Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

If one wanted Subversion with lots of storage, is Dreamhost the only low-cost solution?

Edit: Never mind, I forgot I had a 130 GB CentOS server to install Subversion on. :chord:
Now I shall attempt some sort of SSL certificate...

Captain Pike fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Gelob posted:

Rumors are always true...:rolleyes:

Why are they firing Gelob? :ohdear:

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

My company makes small websites for various clients. (Some static, some LAMP, some .NET Core)

Our current 'DevOps' is to clone a CentOS LAMP AWS EC2 instance that we've made, then we SSH into it, and then we:

- Manually edit the Apache config file for the given subdomain and SSL cert files.
- Manually structure the mariadb tables
- Manually sftp upload the html/js/php files.
- Hope to God we remember to manually upload files to this web server for every Git push we make...
- Repeat the process for staging/production.
- When it's time to 'deploy' from staging to production, we delete the previous 'production' EC2 instance, clone the existing 'staging' EC2 instance, and point our 'production' IP address to the new clone.

This sucks. I would love to have "continuous deployment', meaning faster and easier server creation, and most importantly, synchronization of Git pushes to files on the webservers. For example, the html/js/jpg/php files on the 'staging' server would automatically receive any updates that are pushed to the 'staging' branch of our Git repo.

Digital Ocean's new 'Apps' feature seems to do this, and it even gives you an automatic SSL cert (if you allow DO to manage your DNS). However, we can not use DO, because:

- Their 'Apps' feature does not support self-hosted Gitlab repos
- Our biggest clients insist on AWS

AWS seems to offer like four products that 'might' server our needs, but it's all confusing as poo poo. Elastic Beanstalk, CodeCommit, and Amplify all seem to offer pieces of what we need.

Should we:

- Use one of the above AWS services, OR
- Add a Git hook that calls a PHP script on our webservers, which in turn pulls our changed html/php/jpg files from Git, OR
- Learn to use Docker (And then figure out how to integrate our Docker images with Git. Like, does the entire Docker image go under Git source control, or do we like install Git *inside* the Docker image, and have the Docker image only pull changes from our html/php/jpg files...)

:tif:

Captain Pike fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 13, 2021

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Is there a good cheap basic static site host, something I can just deploy to from a github action? Just something I can throw a few dollars at so I don't burn through the github pages bandwidth limits if something spikes.

Digital Ocean's 'Apps' automatically pulls from Github repos, and is inexpensive: https://www.digitalocean.com/products/app-platform/