Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Elected by Dogs posted:

edit: also, contribution quote, my post from another thread: "There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth or disk space, it's essentially a lie. As soon as you start using any you're kicked off. Also, in addition, all of the major "unlimited" hosts show you prices with default range set to 2year+ prepay (some up to 10 year prepay) - when you pay monthly there's typically a huge setup fee plus it costs nearly double or triple the price you were shown."

I've seen people run video hosting on HostGator account (which have "unlimited" bandwidth) for the Let's Play subforum, and as far as I know, they didn't have any problems. Well, to a certain limit, I suppose, but basically, for all reasonable intents and purposes it worked fine.

An example of this is GrimFiend, which has hosted quite a few LPs, and is run by Static_Fiend on a HostGator account. I'm fairly sure that site has pulled quite a bit of bandwidth without any problems, though it's probably better to ask him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Arcana posted:

I'm currently torn between Hostgator and Steadfast...Hostgator says they have a 250,000 i-node limit per shared account...which apparently counts for files and emails? vBulletin alone is like 7,000 files...so I'm not sure whether thats a reasonable limit or not. Steadfast is looking pretty good, hell its good enough for SA right?

The inode limit is very reasonable. There's one inode per file/directory, so you'll have a hard time filling it up as long as you're reasonable.

The only case where I could see it being a problem would be with a public imagehost, but that isn't allowed on HostGator.

If you have 200k+ files lying around on your website, you should consider if it wouldn't be wiser to keep some of it in a database anyway.