Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I would recommend cloudflare for free dns hosting, its pretty big and lots of foss support it directly like letsencrypt.

The cloud providers are real cheap but the variable pricing could be bad if someone want to throw a botnet at you (very unlikely), for the absolute cheapest fixed pricing vps hosting checkout https://lowendbox.com/.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I gave up containerizing letsencrypt, I do it on the host and added reloading nginx to the post install hook.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
if you can get both accounts in outlook at the same time it should be as simple as drag and drop between them.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I can't vouch for current quality but buyvm.net is probably the cheapest you can find. You can get a VM starting at $2 a month and then attach a 2TB "slab" for $10 a month.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

fuf posted:

My hosting company sprung an IP address change on me with 2 weeks notice.

I host about 80 WordPress sites and the domains are spread across a million different registrars, mostly controlled directly by bumbling clients. Thankfully the nameservers aren't changing, but I reckon over half of them are just using A Records pointing straight to the IP address, so I've got a massive project ahead of me to get them all updated.

I could just update them all to the new IP the hosting company have provided, but I was wondering if I could get an IP address of my very own that would protect me against this stuff in the future.

Like an IP address that'll just stay the same forever that I can tell clients to use for their A record, and then I can point it at whatever final destination IP I want. That must be a thing right? I know AWS has an "elastic IP" thing.

Any tips on where / how to set something like that up? I'm worried it might affect performance though...

Thats basically what cloudflare does, they reverse proxy your site and and use an "anycast ip" that connects the closest pop and over cloudflares network to your site. In many cases it actually makes your site faster. You can do a lot with just the free tier of cloudflare but paying get you a lot more control. Amazon also offers AWS Global Accelerator https://aws.amazon.com/global-accelerator/features/ which is similar. Basically you want an "anycast ip" from a cloud company or a static ip from a regular host thats as close as possible to your host.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
There is also free tier oracle cloud and cloudflare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

PleasantDilemma posted:

Another question about switching email providers. Is there a tool to copy my existing emails to a new host? IMAP to IMAP? Google brings up guides that say my mail will stay in my client which is true, but is like to consolidate on one server.

If you have both accounts in a single mail client you can copy and paste.