Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Maybe on places that offer you "unlimited" hosting, but I should think that on a webhost where you pay for a set amount of bandwidth per month then it shouldn't be their business at all what you use that bandwidth for, provided it's not illegal.

Am I just talking crazy talk here or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Oh yeah, I know that. Shared hosting is cheap for a reason, after all.

I do my important hosting on a VPS which is more what I was thinking about when I mentioned set limits for resources each month. I have a shared account as well but that's pretty much just for hosting some LP videos that I have on my computer anyway so I wouldn't really care if they pulled the plug, I'd just take my $5 a month or whatever it is elsewhere.

Xythar fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 21, 2010

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Define "low-end". I can't imagine the more reputable VPS providers would have that reputation (or any customers) if they were known to randomly pull the accounts of customers without warning just because they were close to, but not in excess of, their advertised limits. That's crazytown.

The one I'm using currently does their own backups of all their VPSes every second day. To me this policy and a "we can pull your account and delete all your data without warning" policy would seem to be at complete cross purposes, unless I am misunderstanding you.

I mean, publishing the actual limits necessary for the service to be profitable, contacting people to let them know their resource usage is too high and suggesting they upgrade their plan? Fine. Even contacting someone say a month in advance to let them know that they can't offer the service anymore would be more believable than just wiping your data without warning.

Anyway I've had the VPS I have for nearly a year now with no problems so I don't think my resource usage is anything to worry about.