Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantsofdoom
Nov 20, 2003

i like pants

hello goons, i hope you can help me help my friend get away from wix. i'm assuming most all y'all ITT know more about domain transfers than i do.

the domain was purchased from and hosted with a site on wix. the original registrant is PersonA. we attempted to transfer the domain from wix to dreamhost, and in the process, also updaing the registrant from PersonA to PersonB.

we were able to initiate the transfer and get the transfer authorization code email from wix, except they sent 2 emails with 2 different codes for each request. we tried them all. none were successful.

did we gently caress up by trying to update registrant info and do a transfer at the same time?

it's been a few weeks and a whois shows the registrant is still PersonA, expires in 2024, the dns is still pointed at wix, and the registrar is network solutions (not sure if this is new or if that's just wix's registrar). but wix has done the needful on their end and stopped serving the site. thanks wix.

luckily, PersonA and PersonB are still homies and can work together on solving. i think the first step is to have PersonA try to log into network solutions and update the DNS to point at dreamhost so that we can at least get a site back up. then we can work on updating the registrant and transfering to a new registrar. i know that updating registrant info and transferring both lock the domain for 60 days, so i'm expecting to have to wait to do anything, but on day 61, should we update the contact info, then wait again to do the transfer, or do you think we went wrong some other way?

any guidance is aggressively appreicated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU