the DNS servers to a 3rd party hosting. If that's the case and you're not changing the 3rd party provider, then anything you do won't get picked up "live" and all your work is for nothing.