Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Is IRC even that important? Important enough to poo poo this thread up with it?

Honestly, I am looking for a reply to DNova's post though :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I'm a fan of HostGator, myself. I've been through a few different goon-run hosts, and each has had it's fair share of problems. I've not experienced this with HG so far :)

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Captain Pike posted:

Why are they firing Gelob? :ohdear:

More like the company probably going under.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

optikalus posted:

Actually 8 3/4 hours if my math is correct. Still a ridiculous amount of downtime.

Your math is correct.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

VINEGAR BITTERS posted:

Ha, wow. I never really thought about how much time 0.1% of a year was. The hosts who advertise 99.99999% uptime make a lot more sense now. I used to think they were just being dramatic. :)

Yea, but when you break it down to the correct unit (hours, in this case), 8760 can have a huge difference.

But all things being equal, Im a partner in a Management Consulting firm, and 8 hours of downtime per year is completely acceptable.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Braggot posted:

What shared hosting company would be best to host a site with 30+ videos/screencasts? These aren't streamed from YouTube they would be hosted on the web server, probably 40mb per video.

I know BounceWeb supports ffmpeg on their shared hosting plans, but I wouldn't really recommend them for anything professional.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

optikalus posted:

Those are notoriously bad shared hosts.

On a huge level, nonetheless. I would never consider them for hosting :(

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

R1CH posted:

Welcome to every cPanel host.

Pretty much this. But having to reference the last 4 characters of your password is really way off par...

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

And you have to think about the majority of people have their domains set on "Auto-Renew" until they know they don't want it anymore.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Honestly, HostGator has never failed me, and I run a pretty large site.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

mcsuede posted:

They're definitely in the top of my initial research of shared hosts. Seem quite fast, great options. I'm sure they oversell like every shared host but oh well. I'm also thinking I could base the network on a shared host like HostGator and simply use cloud serving for media if the demand starts to spike before having to move to a full VPS solution.

You'd be surprised how low the load reads, and it's on a 16 core server, then again I'm on one of the reseller servers.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Are you going to run a closed beta like Bob said? This might be a good idea so you can test time needed/customer wants/feasibility et al.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Oops, I meant doesn't support net neutrality.

You should definitely edit that post :colbert:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Fangs404 posted:

Signed up for Linode and migrated my MediaTemple site there today. I haven't done much web administration stuff under Linux before, but it was really easy and straightforward thanks to Linode's amazing documentation. I just got the base 512mb plan, and it's much faster than MT was. The flexibility of a VPS is awesome.

I have encountered one problem, though. I have a WordPress blog installed. When I try to upload a plugin through the web interface ([domain]/wordpress/wp-admin/plugin-install.php?tab=upload), it doesn't work. I get taken to a page that wants my FTP login info. I assumed this is a permissions issue, so I chmodded 777 wp-content and all directories under that directory (plugins, themes, upgrade, and uploads). It still fails, though. I Googled some, and some people suggest to chown with the httpd user (www-data). I tried that just to see if it worked, and it did. I don't want to do that, though, because it's a pain in the rear end to upload files through SFTP, and it's also insecure. Does anyone know how to fix this without chowning all the files for the httpd process?

If you enter your FTP info, it will still install the plugin tho.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Biowarfare posted:

Hostable charges a non-refundable set up fee as well as its periodic service fee which in some cases may be refundable as further set forth elsewhere herein. Hostable charges an Annual Domain/DNS Maintenance Fee of $.17 per month per domain name, a Universal Internet Service (IPv6) Recovery Fee of $.07 per month per domain for Domain Only accounts and $.34 per month per domain for all other accounts, and a Wind Energy Surcharge of $.57 per month for all accounts except Domain Only accounts. Hostable may also charge you for Domain service fees and specifically reserves the right to institute additional charges upon notice to you. Hostable reserves the right to alter, change, amend or delete charges at its sole discretion. Hostable further reserves the right to institute new services and charge fees in association with the provision of such new services as it deems appropriate.

Which means it's $0.15 cheaper to go with Lithium Hosting. I'm surprised goons are recommending things like this without reading the fine print. That's still just under $14 per year, which is a long way from $.03 per year, which the ad stats :shobon:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

I apologize that we didn't update you on the progress but this is a pretty atypical situation.

Unfortunately, these are the issues that consumers pay the most attention to. "If I have an 'out of the oridnary problem/atypical' it will take days to resolve, with no updates on the status of the ticket, or progress shown that the issue is currently and actively being worked on. But if I need a simple MX record changed, it will take 0.37 seconds"

With good reasons, consumers need to pay more attention to how hosting companies handle "atypical" situations, not just how fast they respond to "hey i need this port opened."

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

To be fair it takes about the same amount of time to get an EPP as it does to add an MX record. Our biggest hurdle was actually getting the drat things from GoDaddy which is part of the reason we're dropping them in the first place. I'll gladly accept fault for not keeping angryhamster posted but it's not really necessary to come on here and accuse of being deadbeats and holding domains hostage until people pay us for hosting. That's not something that we EVER been done and we've always done our best to be prompt to customer requests.

My posts on here should be a testament to the fact we go far beyond the majority of other shared hosts.

Understood, and I agree. I always appreciate the goon run hosts who provide support/post on these forums in addition to regular ticket support.

I guess it was just the implication of 'atypical problem = more time' thing. I've run into a few hosts like that, and when asked for a real technical support issue, you can tell you're just getting boiler plate/run around answers. And that usually implies incompetence.

:)

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

What do you need it for, and what service can you provide in exchange? :)

I'll extend this offer as well. What do you actually need?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

You don't want to be a 24/7 sysadmin, which you'll end up being if you get an un-managed VPS/dedicated server. If you get a managed one, you'll just be poor.

Pretty much this.

I have a reseller account, and bill my clients $240 per year for website hosting/minor modifications.

YMMV.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

divio is hax posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the VPS hosting in the first post? I'm having difficulty understanding how the prices are determined. For example vps hosting like myhosting.com and vpsland.com are incredibly cheap - even when considering their windows server 2008 options... almost too cheap to be true. $20-30 prices for base packages. That is half what most everyone else charges. How are they getting away with this and what features would I be losing.

Edit: Does anyone know of a reputable VPS hosting review site or forum that specializes in this stuff?

FWIW I have a VPS through HostHop, which is also goon run (their thread is in the Mart), and have never had any problems.

https://www.hosthop.com

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Biowarfare posted:

don't register your domains at a host, don't host at a registrar

This is good advice. Best practice is to keep the two segragated.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

.....why? :psyduck:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

It looks like he might want something a little cheaper than that though.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Ive never used a separate SQL server, however Ive never dealt with that type of traffic.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Holy Diver posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for "SEO hosting" companies (ones that give you different C-class IP addresses for hosting multiple sites). All of the ones I'm running across are pretty skeevy

http://www.seohosting.com/

Run by the guys at HostGator.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

hayden. posted:

Not exactly hosting, but does anyone have a paid proxy service they'd recommend? I have a friend in Africa for a few months who wants to use her Netflix. Any idea how well it would work for that assuming her bandwidth in Africa is plenty?

Would't a $5 VPS and OpenVPN solve this problem?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

revmoo posted:

Interserver is like 20 bucks less which is not really enough of a discount to switch.

Well which one is it, man? :psyduck:

revmoo posted:

I'm getting a little tired of paying $70 a month for my server. Anyone know of a decent host with:

100mbit burst (1.5tb+ a month)
GOOD uptime
Eastern US

Don't care about CPU/RAM/DISK but I do want a dedicated box. I'd like to spend less than $50 a month if possible.

70 - 50 (which you said you wanted) is 20. But 20 isn't enough to switch. I'm confused. It it was 49.99 would you switch? I can't imagine $0.01 being a deal breaker...

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Yeah, you shouldn't really criticize something you haven't tried. And I sure as hell hope nobody here would make the mistake of trying a goon-run host.

Unless you've tried every goon run host, this post is horribly contradicting itself.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 8, 2011

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

ClosedBSD posted:

I think his point was more along the lines of "don't run a business website off a possibly (probably?) fly-by-night provider from a web forum, go with someone established."

Well drat. No one goto WebHostingTalk anymore :(

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

k\o\w posted:

I went with Lithium Hosting for this reason because I love how easy fantastico is. After getting really lovely support from them with way too much attitude and neckbeard stroking, I switched

Care to elaborate? I am looking for a new host, and had Lithium in my "considering" pool.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

JHVH-1 posted:

Its a shared environment, so if something got in it probably just stuck index.php everywhere it could write to.

it even affected dedicated server clients too :(

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I'll suggest NameCheap.

I'll advise against registering your domain through your hosting provider.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

drcru posted:

If she's already on Google apps, e.g. mail.yourdomain.com leads to gmail, then you shouldn't have to move anything!

I think he is :) Others may have misread... or I did :eng99:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

For what it's worth, I use Constant Contact to manage a list of about 1,300 contacts, and have no problems. I'd recommend them.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Seedbox?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I do all my webdev in Joomla, and highly recommend it.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

fungi^2 posted:

As you might expect, I'm looking for a new host with support guarantees. My top two right now are hostdime and bounceweb. Any experience reports?

Stay away from Bounceweb. Read their thread for a list of reasons why.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I'm willing to bet that using their service in that manner is against the TOS, so you won't really have a leg to stand on. I could be wrong though.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

VerySolidSnake posted:

No it's not, unless their sales people lie. Before I started the account I sent a link to Omnistar Drive to the salesperson, along with estimates on disk space usage. They kept saying "yes, it is unlimited".

Then they weren't understanding what OmniStar was. See the post above. You really can't be mad at them. At least you got away with it for as long as you did :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Not to mention that the odds of his "private file sharing service" almost certainly distributed copyright protected files. Not only is it against their TOS, it's also illegal. Just trying to convey that you shouldn't be mad at Dreamhost.

Dreamhost is a mediocre webhost at best anyways. Shared hosting is definitely not the place to run a :filez: site though.